Notices
Sterling Gray Sterling Gray 2010+ Mustangs

My new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/14, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My new Mustang

Had her for about a month now. My first new car. She is a base V6 model with nothing fancy. Perfect for modifications! Had the dealerships in the area competing and got her for $17k which I was pleased with. After a week I installed a Cold Air Intake and then the paint matched side mirror covers. I have a list of mods that I would like and will cross them off as I go. There is a local Mustang club here in Tampa that I plan to get involved in and then going to the Autocross event next month.

Trying to decide if I want to go coilovers or not. I am not totally new to the scene of suspension mods but only had an old eclipse ricer. Anyone with coilovers care to give their impressions? If it helps, I am looking at 20" wheels in the future. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails My new Mustang-sterling-4-1024x768-.jpg   My new Mustang-sterling-3-1024x733-.jpg   My new Mustang-sterling-2-1024x768-.jpg   My new Mustang-sterling-1-1024x768-.jpg  
Old 1/13/14, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats. She looks very nice.
Old 1/13/14, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful! Congrats!
Old 1/13/14, 02:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats n welcome to tms.. hope u get the clarification answered soon
Old 1/14/14, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice! I have only modified my base GT once so far, putting leather take off upholstery in it. I have other plans but that is it for now. I like the leather seating much better but some don't.
Old 1/14/14, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
Nice! I have only modified my base GT once so far, putting leather take off upholstery in it. I have other plans but that is it for now. I like the leather seating much better but some don't.
I have the black cloth interior but further down the road I plan to change to the saddle leather. I love the way the saddle leather looks with the sterling gray mustangs.
Old 1/14/14, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks just like mine! Very nice. I'm about to do a CAI and side mirrors as well. I'm a total novice, and I hope the CAI install is something I can handle.
Old 1/14/14, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdiaz1069
Looks just like mine! Very nice. I'm about to do a CAI and side mirrors as well. I'm a total novice, and I hope the CAI install is something I can handle.

Haha, just follow the directions and you will be totally fine. When in doubt, there are YouTube videos on how to install them.
Old 1/14/14, 01:59 PM
GT Member

That CAI looks awesome, Anthony, and you certainly got the right body color for your 'Stang.

Now you've just gotta get rid of that hood prop rod and replace it with Redline Tuning struts.

My old prop rod is actually sitting right next to me as I type this, propped against my wall, waiting to go into storage up into the attic next time I go up there. I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to store it though, as it has zero value.
Old 1/14/14, 02:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Congrats ... if you need help with those modifications ... keep us in mind!

Enjoy the ride.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 1/14/14, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Haha I have a long list of modifications! I just look online on my free time, I see something that really appeals to me and I put it on the list. The list will grow I am sure but for now looks like:

Map light LEDs
Ford Racing Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace

3.73 Gears

One Piece Aluminum Drive shaft

Wilwood Superlite Front and Rear Brake kits

JLT Oil Separator

Procharger High Output Intercooled Supercharger System
Interior blue LEDs
Deep impact blue single stripe with silver pinstriping
CDC performance grille
Roush front chin spoiler
Still deciding on wheels probably in the 20" size
Eibach Pro Street R2 Coilover kit
Watts link rear suspension
GT/CS rear Spoiler
TruFiber A72KR Hood
Hood Struts
Old 1/14/14, 02:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by killaz05
Haha I have a long list of modifications! I just look online on my free time, I see something that really appeals to me and I put it on the list. The list will grow I am sure but for now looks like:

Map light LEDs
Ford Racing Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace

3.73 Gears

One Piece Aluminum Drive shaft

Wilwood Superlite Front and Rear Brake kits

JLT Oil Separator

Procharger High Output Intercooled Supercharger System
Interior blue LEDs
Deep impact blue single stripe with silver pinstriping
CDC performance grille
Roush front chin spoiler
Still deciding on wheels probably in the 20" size
Eibach Pro Street R2 Coilover kit
Watts link rear suspension
GT/CS rear Spoiler
TruFiber A72KR Hood
Hood Struts
#1 on that list for me would be the 3.73 axle. That's what I have, and I love it.

The supercharger though would be mighty tempting...
Old 1/14/14, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
#1 on that list for me would be the 3.73 axle. That's what I have, and I love it.

