5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

For anyone that installed Koni sports themselves

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/12, 09:31 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For anyone that installed Koni sports themselves

I just attempted the rear shock install. The instructions included indicates 37 ft/lbs for an M12 (which is what the threaded piston measures). When I attempted to torque the nuts the rubber bushings got so compressed that the spilled out way past the washers, in fact I couldn’t get them to 37 ft/lbs, tried 26 ft/lbs (spec’ed for M10) still could couldn’t get there (as in the torque wrench didn't click) as the washer still looked way too compressed. I finally settled on the pics below.
As you can see the rubber bushings still exceeds the width of the washer but this amount of bushing compression is as comfortable as I feel they should be compressed. Would you believe this is 10 ft/lbs? Am I doing something wrong? I used two different torque wrenches (one of which was recently calibrated to +/- 1%), same result. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails For anyone that installed Koni sports themselves-rear-driver-wheel-well.jpg   For anyone that installed Koni sports themselves-rear-driver-trunk.jpg  
Old 1/25/12, 10:50 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Locotone07
I just attempted the rear shock install. The instructions included indicates 37 ft/lbs for an M12 (which is what the threaded piston measures). When I attempted to torque the nuts the rubber bushings got so compressed that the spilled out way past the washers, in fact I couldn’t get them to 37 ft/lbs, tried 26 ft/lbs (spec’ed for M10) still could couldn’t get there (as in the torque wrench didn't click) as the washer still looked way too compressed. I finally settled on the pics below.
As you can see the rubber bushings still exceeds the width of the washer but this amount of bushing compression is as comfortable as I feel they should be compressed. Would you believe this is 10 ft/lbs? Am I doing something wrong? I used two different torque wrenches (one of which was recently calibrated to +/- 1%), same result. What do you guys think?
It's a bit too tight, but don't worry about it. Maybe back off a turn or two, but no more.
Old 1/25/12, 10:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's a bit too tight, but don't worry about it. Maybe back off a turn or two, but no more.
Do you have these on your car? Did you use a torque wrench? So, what you're saying is torque to less than 10 ft/lbs? Because that's what their at right now (as pictured).
Old 1/26/12, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I did the sports myself, and the koni instructions say not to mushroom the bushings which is what happens when you torque them to the Ford spec 37ftlbs. I just did it by eye then try torquing it to 20lbs and see if it still looks like that if so back off a few pounds.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your other post, the pictures look about right. You could try a little more lbs and see how it looks. Remember, as long as they don't look squished.

Last edited by alcarames; 1/26/12 at 07:21 AM.
Old 1/26/12, 07:28 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
I did the sports myself, and the koni instructions say not to mushroom the bushings which is what happens when you torque them to the Ford spec 37ftlbs. I just did it by eye then try torquing it to 20lbs and see if it still looks like that if so back off a few pounds.

Edit: Sorry I didn't see your other post, the pictures look about right. You could try a little more lbs and see how it looks. Remember, as long as they don't look squished.
My Koni instructions don't say anything. They're more like IKEA instructions with just pics (none which look like mushrooms) and included torque specs. The way it looks right now actually looks a little too "squished" to me, but at I'm afraid of taking them to less than 10 ft/lbs (remember factory spec is 30 ft/lbs and the Koni spec i s 37 ft/lbs)
Old 1/26/12, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, no mushroom, sorry for using the wrong description. Based on the pictures it shows you the squished bushing with a big X and then the way you have it with a check or ok. If it doesn't say ok or have a check but says something else I apologize in advance because it's been a while.
Old 1/26/12, 03:19 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never torqued shocks. Always tightened them so the bushing slightly exceeds the washer - because that's how they looked from the factory. Couple of hundred thousand miles and no issues.
Old 1/26/12, 04:09 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Locotone07
Do you have these on your car? Did you use a torque wrench? So, what you're saying is torque to less than 10 ft/lbs? Because that's what their at right now (as pictured).
Yes I have them. I did mine up until they just bulged past the washer, which is a good match to cdynaco's advice.
Old 1/26/12, 04:47 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes I have them. I did mine up until they just bulged past the washer, which is a good match to cdynaco's advice.

Just looked at the fronts, no instructions, pictograms or otherwise, just a bag with 2 nuts, 2 lockwashers and 2 plastic split washers...What do I do with the plastic split washers? Besides the instructions am I missing any other parts?