Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

#8 issues

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/12, 09:40 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yes - there's an entire #8 thread on here and BrenSpeed just let the guy eat it.
I wonder if that had happened to an IMBOC member, how fast a certain Mod would delete the thread...
Old 3/20/12, 02:59 PM
GT Member

Ive often wondered what kind of discount that mod gets for his constant pimping of them?

Originally Posted by Bullitt 3309
I wonder if that had happened to an IMBOC member, how fast a certain Mod would delete the thread...
Old 3/20/12, 03:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jasongt06
Ive often wondered what kind of discount that mod gets for his constant pimping of them?

So brenspeed is a bad word around here?
Old 3/21/12, 06:51 AM

Ive had Bama tunes for the past 30,000 miles without a problem. Bama and steeda are the way to go.
Old 3/27/12, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
AM manned up and slapped a warranty on their tunes. So no need to wonder.
There's a reason they did that.

The dealership I bought my car from offers a lifetime powertrain warranty to the original buyer so I've got a good reason to NOT tune my car.

If I did though, based on the people I've talked to, bama and lund would be last on my list of tunes to consider. I'd get either the Livernois or Steeda tune.

There's more to a tune than peak HP gains and it seems like Steeda and Livernois don't focus as much on the peak gains vs the entire powerband gains and drivability.
Old 3/27/12, 09:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
There's a reason they did that.
Ummm, because they're confident in their product?...

The dealership I bought my car from offers a lifetime powertrain warranty to the original buyer so I've got a good reason to NOT tune my car.

If I did though, based on the people I've talked to, bama and lund would be last on my list of tunes to consider. I'd get either the Livernois or Steeda tune.

There's more to a tune than peak HP gains and it seems like Steeda and Livernois don't focus as much on the peak gains vs the entire powerband gains and drivability.
I don't know who you've been talking to, but I haven't heard anything bad about AM.
Old 3/27/12, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I don't know who you've been talking to, but I haven't heard anything bad about AM.
Actual Ford technicians. There's a good reason why the #8 failure has the nickname "the bama blowout" amongst the techs.

that wouldn't be my reason for not getting one at all though. Every guy that I know locally or on a forum who has had a bama tune that switched to other various tunes, they all claim much better drivibility, better power band, etc.

AM is a great company and I've done quite a bit of business with them and will continue to do so but buying a tune from them will never happen.

You and anyone else don't have to believe me and I knew that my post would stir the hornet's nest but I have my own reasons and sources and I'm going to leave it at that.
Old 3/27/12, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Actual Ford technicians. There's a good reason why the #8 failure has the nickname "the bama blowout" amongst the techs.
Because they're like everyone else that just picks out the biggest name they know and blames it on them?... But that doesn't mean it's all AM's fault. I don't know how many failures they've had, but at least they back up their product in writing. That shows confidence, not fault.

I feel like 10 years from now, I'm still gonna be reading the same **** about 5.0 owners *****ing about their transmissions and potential #8 issues.
Old 3/27/12, 11:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that wouldn't be my reason for not getting one at all though. Every guy that I know locally or on a forum who has had a bama tune that switched to other various tunes, they all claim much better drivibility, better power band, etc.

AM is a great company and I've done quite a bit of business with them and will continue to do so but buying a tune from them will never happen.

You and anyone else don't have to believe me and I knew that my post would stir the hornet's nest but I have my own reasons and sources and I'm going to leave it at that.

You do realize its fords job to put the scare into you to not tune your car or even mod period.
Old 3/27/12, 11:04 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
isnt this issue dead yet?? I thought all the Big companys had gotten it together and this wasnt a issue anymore.
Old 3/27/12, 11:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
isnt this issue dead yet?? I thought all the Big companys had gotten it together and this wasnt a issue anymore.
Correct. I'm about as sick of hearing #8 **** as I am about hearing mt-82 ****.
Old 3/27/12, 11:11 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

atleast the mt82 can happen to a stock car..
I am just going to start ignoring the posters trying to keep this crap alive..
Old 3/29/12, 08:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I ran a Bama tune for ~1000 miles but went back to stock after #8s started cropping up in the internets...and have been that way for the past 7,000.

