Notices
4.6L GT Modifications Place to discuss the 4.6L 2010 motor based modifcations.

Help with 93 Race Tune Underperforming from Bama

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/22, 08:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Help with 93 Race Tune Underperforming from Bama

Looking for help. I have a '10 stock GT with manual and just an axle back exhaust. I have the rev x tuner and Bama sent me their 93 race tune. I loaded it and it's very throttle responsive which I like but only when under 2K rpm. After that it seems like it makes decent power up to 3K rpm and then just bogs down from 3K and up, much worse/slower acceleration than stock.

Bama requested an idle data log and a 1500 rpm - 4500 rpm step data log. I've already done those and submitted them. The last thing I need to do apparently is get a wide band 02 sensor and then have someone install it and then do a 3rd gear pull at WOT... I guess.... really not liking this last step.

Has anyone else had to do the wideband 02 sensor install and 3rd gear pull data log? That's precisely what I'm needing help with. I'm about to just toss the 93 tune aside and go get the car dyno tuned but that will for some time since I still need to get cams and headers. It's pretty frustrating. Any issues like this with Lito's tunes? I mean I got to spend another $200 for the wideband sensor and then another $100 to have someone install it so I'm looking at $300 more now with Bama. I'm also kinda nervous to go and do a 3rd gear pull when the tune is not performing well past 3K...

Really just wanting a plug and pay tune that if I have to data log, fine, but I don't want to have to buy more tech and then hope it all works out. I've got more performance parts to spend my money on so I would rather not waste any more money on a Bama tune. Thoughts? Should I just toss the 93 bama tune out and go somewhere else? If so, who? Like I said, I have cam and header plans and a dyno tune but that's a few months out.
Old 3/7/22, 10:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,027 Posts
This sounds familiar, I think I already replied in a similar thread . . .

Since you already paid Bama, I might continue working with them a little, to see if they can get it figured out . . . but I would not spend any more money with them for tunes, instead go directly to Lito. I have used Lito for tuning on my 2010 GT (manual transmission with some minor mods) and I have been very happy with his work.

You can discuss with Lito about the wideband sensor. I do not have one, and he seemed to be fine with the datalogs that I provided, using the standard factory sensors. For something more advanced (like cams and/or headers) he might need the wideband, to get more reliable O2 readings. I think Lito's remote tunes (using datalogs) are the "next best thing" to a dyno tune; and probably better than many dyno tunes because he has a LOT of experience with this engine.

I would not expect any noticeable improvement from just a tune on your stock car, but later when you do other mods, it will be more important. But it should run as good or better than stock, it should not run bad like it is now.

Please do report back, we'll be interested to hear if Bama can get this sorted out, or not.

Last edited by Bert; 3/7/22 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (3/11/22)
Old 3/7/22, 02:51 PM

That was me on the other site just trying to reach as many as I could who might be able to help. Thanks for the advice Bert. I sent the logs to Bama Friday AM and early PM except the 3rd gear pull but haven't heard back yet. I'll def update though when they do and see if any revisions changed things.
Bert (3/11/22)
Old 3/11/22, 11:28 AM

Just updating, I still have not heard a word back from Bama since I sent the logs in on the 4th. I've sent a couple follow up emails and nothing back and I've called their 888 number option 3, was put on hold and then disconnected. Did that for 15 minutes and multiple disconnections. I'm not going to waste my time with these guys any more especially when I don't get a reply within a week... that's just crazy to me. Just wanted to update where I was at with them at this point.
Bert (3/11/22)
Old 3/11/22, 01:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,980 Likes on 1,604 Posts
First off! You do not need to install a wideband 02 unless your running F/I as in supercharger/turbo application or upgrading to long tube headers or cams. For basic bolt-on applications, all that is required for data-logging is the SCT tuning software and a laptop PC.. Therefore, if Bama requested you have a wideband 02 installed for just an axle-back exhaust upgrade? they are full of crap..
Personally, I wouldn't let Bama tune my friggin lawnmower, as I learned this the hard way as one of their ex-customers.

That being said, I would strongly recommend following Bert's advice by not spending anymore of your hard earned money on Bama, and strongly consider making the switch to Lito.
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
Bert (3/11/22), ZManTN (3/27/22)
Old 3/27/22, 08:06 PM

Updating this thread guys: I moved on from Bama just over two weeks ago. At that time, I had tried to reach Bama for over a week sending emails and also called in and they just never replied or returned my calls until over a week later but at that point I had already decided to move on from them and switched over to Lito instead. I have to say that I am very glad that I changed to Lito. His very first tune hands down was way better than Bama's first 93 race tune. That's just a fact guys. Lito's tune now has my car launching harder, pulling harder and overall just woke the car up and in just a couple of revisions.

My experience with Lito has been just what I kept hearing from everyone, excellent! He communicates clearly and quickly. He sent my first tune a couple of weeks ago right after I ditched Bama. I had to do a couple logs but without needing a wideband. I sent the logs back and he then sent me the first revision. I sent back another couple of logs and then recently he sent his third and final revision, and after driving around and making a few hard pulls I'm totally satisfied. He confirmed everything looked good and report back to him if anything comes up. He definitely knows the 3v motor. I highly recommend him.

Last edited by ZManTN; 3/27/22 at 08:08 PM.
Old 3/28/22, 06:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,027 Posts
thanks for the update . . . I have yet to hear of any unhappy customers with Lito!
ZManTN (3/28/22)