The supercharger though would be mighty tempting...

Haha it is all tempting but I have to go with where my budget at the time leads me. From what I understand, Procharger doesn't have a kit for the 2013-2014 V6 models. Only the 2011-2012 which I don't totally understand but I guess something is different.

I want to do the gears soon but I also want to change the driveshaft because I have read way too many horror stories and my baby will be seeing the Autocross track soon! All comes down to money!
Old 1/14/14, 02:55 PM
GT Member

Haha it is all tempting but I have to go with where my budget at the time leads me. From what I understand, Procharger doesn't have a kit for the 2013-2014 V6 models. Only the 2011-2012 which I don't totally understand but I guess something is different.

I want to do the gears soon but I also want to change the driveshaft because I have read way too many horror stories and my baby will be seeing the Autocross track soon! All comes down to money!
I sure hear ya on the money thing, Anthony. I actually don't know at all how the 3.73 would feel on a V6, as mine are on the 5.0, but I can only imagine that it would be a big improvement.

I've been considering the driveshaft too, though it's hard for me to justify on my (spirited) daily driver.
Old 1/14/14, 02:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lothar
I sure hear ya on the money thing, Anthony. I actually don't know at all how the 3.73 would feel on a V6, as mine are on the 5.0, but I can only imagine that it would be a big improvement.

I've been considering the driveshaft too, though it's hard for me to justify on my (spirited) daily driver.
I have read that the 3.73 gears are one of the best upgrades to both V8 and V6 Mustangs. The main reason for the driveshaft upgrade is because the stock one detonates at really high speeds like 130mph which is possible on a track.
Old 1/14/14, 03:03 PM
GT Member

I have read that the 3.73 gears are one of the best upgrades to both V8 and V6 Mustangs. The main reason for the driveshaft upgrade is because the stock one detonates at really high speeds like 130mph which is possible on a track.
Yeah, I know the stock driveshaft is weak, and I'd be more inclined to upgrade if I did serious track time.

I do love the 3.73 axle. Every manual-shift car that I've ever owned (there have been many), I've stalled at least once. It's **** hard to stall a 3.73 in 1st gear though--you just pop the clutch and you're off. That's not at all why I like it though, just an observation. I just love hearing my wheels chirp every time I take off.
Old 1/14/14, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Those gears are very tempting but it looks like to have a shop install them, I would be looking at a total cost around $500-$600 with parts and labor. Why can't these things be cheap
Old 1/14/14, 06:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Those gears are very tempting but it looks like to have a shop install them, I would be looking at a total cost around $500-$600 with parts and labor. Why can't these things be cheap
There is nothing cheap with these, I have almost $1200 in the exhaust by itself and I am still running Stock cats and the stock over the axle pipes. I did drive 1 with the 2.73's and I said no way, I got the Performance Package and it comes with 3.31's. Mine gets 500 miles a week put on it so I will not go any higher but that is me.
You definitely got the right color though and like Lothar said, get the Redline hood struts. I can't even remember where my prop rod is.
Old 1/14/14, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
There is nothing cheap with these, I have almost $1200 in the exhaust by itself and I am still running Stock cats and the stock over the axle pipes. I did drive 1 with the 2.73's and I said no way, I got the Performance Package and it comes with 3.31's. Mine gets 500 miles a week put on it so I will not go any higher but that is me.
You definitely got the right color though and like Lothar said, get the Redline hood struts. I can't even remember where my prop rod is.
The hood struts are one of those relatively cheap upgrades that I plan to make soon. I drive 50 miles a day mostly on a highway but from what I hear, I think 3.73 would be nice and aggressive for me. I was looking at exhaust... I want the BBK headers, BBK catted X-pipe and Borla S-types. That is easily a few thousand. I tease myself though with youtube sound clips haha.
Old 1/14/14, 06:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
I have the BBK Shorties on mine, I do more corner carving than straight line so I was looking for low to mid range on the torque.
The Hood Struts I got from CJ on sale, I think it was under $80 for them and 10 minutes to install, cleans up the engine bay real quick not having to go around the prop rod.
Name:  20131018_215938_zpsf1cad16d.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  81.0 KB

Quick Reply: My new Mustang