Notices
Sterling Gray Sterling Gray 2010+ Mustangs

Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/13, 11:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs

I have a request for all my fellow sterling gray Mustang owners... I know this request won't reach very many people who have this exact color combination, but I'll give it a shot anyway...

Would you please post a very close-up picture, in full sunlight, showing how the gloss of your black racing stripe compares with the gloss of your gray body paint? In other words, I'm trying to get a sense for how glossy the stripe is compared to the body paint, when light is reflecting off of it.

Please also post who manufactures the vinyl that was used for your stripes, or if you don't know, at least comment on who you bought them from.

The point of my question is that I am trying to figure out who makes the glossiest high-quality black stripe.

Here's an old post from another forum that shows what I am trying to envision:

https://themustangsource.com/f691/be...8/#post5960892

Thanks!
Old 7/8/13, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have stripes, but I ran into this dilemma trying to do a two tone look for my stang. The stock mustangs' black parts such as the grill, front lower valance, rear valance and lower sides, etc... have a matte black finish to them. They look like cheap rubber black parts to me and so i never liked them, especially when they're connected to the beautiful SGM finish. Here's an example of a gt500 rear lower valance and the Roush chin splitter I original got when I was in the process of modding my rear ender. The third is a pic of my original stock front bumper. See how the matte black, especially the license plate holder just doesn't match the beautiful sheen of the SGM finish?
Attached Thumbnails Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3865926924.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-2556307441.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-1906506524.jpg  
Old 7/8/13, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sakol
I don't have stripes, but I ran into this dilemma trying to do a two tone look for my stang. The stock mustangs' black parts such as the grill, front lower valance, rear valance and lower sides, etc... have a matte black finish to them. They look like cheap rubber black parts to me and so i never liked them, especially when they're connected to the beautiful SGM finish. Here's an example of a gt500 rear lower valance and the Roush chin splitter I original got when I was in the process of modding my rear ender. The third is a pic of my original stock front bumper. See how the matte black, especially the license plate holder just doesn't match the beautiful sheen of the SGM finish?
So I had them painted full glossy black to complement the beautiful SGM finish. This really helps with the '13 led taillights as they come glossy black. So the decklid was painted to match as well. I think if I ever add stripes, I would paint it glossy black to match. To me, anything vinyl, stickers, etc. wouldn't look right. Just my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-572273913.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3020742480.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-164380891.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-4152467697.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3343233158.jpg  

Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3904197444.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-2118270987.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3839057759.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-1594651420.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-2466040788.jpg  

Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-913413053.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3890407832.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3665183409.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-2475163343.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-354066906.jpg  

Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3671180923.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3910057509.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-1915359021.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-2660184764.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-2719941977.jpg  

Old 7/8/13, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Dam Sak your car is really coming along. How much did you end up paying to get the extra parts painted gloss black? What shop did you use? I know your not to far away from me and I will want striped added to mine soon.

Matthew
Old 7/8/13, 09:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Not really a close-up but all I have of a buddy's car:

Old 7/9/13, 03:56 AM
GT Member

Thanks for posting those photos, Sakol. You're sure right that gloss black looks awesome on those body parts! Now I'm tempted to do the same.
Old 7/9/13, 03:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Not really a close-up but all I have of a buddy's car
Thanks Gabe, I can sort of see the gloss of the stripes in that photo--it looks similar to the gloss of the body paint. Do you know who manufactured the vinyl, or where your friend bought the stripes?
Old 7/9/13, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lothar

Would you please post a very close-up picture, in full sunlight, showing how the gloss of your black racing stripe compares with the gloss of your gray body paint? In other words, I'm trying to get a sense for how glossy the stripe is compared to the body paint, when light is reflecting off of it.
Here are some photos of about the closest I've gotten to the stripes. The lighting differences are affecting the way the contrast appears. In direct sunlight, I've found that the glossy black color is harder to see than matte black. However, I do think it looks great when seen from up close. I like matte black also.

Please also post who manufactures the vinyl that was used for your stripes, or if you don't know, at least comment on who you bought them from.

The point of my question is that I am trying to figure out who makes the glossiest high-quality black stripe.
I also think you are going to find similarities in the color contrast, regardless of manufacturer. To me visually, the thicker the material, the more it "stands out". My hood and rear decklid stripes were from a local company but I am not sure of the manufacturer they used for the cut. The side stripes are from a company called ProMotorStripes
Attached Thumbnails Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-p1010197_resize50.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-p1010212_resize50.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-p1010221_resize50.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-p1010108-2-_resize50.jpg  
Old 7/9/13, 07:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Thanks Gabe, I can sort of see the gloss of the stripes in that photo--it looks similar to the gloss of the body paint. Do you know who manufactured the vinyl, or where your friend bought the stripes?
Unfortunately I don't know the manufacturer, and I'm pretty sure he had them installed somewhere local in Mass ... place in Billerica I think
Old 7/9/13, 08:34 AM
GT Member

@Tony: Thanks for those photos, that looks really sharp! Your black wheels complete the look very nicely too. That's interesting what you said about gloss black not standing out as much as matte black on this gray car--I hadn't been thinking along those lines. I guess I don't really mind that, as I'm looking for a subtle contrast, otherwise I would have gone with something like silver or red stripes.

