Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Any one use a Bully Dog just to monitor?

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/13, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one use a Bully Dog just to monitor?

Hey all I am looking for some way that I can constantly monitor my engine (temps, RPM's, MPG, oil pressure, ect) all at the same time. My main concern for this is I have lost 2 sets of HG's on my '95 within a year due to overheating so I am kinda watch my temps like a hawk. Also I am one of those worry about everything, "The More You Know" kinda guy. The only two devises I have found that do this kinda work are Bully Dog (http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=1) at $300, and Ultra Gauge (http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/) at $70. Feedback on either, or other options are very welcome.

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 9/23/13, 09:25 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Have you considered using Torque or a similar app? It'd be much cheaper.
Old 9/23/13, 10:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I will be honest that I have never used a app but I would imagine it would be no where near close to be correct without plugging into the OBDII port. That is my idea behind using the Bully.
Old 9/23/13, 11:57 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
I will be honest that I have never used a app but I would imagine it would be no where near close to be correct without plugging into the OBDII port. That is my idea behind using the Bully.
It does plug into the OBDII port. You'll need to buy a Bluetooth adapter for the port, which is around $10 if I remember correctly. And the app shows a lot of good info.
Old 9/23/13, 01:18 PM

For a cheap solution, give the Ultra Gauge a look http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/. Had this in my prior car and loved all the customized pages of data you could select from the OBD-II port.

Here's a pic when I had it hooked up on my 2011 Maxima:

Name:  C2JLbyt.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  279.9 KB
Old 9/23/13, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Have you considered using Torque or a similar app? It'd be much cheaper.
Torque is another good option and one you can use a wireless bluetooth transmitter plugged into your OBD-II port. I know some guys running this with an app on their tablet or phone and works pretty well.
Old 9/23/13, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so you know in case you didn't Matt, you have some really hiqh quality free logging software. Since you have the Bama Tune, I'm assuming you have the SCT tuner? I think you can log right on the SCT tuner I believe. But an even better option which I've used is SCT's LiveLink software. It's got a ton of parameters you can log and is free! It uses the SCT tuner and connects to your laptop.
http://sctflash.com/LiveLink.php
Old 9/25/13, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
It does plug into the OBDII port. You'll need to buy a Bluetooth adapter for the port, which is around $10 if I remember correctly. And the app shows a lot of good info.
I did not know you could do it through BT. I will definitly look into this.

Originally Posted by VQ to 5-OH
For a cheap solution, give the Ultra Gauge a look http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/. Had this in my prior car and loved all the customized pages of data you could select from the OBD-II port.

Here's a pic when I had it hooked up on my 2011 Maxima:

Thanks! This is exactly what I want. Something mounted near the dash (I would put it next to the A pillar) so I can see it without looking down for it.

Originally Posted by VQ to 5-OH
Torque is another good option and one you can use a wireless bluetooth transmitter plugged into your OBD-II port. I know some guys running this with an app on their tablet or phone and works pretty well.
Now that it was pointed out to me I can use a BT transmitter I will look into this first. I love not having to worry about hiding another wire. And being that I already have the tablet mod:
Name:  null_zpsebfc5f3a.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  128.1 KB

It will be perfect.

Wonder what the app cost. Anyone know how accurate it is?

Originally Posted by db2797
Just so you know in case you didn't Matt, you have some really hiqh quality free logging software. Since you have the Bama Tune, I'm assuming you have the SCT tuner? I think you can log right on the SCT tuner I believe. But an even better option which I've used is SCT's LiveLink software. It's got a ton of parameters you can log and is free! It uses the SCT tuner and connects to your laptop.
http://sctflash.com/LiveLink.php
Yes I do the the Bama tuner but I want something I can mount to the windshield or dash with a easy to read screen while I am driving. The BAMA tuner unfortunately does not allow this.

Thanks again guys for all the help!
Old 9/25/13, 10:35 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Wonder what the app cost. Anyone know how accurate it is?
There is a free version, but the paid version is only $5. It'll show temps, voltages, speed, rpms, 0-60, etc. I'd guess it's as accurate as your car's computer.
Old 9/25/13, 05:07 PM
GT Member

I honestly don't like torque. It is a neat novelty, but I like my scangauge better. The UltraGauge looks cool and for that price it's dirt cheap.
Old 9/26/13, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I am thinking of going with the gauge more than the app. I don't want to look down for the info, I would rather have it right there at eye level so i don't have to take my eyes off the road.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Matthew
Old 9/26/13, 01:17 PM

I love my UltraGauge. For $60, it really gives you all the info you want or need to know outside of oil and trans temp. At least the IP screen in the 2013+ models already gives you cylinder head, IAT and a silly LCD gauge of the oil temp.