Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2012 Mustang GT Power Upgrade Package w/ Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/12, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Mustang GT Power Upgrade Package w/ Automatic

I'm contemplating getting the Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack for my Mustang.
Since I have an automatic, I'm wondering how much the performance calibration affects shifting behavior and the overall feel of the car.

I appreciate your input!

(I know I already like the GT500 mufflers )
Old 5/3/12, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It doesn't change any of the shift points in the auto if it's the Pro cal you're referring to.
Old 5/4/12, 12:40 AM

It doesn't? At all?

Yes, I'm referring to the ProCal. This package: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12345
Old 5/4/12, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny settings are not changed. You will pick up more low and mid range torque and top end hp.
Old 5/4/12, 10:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Any thoughts on a CAI/Tune to help provide additional HP? Our Steeda tune will change the shift points for the better.

The Steeda CAI/Tune have seen gains of up to 44HP/52ft lbs of torque. With your GT 500 Mufflers this could even see more.

Take a look for yourself and see if you are interested, and if you are PM me for pricing.

Best Regards

TJ

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-5...ir-intake.html
Old 5/4/12, 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Get the steeda tune and cai and not waste your money on the Ford power pack. There's no comparison. TJ is a little off saying the gt500's will increase your power though. Come on TJ ....
Old 5/4/12, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
Get the steeda tune and cai and not waste your money on the Ford power pack. There's no comparison. TJ is a little off saying the gt500's will increase your power though. Come on TJ ....
don't bother with the ford power pack, if you are going to tune, tune with the best American Muscle or Steeda.
Old 5/5/12, 08:06 AM

Well, I guess there are 'better' tunes available than the Ford one.
But I'm not after getting the maximum in top end hp. It's the low and mid range torque improvement I'm interested in.

The Ford pack also doesn't void the warranty which is important to me as well, at least as long as the car's warranty is still in effect.
Old 5/5/12, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I with these guys, If your looking for more power go with a hand held and a custom tune from a reputable tuner.
If you want a little more power and keep your warranty in tact, then have a Ford dealer install the Ford pro cal tune.
Old 5/5/12, 07:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Scuba matt is right just don't get all butt hurt when a Steeda, Bama, or BBR guy blows your doors off. But hey.... you got an engine warranty and we don't lol.
Old 5/6/12, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Blows your doors off...right. We're talking maybe a 10-15 horse difference, best possible scenario, on a 3700 pound car. Hardly a hidden nitrous kit.

The Procal tune is a really nice street tune. It really perks up the bottom end. I don't think you'll really feel that big a diff. beyond that in an automatic application though, as stated, since the trans logic remains relatively unchanged.

I feel the tune is really mild on the fuel side and focuses on altering the timing advance curve. Since you're from Europe and good gas is easily available there, you can make the most of this.
Old 5/6/12, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Pro cal is average at best and is way behind any of the good tuners. And if you have an auto forget about it. It makes no changes with the shift points. And did I mention how some ping like hell?
Old 5/6/12, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think TJ is that far off... the engine is designed as an air pump; draw air in and push air out.

if you dismiss the less restrictive exhaust, then you might as well dismiss the CAI and the only thing left to "really" create power is the tune. And we know that's not factual.

there will probably be no affect in off the line torque translation, but midrange throttle response may be further improved. Big numbers-- I doubt it, but still an improvement.
Old 5/6/12, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Scuba matt is right just don't get all butt hurt when a Steeda, Bama, or BBR guy blows your doors off. But hey.... you got an engine warranty and we don't lol.
I'm not in love with any car makers warranty system, but its there for those who want to use it.

Writing service for a hi-line car maker gave me a chance to build a good relationship with guys that don't care about warranty, but you would be surprised how many of those guys really do care when it comes to spending big buck on short notice...

I had plenty of guys ask me -- what do you think of this or that mod?
I never tell them not to mod, but I make sure we have a gentlemens' agreement that if they disregard my suggestions they are on their own... if you break it, you buy it.

every guy doesn't want to break the sound barrier stop light to stop light, an "average tune" may be just what they are looking for.

one man's trash is another man's treasure. The company I work for got caught napping while all the other tuners were making cash hand over foot!! Three year went by before they offered a tuning kit, and compared to all the others -- it was considered weak. But it comes with a warranty, so its attractive to some and not to others. Its good that Ford stepped up to the plate.
Old 5/7/12, 10:06 AM

I have an 2011 GT/CS Convertible that is an automatic. Just yesterday, I tuned my GT/CS with a SVT tuner (The 93 tune). I have a DynoSpeed CAI and Borla Stinger axle back exhaust installed and I noticed a hell of a difference! In drive with sportmode on, it is hard to not squeel the tires and it catches second and not just a bark.
The shifting (Leaving it in drive or doing a little manual shifting) is 100% noticably harder and quicker. The car simply responds faster in every aspect of driving.
It is a different beast to say the least. Hope this helps with your decision making.
Old 5/7/12, 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by soldknow
I have an 2011 GT/CS Convertible that is an automatic. Just yesterday, I tuned my GT/CS with a SVT tuner (The 93 tune). I have a DynoSpeed CAI and Borla Stinger axle back exhaust installed and I noticed a hell of a difference! In drive with sportmode on, it is hard to not squeel the tires and it catches second and not just a bark.
The shifting (Leaving it in drive or doing a little manual shifting) is 100% noticably harder and quicker. The car simply responds faster in every aspect of driving.
It is a different beast to say the least. Hope this helps with your decision making.
Who's the tune from?
Old 5/7/12, 10:12 AM

SCT SF3 Tuner. The DynoSpeed shop in Memphis tuned it on the spot and did a great job.
Old 5/7/12, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by soldknow
SCT SF3 Tuner. The DynoSpeed shop in Memphis tuned it on the spot and did a great job.
I heard those are a tad better than mail tunes, but little more expensive.

Granted if the tuner knows what they are doing, they also can make them go boom

Last edited by DaSFGiants4Life; 5/7/12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 5/7/12, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SwissGT
Well, I guess there are 'better' tunes available than the Ford one.
But I'm not after getting the maximum in top end hp. It's the low and mid range torque improvement I'm interested in.

The Ford pack also doesn't void the warranty which is important to me as well, at least as long as the car's warranty is still in effect.
You know in the end, you're dealing with modification of the factory computer specs of the vehicle, 'Ford Racing' or not.

The point is, you can never be sure of what status of 'warranty' you will have now that that bottom line, the computer has been reflashed - regardless of who's last name is in the name of the tune. The dealer may *tell* you so, they may even put it in writing but with creative enough of a defense it is VERY easy to push back as long as it can not be refuted that the original programming was changed.

The overall pt is, if you're going to tune, make it count. If your only driver for the 'FRPP' tune is the chance of keeping warranty you could be mistaken. IIRC there was talks about the FRPP procal tuning causing a bad ping - but like everything else you hear re: tuning it could just be hearsay.

If you don't want to take that chance your best bet isn't paying too much for a supposed 'ford racing' tune but not to touch the drivetrain at all.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 5/7/12 at 01:50 PM.
Old 5/8/12, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
Blows your doors off...right. We're talking maybe a 10-15 horse difference, best possible scenario, on a 3700 pound car. Hardly a hidden nitrous kit.

When compared back-to-back, the Ford Racing tune has been shown to produce essentially no power over stock. When considering the changes to the transmission logic, yes, the result would most likely be a pretty bad loss for Ford Racing vs. any other reputable tuner.

Quick Reply: 2012 Mustang GT Power Upgrade Package w/ Automatic