5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2014 GT Tire Recommendations (other than Pirelli's)

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/14, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GT Tire Recommendations (other than Pirelli's)

2014 GT came with Pirelli's and I absolutely hate them. As an all weather tire I feel it has terrible grip and could be a smoother ride.
Looking to replace them soon and would like something with a little better grip (especially in the winter), has a smooth ride and doesn't wear down to fast (and is easy on the wallet).

I've heard good things about Goodyear Eagle's, anyone use these on they're newer GT? Do you like them?
Any recommendations and/or advice on other Brands or Types (other than stinking pirelli's)?
Old 12/2/14, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_Speed
2014 GT came with Pirelli's and I absolutely hate them. As an all weather tire I feel it has terrible grip and could be a smoother ride. Looking to replace them soon and would like something with a little better grip (especially in the winter), has a smooth ride and doesn't wear down to fast (and is easy on the wallet). I've heard good things about Goodyear Eagle's, anyone use these on they're newer GT? Do you like them? Any recommendations and/or advice on other Brands or Types (other than stinking pirelli's)?
I think you'll find Continental ExtremeContact DWS to be about the most popular with guys on here. They're reasonably priced compared to Michelins/Goodyears. I've had my set for about 20,000 miles and they're wearing far better than the two sets of Pirellis I went through in 50,000 miles. Their dry performance is as good or better too. As for winter, I don't have direct experience as I have dedicated winter tires/wheels.
Old 12/2/14, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Listen to the Canadian...

1. If you want grip in the winter, get winter tires. The cheapest, crappiest winter tire will be MILES better than the best all-season. Modern all season tires in general are getting worse and worse as fuel economy and low rolling resistance become priorities in the marketplace. And better grip in the summer means you automatically have LESS grip in the winter.

Recommendations (I've tried all 3):
1. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (expensive)
2. General Altimax Arctic (mid-price and my favorite from a price/performance standpoint)
3. Hankook I-Pike (cheap)

2. Getting winter tires allows you to get proper summer rubber, or shop in the UHP All-Season (more like mid-spring to mid-fall than all-seasons) bracket where the wet and dry performance increases dramatically over all season tires aimed more at conventional passenger cars.

Summer Recommendation: Falken FK453 (lower price) or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (expensive)
UHP All Season Recommendation: Kumho Ecsta 4X (low price) or Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (expensive)
Old 12/3/14, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In what way is the stock Pirelli an all season?
Old 12/3/14, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
In the way that it has an M+S designation on it (meaning Mud and Snow capable), and that it's compound is less susceptible to hardening up in the cold weather.

But I'm with you. It's not a very good AS tire.

---

If you don't mind me saying, I've heard wonders about the Contis. And if I try some myself, sure, I might like them.

That being said, I really liked the Cooper Zeon RS3-As. All season, 40K mile warranty, and grip grip grip in all weather I had 'em in (freezing temps, rain, dry.)

Sure, they're not summer grippy. Sure, they're not snow tires. But man... they are, I think, the best tire you can put on the Mustang, and surely, for the bucks, you can't go wrong. Even if for some reason you don't go back to 'em after, I don't think you'd regret it either.

Just my thoughts on it.

---

I find it entertaining that Capt. Speed and captain slow are in the same thread.
Old 12/4/14, 08:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Listen to the Canadian...

1. If you want grip in the winter, get winter tires. The cheapest, crappiest winter tire will be MILES better than the best all-season. Modern all season tires in general are getting worse and worse as fuel economy and low rolling resistance become priorities in the marketplace. And better grip in the summer means you automatically have LESS grip in the winter.
^ What he said!
Old 12/4/14, 09:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

+1 Conti DWS for everything but snow.
Old 12/5/14, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
In the way that it has an M+S designation on it (meaning Mud and Snow capable), and that it's compound is less susceptible to hardening up in the cold weather.

But I'm with you. It's not a very good AS tire.

---

If you don't mind me saying, I've heard wonders about the Contis. And if I try some myself, sure, I might like them.

That being said, I really liked the Cooper Zeon RS3-As. All season, 40K mile warranty, and grip grip grip in all weather I had 'em in (freezing temps, rain, dry.)

Sure, they're not summer grippy. Sure, they're not snow tires. But man... they are, I think, the best tire you can put on the Mustang, and surely, for the bucks, you can't go wrong. Even if for some reason you don't go back to 'em after, I don't think you'd regret it either.

Just my thoughts on it.

---

I find it entertaining that Capt. Speed and captain slow are in the same thread.
I'm confused, the P Zeros are just a sumer tire. There werent other Pirellis offered were there? The P Zero Nero is an A/S tire, but I didn't think it was offered.
Old 12/5/14, 03:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
+1 Conti DWS for everything but snow.
Why not just get the DW then, if snow is out of the picture?

Originally Posted by captain slow
I'm confused, the P Zeros are just a sumer tire. There werent other Pirellis offered were there? The P Zero Nero is an A/S tire, but I didn't think it was offered.
There were a number of Pirelli tires put on the various Mustangs. Mine came with summer only, many came with all season. Since you didn't clarify in the original post nobody really knew what exactly you had.

Also, a word on the "M+S" symbol on some tires: that ONLY means that the tread design and geometry meets certain standards such as how much coverage the tread blocks offer (i.e. there needs to be a certain percentage of void space in the tread design) and that the blocks are arranged in some specific way. You can look up the exact guidelines via google. Long story short, the M+S symbol means NOTHING in terms of real snow performance. I've had summer only tires with the M+S symbol...the requirements for that have no conditions for tread compound, and the tread design requirements are very basic in terms of offering better snow and mud performance.

