Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2013 gt supercharger install

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/14, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 gt supercharger install

Hi all... I'm about to take the plunge and buy a roush supercharger. My motor is stock and I'd like to know your opinions.
I really want to go with the stage 2 625 hp kit and I'm wondering if the motor can take this set up, or should I be conservative and go with the stage 1 575 hp kit.
I know there set ups are very safe so any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 1/21/14, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll be fine with the phase II. I've put a phase II on in August 2013 and with the Roush tune pulled I believe somewhere in the 530 RWHP and 445 Torque. The numbers advertise by Roush is crank/brake HP. Lots of people running this kit with no issues. Lots of people using aftermarket tunes with no problem. I'm currently using a Brenspeed tune but am working with Hypermotive/VMP on another tune.
Do a search on the board and you'll see all sorts of threads.

Last edited by GT50GO; 1/21/14 at 07:20 PM.
Old 1/22/14, 10:25 AM
Former Vendor

Shayner, just shot you a pm. There are some excellent tuners out there that can safely have your car running 600HP, we've done it in many of our cars without a single issue. The tune is the most important aspect when looking at pushing a lot of HP thru the coyote.
Old 1/23/14, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes get a good custom dyno tune from a reputable shop that way there is no tweaking to do. If that is not available stick with the known majors for an email tune, your putting a blower on your car a tune is the last place you want to skimp. My numbers are in my sig and the car runs perfect
Old 1/23/14, 05:55 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Shayner, just shot you a pm. There are some excellent tuners out there that can safely have your car running 600HP, we've done it in many of our cars without a single issue. The tune is the most important aspect when looking at pushing a lot of HP thru the coyote.
Originally Posted by Burke985
Yes get a good custom dyno tune from a reputable shop that way there is no tweaking to do. If that is not available stick with the known majors for an email tune, your putting a blower on your car a tune is the last place you want to skimp. My numbers are in my sig and the car runs perfect
^^What these guys said!!
Old 1/24/14, 12:44 PM
Cobra Member

600hp on the wheels or the crank?
Old 1/24/14, 04:27 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sky Hye
600hp on the wheels or the crank?

To the wheels.
Old 1/25/14, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Don't get too greedy. If you are looking to keep the stock shortblock alive for a long time, play it real safe. The Roush/TVS blower strains the rotating assembly much more than a centrifugal will. hence, you'll hit the breaking point sooner with that, if you ask for too much.

Are there lots of people running high horsepower out there on stock blocks? Sure, 600+ is totally commonplace. Just decide what your level of risk acceptance is and what you can afford if something goes pear-shaped.
Old 1/26/14, 06:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by shayner
Hi all... I'm about to take the plunge and buy a roush supercharger. My motor is stock and I'd like to know your opinions. I really want to go with the stage 2 625 hp kit and I'm wondering if the motor can take this set up, or should I be conservative and go with the stage 1 575 hp kit. I know there set ups are very safe so any input would be appreciated. Thank you
Welcome to the dark side. I've only had a chance to enjoy my blown coyote for 3 weeks, the stored her. Spring will be awesome.

Originally Posted by Burke985
Agree. I went with magnusons oem tune (they're tuner is one of the best) for being conservative. I will dyno tune possibly later in the future if I want more than 530whp... For now I'm happy with that.
Old 1/31/14, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

To the wheels.
That's sexy. So what internal work needs to be done? I am saving all my pennies for a roush stage 3 or ford racing kit. I want it to whine loud and also of course be as reliable as possible considering the power

Last edited by Sky Hye; 1/31/14 at 12:44 PM.
Old 1/31/14, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor

We needed nothing, it really is all in the tune. You can put 500 HP to a built block, throw a bad tune on there and still blow it. With a good tune it comes down to what the pistons and rods can handle. Anything over 650 on 93 octane you're asking for it, E85 runs cool enough to allow more HP. All our cars have been running safely between 600-635 with the stock blocks, lots of miles.
Old 2/1/14, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

We needed nothing, it really is all in the tune. You can put 500 HP to a built block, throw a bad tune on there and still blow it. With a good tune it comes down to what the pistons and rods can handle. Anything over 650 on 93 octane you're asking for it, E85 runs cool enough to allow more HP. All our cars have been running safely between 600-635 with the stock blocks, lots of miles.
Thanks Jay! I will give you a ring when I'm ready
Old 2/1/14, 09:55 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Sky Hye
Thanks Jay! I will give you a ring when I'm ready
Sky what's up!

Sounds like you're crossing over to the dark side?
Old 2/1/14, 04:12 PM
V6 Member

Hi Jay,

how difficult would you rate installing a Roush Stage 1 or 2? Possible DIY or best left to professionals?

I recall seeing something about having to "grind" on the engine block to install a pulley or make room for a belt. Is this required on a 2013/2014 GT?

Thanks!
Old 2/1/14, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Hi Jay,

how difficult would you rate installing a Roush Stage 1 or 2? Possible DIY or best left to professionals?

I recall seeing something about having to "grind" on the engine block to install a pulley or make room for a belt. Is this required on a 2013/2014 GT?

Thanks!

Back in 2011 I did my first Whipple install (same as roush) and I was most freaked out about the grinding (everything else only needs hands tools). I used only and edge cutter by dewault and it only took me 25 minutes to do. My first install only too my about 7 hours and most of that time was depinning, the rest is honestly pretty easy. Many worry about it however, its an easy job.... if you have your own garage. I encourage everyone to do it themselves... yeah we could make money installing them but I think its great to have customers do it.... you can PM, email or call us whenever and we'll guide you thru it.
Old 2/1/14, 08:55 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
Hi Jay, how difficult would you rate installing a Roush Stage 1 or 2? Possible DIY or best left to professionals? I recall seeing something about having to "grind" on the engine block to install a pulley or make room for a belt. Is this required on a 2013/2014 GT? Thanks!
Back in 2011 I did my first Whipple install (same as roush) and I was most freaked out about the grinding (everything else only needs hands tools). I used only and edge cutter by dewault and it only took me 25 minutes to do. My first install only too my about 7 hours and most of that time was depinning, the rest is honestly pretty easy. Many worry about it however, its an easy job.... if you have your own garage. I encourage everyone to do it themselves... yeah we could make money installing them but I think its great to have customers do it.... you can PM, email or call us whenever and we'll guide you thru it.
Yep... Jay is right. Install is basic hand tools, and simple instructions. I chose my magnuson kit since I didn't want to do any grinding. It was also touted to be the easiest install of all the blower kits. The roush I'm sure is no different except for the grinding. It was the most fun install I've done.
Old 2/2/14, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
What needs to be grinded?
Old 2/2/14, 07:39 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Gabe

Grinding needs to be done on the front engine cover. Two bosses and you'll need to cut one boss in half. Pretty easy actually, just make sure you cover your engine bay.
Old 2/2/14, 08:11 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Gabe
Grinding needs to be done on the front engine cover. Two bosses and you'll need to cut one boss in half. Pretty easy actually, just make sure you cover your engine bay.
Jay isn't this true of the whipple too?
Old 2/2/14, 10:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Sky what's up! Sounds like you're crossing over to the dark side?
Haha. I've wanted to since my first GT. Then I wanted a GT500. But I looked at blown GT vs. GT500s and realized blowing a GT is the way to go.

I forget where you're located, SoCal?

Last edited by Sky Hye; 2/2/14 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 gt supercharger install