5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2011 5.0 Strut Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/10, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
You should be able to re-use the nuts that are there...

I hope so, I did .
Old 7/1/10, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the STB make it harder to check the oil? I haven't seen one in person but in the photos it looks like the brace is right above the dipstick.
Old 7/8/10, 03:15 AM
V6 Member

so any update as to whether or not this will fit the 11 v6? Also, how hard of an install is it?
Old 8/29/10, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Does the STB make it harder to check the oil? I haven't seen one in person but in the photos it looks like the brace is right above the dipstick.
I took a look this weekend, and the strut brace is above the dipstick location. It will make it getting to the dipstick more difficult as you will need to bend it around the rear of the brace when checking. Thats still not gona stop me from adding it though.
Old 8/29/10, 09:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by reilly0925
Is it an easy install?
Originally Posted by mrXniick
Also, how hard of an install is it?
Come on guys... It's a matter of placing it over the screws and tightening the nut...

*the oil catch can is from here in case anyone inquires...
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...arator-11.html
Old 9/2/10, 07:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW

It's somewhat in the way but not really difficult. The hardest part for me is trying to put the dipstick back. I'm in an underground garage and the STB casts a shadow which makes it difficult to find the hole. Need to use a flashlight. Above ground and in the light-- no problem.

Cheers.
Old 9/2/10, 07:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
It's somewhat in the way but not really difficult. The hardest part for me is trying to put the dipstick back. I'm in an underground garage and the STB casts a shadow which makes it difficult to find the hole. Need to use a flashlight. Above ground and in the light-- no problem.
Old 9/2/10, 09:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Really not digging the 2-post strut tower bar. Are there any that encompass the full strut (all 4 mounting locations)?
Old 9/3/10, 04:41 PM
GT Member

I'm wondering if this one will fit over the 5.0:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OLC3/ima...-16A052-BL.jpg
Old 9/3/10, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

All of these designs are really making me just say blehh.

Optimum strength would involve a straight bar in the middle, not these curved designs, which would be much more prone to flexing.
Old 9/3/10, 05:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0

Optimum strength would involve a straight bar in the middle, not these curved designs, which would be much more prone to flexing.
Then be ready to carve a groove through your intake plenum. They're all curved so they fit over top of your engine. Nothing important.
Old 9/4/10, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

Not digging the elongated mounting holes either. Some questions whether the STB does anything or not except look good. Don't worry guys, I am not going to get into that arguement again! Got shot down before.

Cheers.
Old 9/5/10, 12:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Then be ready to carve a groove through your intake plenum. They're all curved so they fit over top of your engine. Nothing important.
I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. The section that actually connects both posts should be absolutely straight - not to say the entire bar from strut-to-strut is straight, obviously that wouldn't work.

For example, this is an optimum bar design. The part linking the strut to the bar can be in whatever shape is necessary, but the bar itself should be absolutely straight.

Old 9/6/10, 03:56 PM
GT Member

I think you might have misunderstood what I meant. The section that actually connects both posts should be absolutely straight - not to say the entire bar from strut-to-strut is straight, obviously that wouldn't work.

For example, this is an optimum bar design. The part linking the strut to the bar can be in whatever shape is necessary, but the bar itself should be absolutely straight.

That's going to require more hood clearance. I would agree with you if we we're dealing with a single piece of round tubing but the width of the current designs add rigidity to the brace.

Last edited by erickburke; 9/6/10 at 03:59 PM.
Old 9/6/10, 07:20 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I bought the strut tower brace for a 2010 G.T. from BMR. Part number STB011H, the one that will clear the engine cover. I guess it has the highest arch because i hope to add an engine cover on my 2011 V-6 when Ford starts selling them. The 2011 V-6's engine is sits higher than the G.T.'s engine. It is in the way just a little of the oil dip stick, but not bad enough to worry about. You use the old nuts but add some blue thread locker on them and tighten them to 26 ft./lbs.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 5.0 Strut Tower Brace-img_0368.jpg  
Old 9/6/10, 10:13 PM
Cobra R Member

I see what you are getting at, but unfortunately the lovely curves that look so good on the outside of the car preclude such geometry under the Mustang's hood.
Old 9/7/10, 09:59 AM
V6 Member

I don't think the curvature of the strut bar itself really matters. The shape of the curve would influence the bar to flex upward(with its ends flexing downward), but that is not the direction that the struts towers will move during aggressive driving.
Old 9/8/10, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

The curvature of the bar will have little to no impact if the brace is designed properly. The height of the brace (from the bottom to the top) and the width is what is critical. If the bar was 1/4" tall, it would flex like hell and do nothing, but if it were 3" tall, the rest of the car would flex more than the bar.
Old 9/8/10, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

A stright bar would not flex as much as a slightly curved bar, if they used the exact same material, say 1" round tube. But if the curved bar used, 1.25" tube and the stright bar used 1" tube, the curved bar should be stronger, although it will weigh more.

For the one person that will ask, no I am not going to tell the theoretical strength of of a curver bar vs. a stright bar. Curved objects are drastically harder to determine since they are not uniform.
Old 11/6/10, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know of a cheaper place to purchase the stock GT tower brace other than the local dealer. They just want too much for it.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Strut Tower Brace