Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2014 5.0 - Comparing superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 12/22/13, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 5.0 - Comparing superchargers

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...1-mustang-5-0/

Hey guys,

So I recently purchased a brand new 5.0 6 speed in late September.
Looking at purchasing and getting a supercharger installed next summer.
I've compared so many brands and they all seem the same, with slight differences that I can't decode myself because I don't have enough knowledge.

I do want higher horsepower numbers, but really that's just for bragging rights.
I think the most important things to me right now are: 1) retaining some sort or factory based Ford dealer warranty. I know the Roush Stage 1 offers the 3 year warranty from date of purchase.
I heard whipple has a 12 month factory warranty as well.
All of the other brands like Edelbrock, Paxton, and Kenne Bell just offer a parts warranty.

I am looking for that peace of mind, ya know?
If I'm going to dish out that much cash, I'd like to be covered on more than just supercharger parts.

2) longevity.
I know this is dependant on how hard I drive it. But the car should see minimal strip use (2-3 times a year or less). Street tire set-up. No winter driving. Just spirited driving

3) cost of installation:
I'll be getting my local ford dealership to install this, and maintain it as well.

*What I'm looking for is a supercharger that should make just a little north of 550 hp at the flywheel. Maybe make 450-475
RWHP with supporting mods, reliable, and fault free. Something that if I decide to be a crazy person and snap the throttle and something breaks, then Ford can/will cover it for the first few years.

If all I can get is a "supercharger parts Warranty" then I might as well go big or go home.

I've heard the custom tunes unleash more power, but we'll see about that after my factory warranty is up.

Probably deciding between the Roush Stage 1 or the Whipple. But open to a lot more suggestions guys.
I've researched and searched, looked at videos and talked to my local Ford rep, as well as car buddies, but there's so many variables that it really just boils down to personal preference and what I want.

Thanks so much for all of the input guys. Looking forward to hearing about where I'm falling short: Better tune? Bigger injectors? Larger fuel pump? Oil Separator?

Regards,
Joey .K
Old 12/22/13, 09:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get the Roush, the kit comes with everything you need and as you stated, it can be had with a decent warranty and is rated at like 575 HP.

Buying it and getting it installed at a Roush authorized dealer isn't cheap though so be prepared.
Old 12/23/13, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you just want 450-475 rwhp then don't get a blower. You'll be in the 500s rwhp on low boost. I did roush 575hp kit. Roush calibration it was 508 at the wheels in 100 degree heat. Got a vmp data logged tune and it's at 557 rwhp. You can do some other things to get the power numbers you're looking at without getting a blower.

Last edited by Thamac15; 12/23/13 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12/23/13, 05:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest the VMP kit, it's almost a grand cheaper and every bit as good if not better then the roush kit.
Old 12/29/13, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the numbers you want, (if money isn't an issue) got with the Ford Racing 525hp kit. It's low boost and it retains the factory warranty if you have a certified dealer install it as you said you want to. It should put you ~470ish HP to the wheels. The downside is it's pretty darn expensive for the numbers it gives you.

If you want boost for street driving you're better off with a positive displacement supercharger (Ford Racing, Roush, Kenne Bell) versus a centrifugal one (Paxton, Vortech). PD blowers give you more readily available torque throughout the RPM band than a centri blower, although if you're going for raw bragging numbers than a centri blower would be the way to go since they're less parasitic and will therefore put up bigger HP numbers on the same amount of boost.

Personally, I'm saving up the Roush Phase I kit and will probably get a Brenspeed or VMP tune to go with it. I've decided on the Roush kit because I've heard (and researched) from the blower gurus that the TVS is better for street driving while the whipple (Ford Racing) is better for track use based on cooling efficiency. I also think the Roush kit is a better deal than Ford Racing one from a cost/power standpoint.

Hope that helps and good luck boosting! I hope to be there with you pretty soon!
Old 12/30/13, 07:22 AM
Former Vendor

The Roush TVS is the most efficient PD blower available for these 5.0's. Installation is super easy.... just time consuming. There is a reason Roush/ FRPP have a 5 year warranty on cars with these blowers. You can install either the Roush or FRPP and not have to worry about it for 100k miles, only keep an eye out on the belt.
TVS is also a much cooler running PD blower than the KB's and a bit cooler than the FRPP.
We are direct Roush dealers, offer custom kits as well as Roush's 3 Phase kit. We have a 12 Mustang running safely with 630+ RWHP on an 82mm pulley.
Old 12/30/13, 07:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Jay,

Once a couple of these pesky kids move out of my house in a couple of years I will be handing over quite a bit of money you the Hypermotive establishment. LOL.
Old 12/30/13, 02:36 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
The Roush TVS is the most efficient PD blower available for these 5.0's. Installation is super easy.... just time consuming. There is a reason Roush/ FRPP have a 5 year warranty on cars with these blowers. You can install either the Roush or FRPP and not have to worry about it for 100k miles, only keep an eye out on the belt.
TVS is also a much cooler running PD blower than the KB's and a bit cooler than the FRPP.
BINGO!!
I am glad that there is a great, reputable and honest sponsor on this site. Thanks Jay.
Old 12/30/13, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Just the info I was looking for Jay! Thank you so much. I will be pulling the trigger on this in May or June, so I'll contact you guys probably within the next few months.

Thanks for the precise info!
Old 1/1/14, 08:27 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Good luck op.

I was going to go with roush or frpp... But decided on magnuson. Reasons are in my thread.
Old 1/1/14, 06:01 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Jay,

Once a couple of these pesky kids move out of my house in a couple of years I will be handing over quite a bit of money you the Hypermotive establishment. LOL.
We'll always be here brother

Originally Posted by Stage_3
BINGO!!
I am glad that there is a great, reputable and honest sponsor on this site. Thanks Jay.
Anytime! We try out best to offer the best, but yet, honest opinions and recommendations... even if that results in someone going to another vendor or saving them money

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
Just the info I was looking for Jay! Thank you so much. I will be pulling the trigger on this in May or June, so I'll contact you guys probably within the next few months.

Thanks for the precise info!

Anytime! Any other questions at all don't hesitate to ask
Old 1/1/14, 08:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
We'll always be here brother Anytime! We try out best to offer the best, but yet, honest opinions and recommendations... even if that results in someone going to another vendor or saving them money Anytime! Any other questions at all don't hesitate to ask
Jay, thanks to you and esp Dan for helping me out with some quotes the last few weeks. Very responsive and helpful. I'll be sure to look to you guys as well, before purchasing my next major mod... (Lt headers??? )
Old 1/2/14, 11:08 AM
Former Vendor

We're always here to help