Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Any Cylinder #8 issues with Tuned Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/14, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Any Cylinder #8 issues with Tuned Auto?

Well after a few months of owning my 5.0, the time has come for more power. I want to get my car tuned but I have my reservations because I don't want to drop cylinder #8.

My question is, has anyone with the 6R80 blown their motor?

All the threads I could find in regards to this issue were with MT82 cars.

Btw, I have a '11 GT.

Thanks.
Old 5/21/14, 07:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
Well after a few months of owning my 5.0, the time has come for more power. I want to get my car tuned but I have my reservations because I don't want to drop cylinder #8.

Btw, I have a '11 GT.

Thanks.
I have a '11 GT Auto.

-From what I understand the issues that were relating to the #8 cylinder and the tunes has been fixed, but thats my understanding, i could be wrong. It seems that it had something to do with the base SCT(i think) file that tuners were using. A lot of the better known tuners like Lund and AED people were having a almost no issues. I went with bama and Haven't had any issues, I tuned my car a few months after i bought it, which was used an had 900 miles on it. It now has 37k and still no issues.

-I currently have sitting in my basement a VMP TVS supercharger that I will be installing this weekend, I have no reservations that the motor will be able to handle it and the trans. I've seen plenty of people with the auto trans running 600hp with no issues.
Old 5/21/14, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

rmurer is correct. It was tune related in the early stages of discovering the car.

Check out my post here that will explain exactly what caused the #8 failure.

-Matt
Old 5/21/14, 08:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Steeda has had 0 engine failures when tuning a car.

You are in good hands with Steeda ... you can send me an email at tim@steeda.com if you would like me to put you in contact with our tuner?

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 5/21/14, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,

I would not be concerned about dropping the #8 cylinder. As mentioned, this was an issue for many tuning companies when these cars first came out. Since then just about all the companies have updated their tunes to prevent this from happening. Bama has had numerous revisions since the #8 cylinder issue. In addition to updating the tunes themselves, Bama also offers a warranty to put to rest any concerns people might have with their tunes.

I hope this information helps, and if you have any questions feel free to get back in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 5/21/14, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now about tuning it. Just makes me nervous because I've heard of the early '11 builds having tuning issues.

I wasn't sure if it was a tune issue, or if guys were just spinning them too fast with their MT82. You can read so many threads on this issue, but I only get so far.

I have read about the global timing issue that advanced the timing on top of the advance the tuner made when editing the base SCT tune. I've also read about bad fuel, but I fill up at busy intercity stations with 91 only, so I'm not worried about bad fuel.

Maybe I'll put forged internals in and not worry about it
Old 5/22/14, 03:51 AM

I have an early 2011 build. 9/10. I am steeda tuned and have 0 issues. Very impressive tune.
Old 5/23/14, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have quite literally close to 200 passes at the strip with an early 11 GT tuned auto and no issues. And I'm currently running a Steeda tune. You seriously should be fine running a tune.
Old 5/25/14, 04:44 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've had a lot of customers who have switched over to us now that we have in house custom tuning. We have had zero issues, engine or drivability. Safe and healthy power allowing your engine to run efficient. Any questions at all just give us a shout, people have been amazed with the switch!
Old 5/26/14, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

I installed a Steeda 93 at 1000 miles. I now have 24,000 miles and the car couldn't be stronger. I would consider Amazon tuning because their test cars are 6r80 and Steeda is mt82. I have traction/ shift issues but don't get me wrong the car is a beast. Drag radials is almost a must though with the Steeda tune because of the 1-2-3-2 shift issue at wot due to traction issues. Amazon has alleviated that problem.
Old 5/26/14, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit

Btw, I have a '11 GT.

Thanks.
#8 cylinder issue is very much alive in on 2011 5.0's in 2014 if using the wrong tuning company. All the big name tuning companies like Steeda Bama, MPT, Lund, VMP etc have that past issue well under control. OP, using a company like bama or Steeda will have you squared away and no issues with your #8 cylinder.