5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

5.0 vs 4.6: noise with "muffler deletes"??

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/10, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
5.0 vs 4.6: noise with "muffler deletes"??

The old 4.6L is satisfyingly loud with muffler deletes but not unbearable. Under normal driving (non-WOT) conditions, I found that the car was relatively tame but it made a wonderful racket when you cracked the throttle.

I always liked this exhaust because it gave a natural sounding exhaust note and saved a few lbs in the process.

So has anyone owned/driven a 5.0 with a muffler free axle-back setup? How does it compare from inside and outisde the car?

Does the 5.0 sound good without mufflers in your opinion?
Old 8/31/10, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 08 GT had muffler deletes, and I loved the sound. No drone, etc etc.

Now I have an 11 GT with muffler deletes as well, and love every second of it. Something quite strange to take note of: Even though the 5.0 has resonators, when the 4.6 did not, muffler deletes on the 5.0 are a lot louder than on the 4.6. I can't explain why, perhaps it has to do with the shorty headers stock vs. the exhaust manifold on the 4.6, or maybe the cat's are less restrictive? Duno.

Drone is still not a problem at all. Just be warned, you may find yourself clenching your cheeks if a police car pulls up next to you at a stop light. It's quite loud.

Edit:
Oh, and I forgot to mention. The sound is ridiculously intoxicating. I don't have any other way to describe it than something along the lines of an open exhaust small block Chevy, oddly enough. It's very menacing.

Last edited by KonaBlue5.0; 8/31/10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 8/31/10, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

@KonaBlue5.0 if u have any sound clips please post
Old 8/31/10, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Magnaflow Muffler deletes on my 2011. I've gotten nothing but compliments on the sound. It's not too loud, but really rumbles nice at idle and roars when at WOT. Sorry no sound clips, plus they never sound good on the internet anyway.
Old 8/31/10, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18_uKuGn_dU

here is a clip of my car with the magnaflow muffler deletes. The sound is absolutely awesome, and I haven't had any problems with the cops. They all give me thumbs up lol
Old 8/31/10, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Unfortunately, all of my attempts to make a video to show the sound come out horrible. Cheap digital cameras .

Maybe I'm just exaggerating how loud they really are, if the above two posts are of any worth. They seem loud to me, and I know there was a member (perhaps not here, maybe it was on MustangForums) with a red 2011 GT who bought the deletes and not a day later removed them because they were too loud for his tastes.

Honestly, for the price, I'd say they are worth at least testing. If you don't like them, just resell them used for a slight discount. Not much more loss than a few dollars, with experience and knowledge gained to boot.
Old 8/31/10, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11

here is a clip of my car with the magnaflow muffler deletes. The sound is absolutely awesome, and I haven't had any problems with the cops. They all give me thumbs up lol
Thanks for the clip not that loud in the video but video not doing any justice
Old 9/1/10, 05:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great info, guys-

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
My 08 GT had muffler deletes, and I loved the sound. No drone, etc etc.

Now I have an 11 GT with muffler deletes as well, and love every second of it. Something quite strange to take note of: Even though the 5.0 has resonators, when the 4.6 did not, muffler deletes on the 5.0 are a lot louder than on the 4.6. I can't explain why, perhaps it has to do with the shorty headers stock vs. the exhaust manifold on the 4.6, or maybe the cat's are less restrictive? Duno.

Drone is still not a problem at all. Just be warned, you may find yourself clenching your cheeks if a police car pulls up next to you at a stop light. It's quite loud.

Edit:
Oh, and I forgot to mention. The sound is ridiculously intoxicating. I don't have any other way to describe it than something along the lines of an open exhaust small block Chevy, oddly enough. It's very menacing.
KonaBlue5.0- thanks so much for sharing your input on this... I'm really psyched to hear that it sounds so good but nervous that it's noticably louder. I have really got to hear one in person!!

But-- you're probably right that the risk isn't that high since it should be fairly easy to unload if it proves to be too much.
Old 9/1/10, 05:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Blackout-- mean sounding (and.looking) machine!
Old 9/4/10, 09:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BlackOut2k11

The sound of your car is wonderful even on computer speakers. I had the muffler deletes on my 4.6 but the 5.0 is even better. I bought the Magnaflow compitition cat back exhaust, but I haven't put it on yet. Mainly because my car is stuck in customs (another story). I might get the deletes and run them here in Europe and save the others for the USA.
Old 9/7/10, 11:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So....I want to give them a try but at $500-$600 for a pair of pipes with shiny tips, I'm hesitating a bit. I thought $350 for my SLP Loudmouth set was fairly steep last year!!

Why are the '11 exhaust systems so much more expensive than the '05-'10? Is it just "what the market will bear" or is there some more important reason?
Old 9/7/10, 03:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The general idea is that when the price of the car goes up, the aftermarket products increase as well. It's all based on the assumption that, if someone can afford the more expensive car, they can afford the more expensive part.

If you have a reputable exhaust shop in your area, by all means, head on down and have them fab you up some nice pipes on the cheap. For me, I live in a...country area, where I wouldn't ever imagine letting one of the backyard mechanics try to make a part for my car.