5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/11, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?

I was also wondering what is the best method and jack points for getting the car in the air. how high do you need to get it for catback install ?
I'm doing a Barton shifter this weekend and I need to get it in the air to loosen the shifter cradle.
Old 1/12/11, 08:56 AM
Cobra Member

I have the magnaflow competition catback and I had to put it up on my uncles lift. There was no way to fit those pipes up there when it was on regular jack stands.

I just installed the steeda tri ax shifter (which is the same process as the barton) JUst play it by ear. It needs to be high enough for you to get under and get your hands up to loosen those two bolts
Old 1/12/11, 10:50 AM
V6 Member

thanks Ethan,
I kinda figured I was gonna have to take it somewhere to install the catbacks..when I get them...
what jacking points did you use ?
I was watching the Boss 302 special on speed vision and it looked like they were jacking the whole side of the car under the door and then going to the other side.
Old 1/12/11, 10:56 AM
V6 Member

I also heard ....from an X-pipe supplier that the x-pipe is a waste of money unless going with longtube headers....he said there's no proof of HP gains from an x-pipe....
Old 1/12/11, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wally10
I also heard ....from an X-pipe supplier that the x-pipe is a waste of money unless going with longtube headers....he said there's no proof of HP gains from an x-pipe....
I don't think that is accurate; a lot of people on the forums have shown great gains with an x-pipe plus catback.
Old 1/12/11, 07:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

I installed a magnaflow catback, O/R h-pipe and Pro 5.0 shifter on my 05 GT using just floor jack and stands in my garage, without a problem. I also installed a Pro 5.0 shifter on my 08 SGT the same way. I can't imagine the 2011 GT is that much different. It's better/easier using a lift, but most likely not necessary.
Old 1/17/11, 05:48 AM
V6 Member

I installed the Barton Shifter this weekend....holy crap....what a difference !!
Never a doubt of whether you are in 1st, 3rd, or Reverse !
very mechanical shifts and short throws.....AWESOME !!

jacked the car up on 1side put 2 jackstands just inboard of the pinchpoints...worked great !

looks like there might be enough room to do a catback install....but not sure. I'll have to do more research on whether or not there IS enough room.
Old 1/18/11, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't installed Maggies on my 2011 5.0 yet, but I've donw them on 3 different S197s. Since most of the body is the same, it should be easy to install with just jack stands and a basic jack.

The trick is jack the rear up high enough to let the axle droop freely and still have plenty of room to work under the car safely. Getting the stock mufflers off is the most irritating part, but having racheting wrenches really helps a lot.
Old 1/19/11, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

thanks Blue,
Old 1/19/11, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

I installed the Barton Shifter this weekend....holy crap....what a difference !!
Never a doubt of whether you are in 1st, 3rd, or Reverse !
very mechanical shifts and short throws.....AWESOME !!

jacked the car up on 1side put 2 jackstands just inboard of the pinchpoints...worked great !

looks like there might be enough room to do a catback install....but not sure. I'll have to do more research on whether or not there IS enough room.
Sorry I didn't get back to you on the jack points. I went away and didnt have a chance to check the forum. Happy you got everything installed right! I hear the barton shifter is awesome with an even shorter throw than the steeda.
Old 1/19/11, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
I don't think that is accurate; a lot of people on the forums have shown great gains with an x-pipe plus catback.
I was hoping recently for HP gain with the X pipe and Magnaflow axel back, but on the bench it showed little gain. I'm going to try again but bad weather has stopped that. However, the tuner who has been around a long time, told me that the Mustang has a good exhaust flow stock. But it sounds better. Then again I have a 2008 GT.
Old 1/23/11, 12:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

I was also wondering what is the best method and jack points for getting the car in the air. how high do you need to get it for catback install ?
I'm doing a Barton shifter this weekend and I need to get it in the air to loosen the shifter cradle.
I don't have a vid, but here is a picture of mine on the lift when we did the Magnaflow cat-back install.
Attached Thumbnails any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?-dsc01698.jpg  
Old 1/23/11, 05:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we see them from other angles? They look like they stick out past the fascia.
Old 1/24/11, 04:03 PM
V6 Member

geezzz ya think ford would just throw a coat of paint on the axle ?? c'mon !!
so you got the comp series..huh ? I was just thinking of getting the street series.
any pro's or con's to either ?
Old 1/25/11, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

I have the comp too. The drone is pretty bad. Magnaflow told me the street has much less drone. But I definitely like the deep sound of the comp more than the street.

I would just like to get the drone to go away lol
Old 1/25/11, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

maybe I'll just stick with the street version....that's my decision....
for now...
Old 1/29/11, 01:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
Can we see them from other angles? They look like they stick out past the fascia.
They are sticking out past the fascia. I wanted them like that. I felt they looked better, but there is enough leeway to have them flush or slightly in.
Old 1/29/11, 01:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

geezzz ya think ford would just throw a coat of paint on the axle ?? c'mon !!
so you got the comp series..huh ? I was just thinking of getting the street series.
any pro's or con's to either ?
The street set is quieter that the comp, so you should get less drone. Remember that if you go with the cat-back you lose the power robbing OEM resonators that dampens out most of the drone your system would have. I'm hoping that once the headers go on the drone will go away but if it doesn't no biggie.
Old 1/29/11, 01:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
These are the only other angles I have at the moment and like I said you don't have to have yours like this. Also note this is not the stock rear fascia.
Attached Thumbnails any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?-dsc01696.jpg   any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?-dsc01710.jpg  
Old 2/14/11, 11:10 AM
V6 Member

how do I upload pics ?

how do I upload pics on here ??
Attached Thumbnails any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?-2011-02-12_16-42-17_.jpg   any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?-mid-pipe.jpg  

Quick Reply: any install vids out there for Magnaflow catbacks ?