Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Anyone running Roush axle backs with x pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/12, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone running Roush axle backs with x pipe?

I am trying to decide what else I can do to liven up the exhaust on my 11' 5.0 with Roush Axle Backs. Was thinking maybe high flow cats with an x-pipe. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 4/17/12, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the Pypes 3" X Pipe with 3" tube back past the resonators. That really woke up my GT500 axle backs and should make your Roushs absolutely obnoxious!
Old 4/17/12, 11:12 PM

The Borla s-type and ATAK exhaust system sounds incredible. Have you looked into those options?
Old 4/17/12, 11:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the FRPP after cat xpipe with my roush's. It mellowed out the rasp and nearly eliminated the popping while giving it an overall deeper growl. It's more refined now, not obnoxious at all, unless I want it to be. Now on the other hand, if you're looking to be louder and more obnoxious, then off road xpipe and/or headers are what you want.
Old 4/18/12, 07:36 AM
GT Member

I have a bassani after cat xpipe with roush axle backs and the sound is monstrous. I installed the xpipe before i put in my tune and intake on, and let me tell you it was good for at least a 10hp pop.. no more raspy sound just pure muscle sound. I love the reverb sound that bounces off of cars going by in the other direction. All i can say its a tone you don't here from other muscle cars of a different make.

Last edited by kona stang10; 4/18/12 at 07:38 AM.
Old 4/18/12, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10
I have a bassani after cat xpipe with roush axle backs and the sound is monstrous. I installed the xpipe before i put in my tune and intake on, and let me tell you it was good for at least a 10hp pop.. no more raspy sound just pure muscle sound. I love the reverb sound that bounces off of cars going by in the other direction. All i can say its a tone you don't here from other muscle cars of a different make.

This is what I am wanting and I am thinking of Steeda CAI with tunes and the Cam Idle tune
Old 4/18/12, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
Try the Pypes 3" X Pipe with 3" tube back past the resonators. That really woke up my GT500 axle backs and should make your Roushs absolutely obnoxious!

Really DUMB question, what part is the resonators? I am trying to visualize the exhaust setup.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 4/18/12, 08:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Grifftech

Really DUMB question, what part is the resonators? I am trying to visualize the exhaust setup.

Thanks,
Chris
Cylinders on the exhaust just in front of the rear tires.
Old 4/18/12, 08:27 AM
Cobra R Member

You need to get a video or sound clip ASAPPPPP Pleaseeeee. You're the only one ive seen with bassani X and roush's. I'd love to hear it, that's the X pipe ive been wanting.

Where'd you buy it from and how much?
Old 4/18/12, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

What is the purpose of the resonators and is the 3" tube from the x-pipe to the axle backs removing the resonators, and if so where do you get the 3" tube from?

Thanks,
CHris
Old 4/18/12, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
You need to get a video or sound clip ASAPPPPP Pleaseeeee. You're the only one ive seen with bassani X and roush's. I'd love to hear it, that's the X pipe ive been wanting.

You still have resonators?
Old 4/18/12, 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

The resonators quiet down the exhaust sort of like a glass pack muffler does and they change the sound a bit also.

The stock H pipe is very restrictive, it goes from 3' down to 2 1/4" and doesn't enlarge until just after the resonator where it goes back up to 2 3/4". The tubing can be purchased online or at a muffler shop that does the work for you. (3" stainless tubing is a bit pricey, aluminized steel is cheap and will work if you are on a budget). I had my mechanic do the work, the X pipe bolts up after cat and the 3" tube is welded on to the X pipe and then to the axle back after the resonator.

What is the purpose of the resonators and is the 3" tube from the x-pipe to the axle backs removing the resonators, and if so where do you get the 3" tube from?

Thanks,
CHris

Last edited by Trumpetlon; 4/18/12 at 12:02 PM.
Old 4/18/12, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

The resonators quiet down the exhaust sort of like a glass pack muffler does and they change the sound a bit also.

The stock H pipe is very restrictive, it goes from 3' down to 2 1/4" and doesn't enlarge until just after the resonator where it goes back up to 2 3/4". The tubing can be purchased online or at a muffler shop that does the work for you. (3" stainless tubing is a bit pricey, aluminized steel is cheap and will work if you are on a budget). I had my mechanic do the work, the X pipe bolts up after cat and the 3" tube is welded on to the X pipe and then to the axle back after the resonator.

So you are saying keep the resonators and put new 3" pipe between the x-pipe and resonators and then 3" from resonators to axle backs?

How much louder do you think it would be if I just removed the resonators and went with the x-pipe then 3" all the way to the axle backs?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 4/18/12, 03:18 PM
Bullitt Member

So you are saying keep the resonators and put new 3" pipe between the x-pipe and resonators and then 3" from resonators to axle backs?

How much louder do you think it would be if I just removed the resonators and went with the x-pipe then 3" all the way to the axle backs?

Thanks,
Chris
No, delete the resonators with the 3" pipe. Have the X pipe installed and then have the pipe welded in to the X pipe back to the axle back deleting the resonators. The sound level will increase with this mod but it all depends on your mufflers. The Roush are pretty loud but sound good if volume is what you are going for.
Old 4/18/12, 03:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS

i bought them at american muscle:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/bassan...pe-2011gt.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-...ck-2011gt.html
Old 4/18/12, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Post a clip of your exhaust with the two together PWEEESE !!!
Old 4/18/12, 10:46 PM
GT Member

Any welding needed?
Old 4/19/12, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
Any welding needed?
The Pypes 3" X pipe bolts on to the cats but has to be welded into the system, so yes there is welding required. Best mod I've done so far!
Old 4/19/12, 10:47 AM
GT Member

The Pypes 3" X pipe bolts on to the cats but has to be welded into the system, so yes there is welding required. Best mod I've done so far!
Thanks. I missed your post a few posts up saying it needed to be welded.
Old 4/21/12, 07:08 PM
GT Member

I have tons of videos of my car when I had the Roush and the Pypes X. Go here and check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mbreinin?feature=mhee

Quick Reply: Anyone running Roush axle backs with x pipe?