4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

New exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/10, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New exhaust setup

I got a new exhaust setup installed on Wednesday. I was previously running Borla Stingers with the bassani x pipe with high flow cats. The setup sounded great, but I found it to be a little too raspy. I've listening to pretty much every clip on youtube (hence the Mustang exhaust guides I've made). I decided to give the Pypes Pype Bomb muffler deletes (AmericanMuscle $234.95) a try. As most people know Pypes are notorious for quality issues in terms of fitment etc, but the quality of the Pype Bomb's is very impressive. I tried the Pypes Bomb's with just my catted x first. I knew it would be loud but holy sh*t. Cruising was fine, but put your foot down and it was simply Armageddon. I decided to get a pair of Pypes M80 mid mufflers (Jegs $41.99 each) welded in just before the rear axle.

I dropped the car off at my local shop before work and about an hour and a half later they called to say it was ready. Upon arrival the manager wouldn't even give me the keys and said "you have to hear it, it's bad". At first I thought "uh oh, what could be wrong?", but as modern slang goes bad actually means good. On start up it sounded very similar in volume to the Borla's did. However when he revved it the volume had increased dramatically. At the same time the tone had changed to a snarling growl. The mid mufflers along with the Pypes Bomb's is just pure sexyness.

Once I got it out on the street I was shocked. When cruising you forget there is even exhaust on the car apart from a slight rumble. There is drone but nothing compared to the Borla's and nothing I feel is worth complaining about. It's not until you put your foot into it that it wakes up and boy does it ever rip. My co-worker and I made a small video tonight. The video doesn't do it justice at all but gives one an idea. It's much smoother and clean sounding in person and the popping like sound after each rev is purely down to the camera distorting the sound.

Revving

Cruising in 4th gear and acceleration at the end

Actually, it's very very similar to this setup although nowhere as loud, if I took my cats off it would probably sound the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTF2-9hoC_M

Last edited by Stangpilot007; 10/8/10 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10/21/10, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good read, thanks
Old 2/21/11, 05:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
Thanks for posting this, sounds great, very reasonable cost, this setup is on my short-list.

Now that you've had it for a while, how is the drone? I use my stang for a 1-hour highway commute at about 2000 RPM so I really want to make sure that I pick a system with zero drone. (comparable to the stock exhaust)

The only other disadvantage is that once you weld in those mid-mufflers you are stuck with them, unless you change the whole pipe; limits your ability to play with other axle-backs.
Old 2/22/11, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not going to lie, it does drone, but it's nothing unbearable. When I had Stingers the drone was worse. Personally, I don't think welding in mid mufflers is a disadvantage because trust me the sound blows away any other axleback.
Old 2/25/11, 07:11 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

That sounds superb, Lawrence.

You're obviously a man who appreciates a good exhaust as I remember the Bassini's on your SN95 sounding awesome. The best sounding SN95 I'd ever heard