Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

13' Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/13, 06:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13' Air Intake?

Looking at getting an intake for my 13' 5.0, it seems most are in the $320-350 range and I'd rather not spend that much for a tube and cone filter; the roush intake is around $200 so not quite as bad; my question is, is it just as good as any other for the cash?
Will not be tuning the car for some time.
Also, will my hood vents be a problem with the open element? As I'd rather not have to plug them.
Old 1/17/13, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you don't want to tune, stay away from steeds and JLT. They require tunes for their CAIs. Roush will be fine. I have one on my f150 and I love it. Don't see much performance gains with it alone, but it sure makes my exhaust roar.
Old 1/18/13, 03:13 AM
GT Member

if your not worried about looks the airriad cai comes with a reducer for the MAF to keep you from needing a reflash. and then down the line when your ready for the reflash all you have to do it take out the plug. But dollar for dollar the Steeda kit is by far the nicest and most well engineered kit, but it will require a tune.

IMO stay away from anything JLT i have had issues with there products for years. CAI on my mach1 never fit right and melted to my valve cover. i had a JLT carbon fiber intake on my 2011 and it surged and bucked like crazy. never got a clean MAF siginal. (before anyone says it, i had the air filter in the exact right location on the tube). not to mention there was frayed pieces of fiber all over the inside and the tube was about as smooth as a cheese grader on the inside. total piece of trash for 500 freakin dollars.
Old 1/18/13, 06:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by blairnr67
If you don't want to tune, stay away from steeds and JLT. They require tunes for their CAIs. Roush will be fine. I have one on my f150 and I love it. Don't see much performance gains with it alone, but it sure makes my exhaust roar.
I see you have a 13' as well, Do you have any issues with water getting on your intake?
Old 1/18/13, 11:01 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by steven46746
I see you have a 13' as well, Do you have any issues with water getting on your intake?
i have a 2011. but water getting on your filter is not that big of a deal. Unless it a torrential down pour that you shouldn't be driving in anyway. people are blowing that all out of proportion.
Old 1/18/13, 11:24 AM
GT Member

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...FRRbnAod7WwAOQ

pre filters work super well for that issue.
Old 1/18/13, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your car came with a CAI. I would leave it and spend your money elsewhere.
Old 1/18/13, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Your car came with a CAI. I would leave it and spend your money elsewhere.
Why does everyone change theirs out then? I know the box says cold air induction but.....
Old 1/18/13, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Comes down to this: people have been swapping to cai on their mustang forever for an easy power gain. On these newer mustangs the stock cai is more than adequate and is cai but with a atock look. If you're looking for a performance upgrade(more power) swapping intake won't get ya far. Might add a couple ponies. That being said it does look a lot better so it would be more of an engine dress up item than anything else which is worth the $ for some but not all. Before I went supercharger, I personally bought the steeda unit knowing this but just loved the look of it. This may or may not start a heated discussion but this is my opinion from all I read. Hope this helps.
Old 1/19/13, 04:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by black5.0
Comes down to this: people have been swapping to cai on their mustang forever for an easy power gain. On these newer mustangs the stock cai is more than adequate and is cai but with a atock look. If you're looking for a performance upgrade(more power) swapping intake won't get ya far. Might add a couple ponies. That being said it does look a lot better so it would be more of an engine dress up item than anything else which is worth the $ for some but not all. Before I went supercharger, I personally bought the steeda unit knowing this but just loved the look of it. This may or may not start a heated discussion but this is my opinion from all I read. Hope this helps.
Well put. That's it in a nutshell.
Old 1/20/13, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kris Warwick
if your not worried about looks the airriad cai comes with a reducer for the MAF to keep you from needing a reflash. and then down the line when your ready for the reflash all you have to do it take out the plug. But dollar for dollar the Steeda kit is by far the nicest and most well engineered kit, but it will require a tune.

IMO stay away from anything JLT i have had issues with there products for years. CAI on my mach1 never fit right and melted to my valve cover. i had a JLT carbon fiber intake on my 2011 and it surged and bucked like crazy. never got a clean MAF siginal. (before anyone says it, i had the air filter in the exact right location on the tube). not to mention there was frayed pieces of fiber all over the inside and the tube was about as smooth as a cheese grader on the inside. total piece of trash for 500 freakin dollars.

Had the same issues with my JLT. No matter what I did, the thing bucked and surged when cold, and at highway speeds in 6th gear. Want to use it with a cam tune? Nope. Stalled all day long.

I've since noted at least for me, is since I prefer to run the cam tune all the time ill either be better off with a no tune required CAI, or modding my stock one. So far, I gutted my stock air box to be more open, but I'm tempted to see if I can utilize everything from the JLT except the inlet tube.
Old 1/20/13, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm about to have my JLT+2 filters used for sale!
Old 1/20/13, 03:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Had the same issues with my JLT. No matter what I did, the thing bucked and surged when cold, and at highway speeds in 6th gear. Want to use it with a cam tune? Nope. Stalled all day long.

I've since noted at least for me, is since I prefer to run the cam tune all the time ill either be better off with a no tune required CAI, or modding my stock one. So far, I gutted my stock air box to be more open, but I'm tempted to see if I can utilize everything from the JLT except the inlet tube.
use the JLT by selling that peice of **** on craigslist. the STEEDA peice is far superior. the cost is worth the MAF housing alone. its beautiful and extremly functional. the COBRAJET MAF housings are almost excact copys. (STEEDA Manufacturing makes ALLOT of FRPPs parts so it may in fact be the exact same part)
Old 1/20/13, 04:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep i've switched to the Steeda one. Just waiting on tuning.
Old 1/20/13, 05:01 PM
Cobra Member

Wonder if I can talk my dealer into letting me run the Steeda tune, I mean Steeda=ford right!!??
Old 1/20/13, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

It depends on your service department. I stay away from dealers so i do not worry about it.
Old 1/20/13, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bigblue11
It depends on your service department. I stay away from dealers so i do not worry about it.
Well if engine goes boom I'll have to return to the dealer lol.
Old 1/20/13, 05:57 PM
GT Member

Well if engine goes boom I'll have to return to the dealer lol.
there haven't have been as many #8 failures as the web would have you believe. trust me, I'm one of them. 99.8% of all the coyotes ever made have never had a problem. A few went from bad tunes and some when from people spinning the car to high to often with a lean "race tune" and not having good gas. plus Steeda has a very unique relationship with Ford and SCT. the only place i would run a E-tune file from would be Steeda. Not downing other major shops like, Lund, BAMA, or JPC; there are allot of experienced and professional calibrators.. Just don't trust in John Doe Performance to send you a good file just because they have SCT/Diablo software and a dyno.
Old 1/20/13, 06:06 PM
Cobra Member

Wonder if anyone has had their dealer say the Steeda tune was ok?
Old 1/20/13, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wonder if anyone has had their dealer say the Steeda tune was ok?
Probably not, but I bet steeda would jump in for warranty denials.

Quick Reply: 13' Air Intake?