Notices
Sterling Gray Sterling Gray 2010+ Mustangs

Door Ajar Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/21, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Ajar Light Problem

Alright everyone I need some help. I have a 2010 Mustang V6 and the “door ajar” light will not go off, I know this is a common issue but I think mine is particularly weird.

•When running a system check it says that all doors are closed and the trunk is closed.
•When I shut either door the windows still tuck up in the seal
•When I lock the car I get 2 honks instead of 1
•When anything is open (doors/trunk) it tells me exactly what is open

All of this being correct except the 2 honks when locking and yet I’m still getting a door ajar light? What sensor is bad? Is it even a sensor? All your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12/16/21, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the Forums!

You will need to plug in a proper Ford scan tool or equivalent (Forscan maybe) that will let you ask the module(s) involved as to what they're seeing, and then you'll have the proper item to fix at that point.

However, taking a guess it would be one of the two sensors in either door:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=117%20...0Alarm.pdf&p=2

You can see the alarm system of the *2011* which monitors the latch position as well as the window position. Unlike, it appears, the *2005* version:
https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=711&f=117%20...0Alarm.pdf&p=2
Which seems to monitor just the latches.

Now, the 2010 is very close to the 2011 in the body components, being as the engine/transmission packages were not changed until 2011. So the 2011 wiring is probably applicable to your situation, but I'd recommend an actual 2010 Mustang shop manual with wiring diagrams and diagnostics in it to be completely sure.

That said, your question about 'what sensors for the door ajar' is as follows: Left and right latch switches, left and right window motor position sensors. One of those four is it. At least, that's what the wiring diagram says for the 2011, again, proper document of YOUR year model is important.

Anyway, if it's the same as 2011 vs 2010, then it's possible the window motor positioning is wrong instead of the latch switch. I'm not sure a learn is possible, and it may be that you need to replace a window motor. *As an example of what it could be*, mind, as that's a complete and utter guess from waaaaay over here in my computer chair. Again, the scan tool is likely required to see what the computer's 'thinking' and find the correct actual component that needs servicing. Another item is the alarm board is unhappy, or the SJB is unhappy, or there's a wiring that's out of spec... all kinds of things, and all kinds of goose chases. *looks at that whole 'manual' thing again* You'll just have to do some more tests and figure it out... or take it to a reputable shop that knows how to do it and can get/has the 2010 Mustang shop manual to do it with.

I hope that helps, although I'm sure it's not the answer you were looking for. Still, good luck!
Old 12/17/21, 07:59 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
This
Old 12/24/21, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, just wanted to update you. I got the OBDLink EX and scanned my car with FORScan (an amazing tool, much better than BlueDriver for Fords).

Actually, the issue was quite simple. There a 4 sensors that trigger the door ajar warning:
  1. The driver door ajar switch (which causes the panel to indicate "Driver Door Ajar" when open
  2. The passenger door ajar switch (which causes the panel to indicate "Passenger Door Ajar" when open
  3. The trunk door ajar switch (which causes the panel to indicate "Trunk Ajar" when open
  4. The HOOD ajar switch (which causes the panel to indicate... nothing when the hood is open, go figure)
Haha, I looked at the signal coming from that switch with FORScan as I opened and closed the hood, and... it was always ajar. Upon further inspection, I found that the hood switch electrical contacts were rusty, and one of them broke off (Montréal rusts anything). I got a replacement from Ford and fixed the issue right away.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 12/24/21, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Does your car have a security System or AutoStart feature on it from Ford. My 2010 did not have a hood sensor but my 2013 does with the Alarm on it.
Old 12/25/21, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
The HOOD ajar switch (which causes the panel to indicate... nothing when the hood is open, go figure)
Well.. There's a new one to me. Huh. I'm going to remember that! Thanks for the update and the information!
Old 12/25/21, 10:14 AM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
" What he said"