5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

2 days with procal, today went back to stock.

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/12, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days with procal, today went back to stock.

Are you guys with procal really putting up with the tip in clunk or is it just me?

Pinging that sound like my heat shield crumpling is one thing, but what is the deal with the clunk or drive train slop that occur only in 6th gear when you get on the throttle? I can't really hear the clunk but I can definitely feel it. The only way I can avoid the clunk is if I rest my foot on the gas pedal and baby it before pressing down or go back to stock tune. I couldn't drive like this anymore so I reloaded my factory tune. I'm very disappointed to say the least. I always see tons of posts regarding pinging but never regarding the clunk. So this was definitely a surprise for me.

So how are you other procal guys dealing with the clunk? Or you dont have the tip in clunk in 6th gear while cruising? Did ford change the calibration for 2013?
Old 11/16/12, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by BOWTIE-X
Are you guys with procal really putting up with the tip in clunk or is it just me?

Pinging that sound like my heat shield crumpling is one thing, but what is the deal with the clunk or drive train slop that occur only in 6th gear when you get on the throttle? I can't really hear the clunk but I can definitely feel it. The only way I can avoid the clunk is if I rest my foot on the gas pedal and baby it before pressing down or go back to stock tune. I couldn't drive like this anymore so I reloaded my factory tune. I'm very disappointed to say the least. I always see tons of posts regarding pinging but never regarding the clunk. So this was definitely a surprise for me.

So how are you other procal guys dealing with the clunk? Or you dont have the tip in clunk in 6th gear while cruising? Did ford change the calibration for 2013?
I've got a 2011 and have neither ping nor clunk.
Old 11/16/12, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by senseisambo

I've got a 2011 and have neither ping nor clunk.
Ditto...LOVE my pro-cal, exactly what I was hoping for
Old 11/16/12, 03:57 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me like the Procal reduced/eliminated throttle lag and op can't adapt.
Old 11/18/12, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Yhea. That's what I was thinking. Something to do with throttle sensitivity. Too bad I can't have the procal tailored for my car specifically. I talk to bama and they said that they can adjust accordingly and get rid of the clunk but that just defeat my whole purpose of going with procal to keep my warranty. I can't believe this had to happen with my car, I am very disappointed I really liked the low rpm torque too. If any of you have a 2013 MT82 and is planning to go with procal you might want to keep this in mind. On stock tune I have ZERO clunk.
Old 11/22/12, 04:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BOWTIE-X
Yhea. That's what I was thinking. Something to do with throttle sensitivity. Too bad I can't have the procal tailored for my car specifically. I talk to bama and they said that they can adjust accordingly and get rid of the clunk but that just defeat my whole purpose of going with procal to keep my warranty. I can't believe this had to happen with my car, I am very disappointed I really liked the low rpm torque too. If any of you have a 2013 MT82 and is planning to go with procal you might want to keep this in mind. On stock tune I have ZERO clunk.
Did you take it back to the dealer who installed it?
Old 11/22/12, 09:02 AM
GT Member

I don't think this is dealers issue as the dealer does not touch ford racing related issues, and obviously this is 100% tune related problem. Without procal my car is fine. I have zero clunk, thump, slop or whatever. It's only after the procal goes on that causes this excessive thump in 6th gear whenever I hit the throttle. My car doesn't even show a small sign of trouble stock. However, I did talk with a ford racing tech and he claimed that the thump or slop is normal and expected due to more aggressive strategy calibration with procal. I have to call this BS all the way as I don't know of anyone who would be so eiger to drive in a car that feel like the rear is going to fall off every time you hit the throttle. I don't think the tech understand the nature of this slop I am getting with procal.

I want to hear from any of you specifically with 2013 manual transmission that have procal. Are you guys experiencing this or not?

Happy turkey day btw!
Old 11/22/12, 06:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you TALKED to a Ford tech but did you have one drive the car? My dealer is FRPP mod friendly so if I had this issue, and the dealer installed the tune, they would drive the car and see if it was normal or not.

Did the dealer install the tune or did you?