Notices
Sterling Gray Sterling Gray 2010+ Mustangs

Dealer Options for a 2013 V6 Premium

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/12, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Options for a 2013 V6 Premium

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum, as i just ordered my Mustang in August (V6 Premium). I am still awaiting for it to be delivered to the dealer (should be any day now), but I was wondering if anyone had bought the additional protection packages that the dealers sell with the car, and if they are worth it?

The main things i am wondering about are add ons like undercoating, rust protection, and even paint protection. I don't have the paperwork on me that the dealer gave me, but the sales man told me that if i go with the paint protection, i will never need to wax the car. This just sounds too good to be true so I wanted to check if anyone else had purchased these or know more about them?

Thanks!
Old 10/18/12, 11:25 AM
GT Member

I didn't get any of the extras, the dealer did not push them either. What we say around here is all the best types of rustproofing can be added later, and they don't typically come from a dealer anyways. The rustproofing that works must be touched-up every so often, it's not a one-shot and it's done forever deal.

I have a 20+ year-old Ford that has never been waxed lol and water still beads all over it. This was a stock finish with Ford back then, but they "degraded" the paint/clearcoat finish a looong time ago. The point being that I do believe they can do what they say *now*, because they could do it in 1990. I'm certainly not saying that regular waxing etc. isn't a lot better, just that you get some of the benefits of waxing without doing it.

Last edited by cfraser; 10/18/12 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10/18/12, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I passed on the extended warranties. If you search Mustang and rust you will find a few people complaining about rust on the hood. I even saw a guy on YouTube pointing this out.

Where will you keep the car, in a garage or will it sit outside? How diligent will you be maintaining the finish? What was your experience with your last car? There's a lot to ponder when weighing this question.
Old 10/18/12, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They are all rip-offs.....simply additional profit for the dealer...don't take any of them...the paint protection would simply be the most expensive wax job you ever had....
Old 10/18/12, 05:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Worst dealership rip offs have got to be tape stripe, smokers package, and nitrogen fill.
Old 10/18/12, 07:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

no extras purchased with my 2013 either.. not worth it IMO
Old 10/18/12, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by the dudeness
Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum, as i just ordered my Mustang in August (V6 Premium). I am still awaiting for it to be delivered to the dealer (should be any day now), but I was wondering if anyone had bought the additional protection packages that the dealers sell with the car, and if they are worth it?

The main things i am wondering about are add ons like undercoating, rust protection, and even paint protection. I don't have the paperwork on me that the dealer gave me, but the sales man told me that if i go with the paint protection, i will never need to wax the car. This just sounds too good to be true so I wanted to check if anyone else had purchased these or know more about them?

Thanks!
You don't believe you'll never have to wax the car, do you?
Old 10/18/12, 09:16 PM

it was the stupidiest thing i ever signed up for - basically paid 300 bucks for a one time wax job lol (paint protection) when i first picked up the car - 2 years later you bring the car in they inspect it for 15 mins (the guy went to the bathroom) than send you on your way obvioiusly finding nothing wrong, come again in 2 years.... - everything is done in the begining (undercoating, wax, rust protection (10 dollar spray can lol) but they dont touch the car again....it will be the most expensive ripoff ever

biggest scam from a dealership do not do it EVER GET IT - like 99 percent profit for em...

Last edited by Giantmonkey; 10/18/12 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10/19/12, 11:15 AM
V6 Member

Thanks guys! I really could not bring myself to believe i would never need to wax again, aside from the strict definition of need as it relates to the vehicle running instead of looking good.

As for taking care of the car, i plan on keeping it in the garage when not in use. Washes every week to 2 weeks (or more often if i happen to drive through a dust storm or something). interior fully cleaned every month, leather cleaner and protectant for the seats and damp cloth for the dash with UV protectant applied after.

My previous car, i only had for 2 years and it was a 2008 dodge avenger that i bought off of lease (it was the best looking car that i could afford and afford the insurance at the time). Never had any of these dealer options and had no issues with rust or paint wearing.

This car has been a dream since i was little (though the true dream is the GT500, the V6 will still be fun and economical enough that for my situation it is the logical choice) so i just want to make sure i make the right decisions about caring for it. I do not want to get rid of this car, i want to be able to still drive it in 20 years after its got well over 200,000 miles on it.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10/22/12, 06:22 AM
V6 Member

Ok, so i picked up my Mustang on Friday night (pictures to come), and i ended up going with the dealer options for one reason. My dealer had a warranty for these (purchasing all of them was cheaper than buying any one on its own), the biggest one was with the interior. 10 year warranty where if the interior fades or stains, they will remove the stain or replace the carpet or part that is stained.

Living in the midwest i know just how dirty and stained the carpet can get durring the winters. So i feel that this is a valid option to keep the interior looking great. the rust protection, im sure is a cheap rip off, but im sure it does more than nothing.

Anyway, we will see how this all goes down when i go to use this warranty. Sometimes you just have to make the mistake once to learn your lesson, or they offered me a valid deal.

They haven't actually don't any of this yet, as they still owe me side scoops and a spoiler, so i will bring the car back to them in a few days to do it all.
Old 10/22/12, 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What I have always read is put the money you spend on these in an account and use it if needed ( which in the vast majority of cases doesn't happen as dealers wouldn't sell these if they didn't win a lot more often then they lose on them)...if not used you have the money to spend anyway you choose. If you have them though, read the fine print,there usually are a lot of provisions you have to follow to be able to make a claim on them...good luck!

Last edited by JCStang; 10/22/12 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10/22/12, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JCStang
What I have always read is put the money you spend on these in an account and use it if needed ( which in the vast majority of cases doesn't happen as dealers wouldn't sell these if they didn't win a lot more often then they lose on them)...if not used you have the money to spend anyway you choose. If you have them though, read the fine print,there usually are a lot of provisions you have to follow to be able to make a claim on them...good luck!

+1 and Good luck with the new whip!!