@Gabe: Okay, thanks!
Old 7/9/13, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Dam Sak your car is really coming along. How much did you end up paying to get the extra parts painted gloss black? What shop did you use? I know your not to far away from me and I will want striped added to mine soon.

Matthew
Thanks. Did we meet somewhere? I'm in Culver City, but used to live in Alhambra, Downey, Fountain Valley, Santa Ana, even San Francisco. Anyway, Ronyscarpros.com did the entire restoration/mod labor/service. I supplied all the parts. Rony charged me $5800.00. About $2000.00 was for paint job.

I too would like to get side stripes to accentuate the trufiber vented fenders. But am interested to learn if there is a better option than paint if it will achieve consistent SGM/glossy black look. Here's some illustrations of my idea for stripes...first was just doing a simple gradation from gloss black at side vent and blending into SGM finish by the time it gets to door handle. The other option is straight gloss black design similar to a Boss/Roush stripe combo.
Attached Thumbnails Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-3340012322.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-2908928074.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-362715791.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-189680579.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-1456593289.jpg  

Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-28919473.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-1039263907.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-4133067577.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-4147675794.jpg   Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs-image-1267135385.jpg  

Old 7/9/13, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

Here are some photos of about the closest I've gotten to the stripes. The lighting differences are affecting the way the contrast appears. In direct sunlight, I've found that the glossy black color is harder to see than matte black. However, I do think it looks great when seen from up close. I like matte black also.

I also think you are going to find similarities in the color contrast, regardless of manufacturer. To me visually, the thicker the material, the more it "stands out". My hood and rear decklid stripes were from a local company but I am not sure of the manufacturer they used for the cut. The side stripes are from a company called ProMotorStripes
You are right Tony Alonso. For me, the gloss black on my SGM shifts and changes based on what angle you are looking at as well as the angle of light. IMO I love how it shifts/changes. It never gets old. When my friends see my car moving, theyre mesmerised by lighting trick. To fully see the contrast, I find it is best during overcast day when there is no sunlight.
Old 7/9/13, 09:32 AM
GT Member

I love both of those options, Sakol! The second one is more visually striking, but I'd be hard-pressed to choose between the two.
Old 7/9/13, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I love both of those options, Sakol! The second one is more visually striking, but I'd be hard-pressed to choose between the two.
Thanks! It will be a hard choice. I've seen vinyl wraps and thought about taping off and plasti dipping the two ideas...just so I can live with it for awhile and really see which one I like. Unfortunately, plastidip doesn't come in gloss black. And black vinyl wrap can only do solids and not a gradation blend. As far as I know. Maybe someone here knows?
Old 7/9/13, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
To fully see the contrast, I find it is best during overcast day when there is no sunlight.
Fully agree!
Old 7/13/13, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Here are some in the sun of mine Lothar, washed the car last night to a cloudy morning, and then it rained as I was pulling back into work but the sun did come back out
These are American Muscles, the Viny is Oracal not 3M, the Placement masking tape is 3M though.
The Clouds and gravel both reflect pretty good on this Vinyl.
Name:  20130713_143617_zpsc429fb99.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  148.5 KB
Name:  20130713_143547_zpse8f1ebb0.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  70.0 KB
Sorry it took so long, but Tennessee has had its wettest year in a while
Old 7/13/13, 09:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow. Looks great.
Old 7/14/13, 03:56 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
Here are some in the sun of mine Lothar, washed the car last night to a cloudy morning, and then it rained as I was pulling back into work but the sun did come back out
These are American Muscles, the Viny is Oracal not 3M, the Placement masking tape is 3M though.
The Clouds and gravel both reflect pretty good on this Vinyl.
Ahh, that's a great photo, Siber--that's exactly what I needed to see! The gloss on those stripes looks great.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear you say that American Muscle uses Oracal, since I had read on a couple of different posts that they use 3M. Maybe they've changed recently, or maybe they use different brands for different colors. Can you tell me how long ago you bought the stripes from them?

Thanks so much for the photos!
Old 7/14/13, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Wow. Looks great.
Thank Sakol, yours is looking awesome.

Ahh, that's a great photo, Siber--that's exactly what I needed to see! The gloss on those stripes looks great.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear you say that American Muscle uses Oracal, since I had read on a couple of different posts that they use 3M. Maybe they've changed recently, or maybe they use different brands for different colors. Can you tell me how long ago you bought the stripes from them?

Thanks so much for the photos!
I was one that thought American Muscle had 3M. I know it says 3M all over it on the top on the Masking paper, then you turn it over and it says Oracal on the Backing paper.
I know the Red and Blue are Oracal also, I had samples of them.
Old 7/14/13, 07:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I was one that thought American Muscle had 3M. I know it says 3M all over it on the top on the Masking paper, then you turn it over and it says Oracal on the Backing paper.
I know the Red and Blue are Oracal also, I had samples of them.
Okay thanks, that's useful to know!

I assume those American Muscle stripes aren't pre-cut for the various body sections, is that right?

Quick Reply: Request for close-up pics of black racing stripes on sterling gray Mustangs