I'm not sure how to feel about custom tuning like this anymore. The stock tune still offers a nice wallop of power and some peace of mind. Is the ~20rwhp worth the risk? To some it will be, to others, it won't. The frustrating thing is that there are no real answers out there as to how many actually burned up the piston, why it happened, if it's going to happen in the future, etc.

FWIW, It has been cold for the past ~6 months in much of the country...this could definitely explain a lull in incidents.

I'm in the unique situation where I have "broken the seal" and messed with the ECU...but was only tuned for a small portion of my miles...if something does go in my motor with only having been tuned for a short time, it will be interesting to see how Ford deals with me.

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/29/12 at 09:02 AM.
Old 3/29/12, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Coming from Shaun At AED! on another forum!

Originally Posted by Shaun@AED
If you're talking about the 5.0 and #8 there are a few things to take into account.
We found the cause of the #8 in late Dec, and it's in the Factory tune. First thing after the new year I sent out updates to all customers which resolved this issue correctly. (tested/verified the cause and fix)

The #8 is in the Factory tune. But it doesn't show up unless you:
1. Have a clutch/flywheel replaced and a Nuetral Profile Relearn is not performed. P03xx trouble code
2. Got WOT for an extended amount of time (5th/6th gear WOT pulls).

The tune issue is based on Maff lb/min calculated vs the factory limits. Adding a CAI will hit these limts much easier than a stock CAI. Another reason why aftermarket CAI's don't perform at the track vs stock CAI's.

FWIW there have been factory stock cars that have blown, as well as TracKey tuned stock Boss's.
No car is imune as it's in the Factory tune.

Which means you really do want a tuner that knows what the cause is, and the proper solution to do in the calibration.
Old 3/29/12, 01:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I hate to be the "I do not buy it guy" in this thread but... come on.. all the cars I have seen proof of number 8 have had tunes. I have yet to see a untuned car lose #8. I am not saying im a expert... just saying I have a few of these stoires come up and its always always a tuned car.
Old 3/29/12, 01:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
I hate to be the "I do not buy it guy" in this thread but... come on.. all the cars I have seen proof of number 8 have had tunes. I have yet to see a untuned car lose #8. I am not saying im a expert... just saying I have a few of these stoires come up and its always always a tuned car.

And I've read pretty much all of 'em.
Old 3/29/12, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

.....Sooooo changing the clutch now blows the engine??? Why hasn't this topic died yet???
Old 3/29/12, 01:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
...wait, a BOSS has blown a #8?? This is the first I have heard.
Old 3/29/12, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
Coming from Shaun At AED! on another forum!

Originally Posted by Shaun@AED
If you're talking about the 5.0 and #8 there are a few things to take into account.
We found the cause of the #8 in late Dec, and it's in the Factory tune. First thing after the new year I sent out updates to all customers which resolved this issue correctly. (tested/verified the cause and fix)

The #8 is in the Factory tune. But it doesn't show up unless you:
1. Have a clutch/flywheel replaced and a Nuetral Profile Relearn is not performed. P03xx trouble code
2. Got WOT for an extended amount of time (5th/6th gear WOT pulls).

The tune issue is based on Maff lb/min calculated vs the factory limits. Adding a CAI will hit these limts much easier than a stock CAI. Another reason why aftermarket CAI's don't perform at the track vs stock CAI's.

FWIW there have been factory stock cars that have blown, as well as TracKey tuned stock Boss's.
No car is imune as it's in the Factory tune.

Which means you really do want a tuner that knows what the cause is, and the proper solution to do in the calibration.
Who the hell is Shaun at AED???

Feel free to post links to aaaaalll the stock #8's that have blown, as well as the boss, as well as all the ones due the a new clutch...Otherwise STFU.
Old 3/29/12, 02:54 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Camaro5 has nothing better to do after they're done fixing their half-shafts.

Quick Reply: #8 issues