For a GOOD winter tire look for the "snowflake inside a mountain" symbol. That means it meets different standards intended for modern winter tires. That symbol means it is an actual winter tire. The M+S designation means next to nothing for most people.
Old 12/5/14, 09:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in the NW, so we get cold and wet a lot. I'm a big fan of Continental Extreme Contact DWS's and have had them on four of my cars. I currently run Eagle F1 Assymetrics and they're pretty good all season "supercar" tires, but not quite as good in the snow as the DWS's.
Old 12/6/14, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat

There were a number of Pirelli tires put on the various Mustangs. Mine came with summer only, many came with all season. Since you didn't clarify in the original post nobody really knew what exactly you had.

Also, a word on the "M+S" symbol on some tires: that ONLY means that the tread design and geometry meets certain standards such as how much coverage the tread blocks offer (i.e. there needs to be a certain percentage of void space in the tread design) and that the blocks are arranged in some specific way. You can look up the exact guidelines via google. Long story short, the M+S symbol means NOTHING in terms of real snow performance. I've had summer only tires with the M+S symbol...the requirements for that have no conditions for tread compound, and the tread design requirements are very basic in terms of offering better snow and mud performance.

For a GOOD winter tire look for the "snowflake inside a mountain" symbol. That means it meets different standards intended for modern winter tires. That symbol means it is an actual winter tire. The M+S designation means next to nothing for most people.

I'm not the OP, but no he did not clarify. I didn't realize they offered other Pirellis other than the P Zeros, I just looked it up. He must have had the P Zero Nero. Learned something today.
Old 12/6/14, 09:45 AM

As said above, the P-Zeros are summer tires, only. Little grip below 40 degrees F on dry pavement, below 50 degrees F on wet pavement.

I have Continental DWS tires on a Mazda MX-5 NC (Miata) that is outfitted for autocross. They're fine tires and I recommend them.

However, I've put a set of Cooper RS-3A's on my '14 GT. I've been very surprised at how well they handle on dry pavement, and how well they do on wet pavement, in the cold and in light snow and ice. Easily equal to the Conti DWS's.

So I recommend both, with the observation that the Cooper's are cheaper.
Old 12/6/14, 09:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate the Pirellis too. I switched them out for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ and couldn't be happier. I drove them in the snow in Germany last season when I got back from deployment. No issues other than actually trying to remember how to drive in the snow. I started out in 3rd most of the time.

Wet performance is great and dry is great too. Not summer only great but great for an AS tire.

I agree with the Canadian. Get winter tires if you drive in the snow a lot. Nothing compares.
Old 12/6/14, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I hate the Pirellis too. I switched them out for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ and couldn't be happier. I drove them in the snow in Germany last season when I got back from deployment. No issues other than actually trying to remember how to drive in the snow. I started out in 3rd most of the time. Wet performance is great and dry is great too. Not summer only great but great for an AS tire. I agree with the Canadian. Get winter tires if you drive in the snow a lot. Nothing compares.
I'm probably going to get these next spring. I like the Coopers, but I just can't put Chinese made tires on my car, especially when they're from an American brand
Old 12/6/14, 10:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I hate the Pirellis too. I switched them out for some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ and couldn't be happier. I drove them in the snow in Germany last season when I got back from deployment. No issues other than actually trying to remember how to drive in the snow. I started out in 3rd most of the time. Wet performance is great and dry is great too. Not summer only great but great for an AS tire. I agree with the Canadian. Get winter tires if you drive in the snow a lot. Nothing compares.
I picked up the Michelin pilot sports a/s tires on your recommendation. They are an excellent tire.
Old 12/6/14, 02:49 PM

I ran Conti DWS on my last car. They did what they were supposed to, for the mileage rating. Then I switched them out for Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3. Way better ride! Way smoother! Better handling.
I'm currently running summer version, P Zero on my '14 GT. Even in South Carolina I'm probably going for the AS/3 when they wear out. If it's below 70 degrees, these PZeros spin like crazy!
Anybody info on the Pilot Super Sport though? Does it handle cool temps, or does it drop off like the PZero?
Old 12/7/14, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They will drop off just like PZero because they are a summer only tread compound. Below 50 they turn into rocks. When it's hot watch out though it's tough to get them to break loose when you are driving and not Hot Rodding. Been in an3 on the Ring hitting 130 in the big sweepers no problem.
Old 12/8/14, 07:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
The DW isn't an all season. Snow is out of the picture really only because the grooves in the tread aren't deep enough for heavy snow.
Old 12/10/14, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by captain slow
I'm confused, the P Zeros are just a sumer tire. There werent other Pirellis offered were there?
The P Zero Nero is an A/S tire, but I didn't think it was offered.
I checked my tires and they are the P Zero Nero's.

I then logged into the Pirelli Web Site to look up how Pirelli officially defines the P Zero & P Zero Nero. They define both tires as "Summer" tires.
According to they're web site, Pirelli really doesnt have an "All Season" Tire. All they're tires are categorized 2 ways, as either a "Winter" or "Summer" tire.

I'm curious how/why you believed the "P Zero Nero" is an "All Season" tire, but not the "P Zero"?
Old 12/10/14, 04:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Do you have the P Zero Nero tires or the P Zero Nero All Season tires? Yes, they are different. Yes, this is another reason why Pirelli can go to hell.

Quick Reply: 2014 GT Tire Recommendations (other than Pirelli's)