Notices
Grabber Blue Grabber Blue 2010+ Mustangs

DMichaels Build Thread

Old 12/16/14, 05:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
DMichaels Build Thread

Figured why not start a build thread. I'll have to grab some more pictures of a few other things I've done, but quick start below.

Ordered my car in April, 2013
Picked up the car June 4, 2013

Before all that, What started it all was a business trip to San Diego where I got a free upgrade to a 2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT. Fortunately, that particular trip was one my wife came out for for a couple days, and she loved the car (which is shocking since she has zero interest in cars...). That was January 2013 timeframe. Her words were "I really like this car, you should sell your Audi and get one"

3 weeks later my S4 was sold

And then let the games begin...

Car that started it all (rental in Cali)

Only time I would ever let my wife sit on a car hood... rental...

June 4, 2013 - car picked up and the "cleanest picture ever" taken in front of my house.

"Cleanest wheels ever" picture on day 1

Putting it on the dyno for fun. 376 whp

Last edited by dmichaels; 12/16/14 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12/16/14, 06:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

GT500 mufflers installed

Very sad day... rear end got way loose on a very cold morning and put me into a guard rail as I was COMPLETELY unprepared to catch the car... lesson learned.

Car fixed and trying out the new track wheels (2008 GT500 wheels)

Suspension in! Koni STR.T's with SR springs, GT500 mounts, FR jounce bumpers, and BMR panhard bar

Installation of the Street Scene aka Stillen splitter

Brake Ducting re-route (didn't post the initial brake ducting installation)

Installation of my oil catch can for some testing. I had great results with this RX can setup and ended up keeping it over the other setup I tried

Pictures in action with Enkei PF01 wheels and BFGoodrich R1 tires

One of my favorite track pictures - the massive smile on my friend's face pretty much tells the whole story of how I drive and how the car performs

Last edited by dmichaels; 12/24/14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12/16/14, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love it man. Now just add links for each mod step to your detailed individual mod threads and I'll only need one link when I research stuff.

Great car, great pics, great videos, great advice...definitely a huge credit to the community. Bravo!
Old 12/17/14, 06:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Love it man. Now just add links for each mod step to your detailed individual mod threads and I'll only need one link when I research stuff.

Great car, great pics, great videos, great advice...definitely a huge credit to the community. Bravo!
Yeah I will have to add that info up at the top. Make it easy for others to create twin, Porsche eating corner carving mustangs

Couple pictures of the Russell SS brake lines (front pics only, did all 4 corners though)

Last edited by dmichaels; 12/24/14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12/17/14, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Love the thread and the pictures.
Was your traction control off when you hit the rail? Those pics made me just a little sick.
Old 12/17/14, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 13GetThere
Love the thread and the pictures.
Was your traction control off when you hit the rail? Those pics made me just a little sick.
Yes, traction was 100% disabled... was in 4th gear, rolled on the gas and the rear whipped out and caught me off guard. Very unfortunate, but you can guess what I'll never, ever do again!
Old 12/18/14, 06:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

APR wheel studs showed up today I've recently been reading up on how inadequate the OEM studs are for serious tracking of the car with sticky tires. These will also be nice because they are longer than OEM for easier wheel swapping. Will be installing next week and I'll post a few new pictures too

Old 12/19/14, 07:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Dmichaels, since you track your Mustang, which setting do you use with the traction control? I know there are 1 or 2 settings between full on and off.
Old 12/19/14, 10:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 13GetThere
Dmichaels, since you track your Mustang, which setting do you use with the traction control? I know there are 1 or 2 settings between full on and off.
I almost always have it fully off. I do leave it on when it's wet out though, since I'm not racing. But if I put it in "advanced track" mode, the car gets upset with some of my driving and really works the rear brakes.

On the street though, I almost exclusively run the advanced track mode (the quick double press of the TCS button). I've rarely had it kick in on the street, only when ambient temps are really low.
Old 12/19/14, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
I almost always have it fully off. I do leave it on when it's wet out though, since I'm not racing. But if I put it in "advanced track" mode, the car gets upset with some of my driving and really works the rear brakes.

On the street though, I almost exclusively run the advanced track mode (the quick double press of the TCS button). I've rarely had it kick in on the street, only when ambient temps are really low.
+1 with going to full off mode for track days. There are some tracks where you can get away with sport mode, but most of the time it will just get in your way. If you drive the car hard, and like using throttle to rotate past the apex full off is the way to go. It leaves you with ABS only which is what you really need anyway.
Old 12/24/14, 01:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ARP Wheel Studs installed:

Going in

ARP is much longer than OEM

Last edited by dmichaels; 12/24/14 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12/24/14, 03:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Project Rear Seat Delete is commencing as well - carpet on order, rear seats removed. This weekend I'll be buying some sort of plywood, and I'll be making templates for the bottom and back. Hopefully I can get everything shaped and drilled for bolts by the time the carpet arrives! Pictures to come....
Old 12/24/14, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Rear Seat Delete is commencing as well - carpet on order, rear seats removed. This weekend I'll be buying some sort of plywood, and I'll be making templates for the bottom and back. Hopefully I can get everything shaped and drilled for bolts by the time the carpet arrives! Pictures to come....
Looking forward to this one. It's something I've been pondering as well, though not as much for weight reduction at the track as it is simply that the seat is useless and would be much more comfortable for my standard poodle without them in there...and easier for her to get in and out. #mydogsaremykids (sorry)
Old 12/24/14, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Great thread man. Keep those images coming. Car looks great. You know the ladies love that Grabber blue color, that's why the wife was on board. Grabber Blue or Race Red, they love both. Good call. Nice job on the mods.

By the way I'm sure you're aware but just in case you can buy the rear seat delete kit complete.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/seat-delete-kit-05.html

Last edited by 3point7; 12/24/14 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12/24/14, 04:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Looking forward to this one. It's something I've been pondering as well, though not as much for weight reduction at the track as it is simply that the seat is useless and would be much more comfortable for my standard poodle without them in there...and easier for her to get in and out. #mydogsaremykids (sorry)
My wife would LOVE to put our two black labs into my mustang, but I am not a dog person (much to her constant disappointment) and they will NEVER step foot in the 'Stang... that's what the Jeep and the Jetta TDI Sportwagen are for

I'll definitely post some good pictures of the process as I work through this. Shouldn't be a bad project compared with the full interior carpet job I did with my friend on his '86 911 a couple months ago. I'm largely doing this to support the Watson roll bar I will be installing a bit later this winter...
Old 12/24/14, 04:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
Great thread man. Keep those images coming. Car looks great. You know the ladies love that Grabber blue color, that's why the wife was on board. Grabber Blue or Race Red, they love both. Good call. Nice job on the mods.

By the way I'm sure you're aware but just in case you can buy the rear seat delete kit complete.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/seat-delete-kit-05.html
I have gotten a lot of comments on the car color. I really do like it... appreciate the compliments too!

Yep, I am aware of the kits. I spent $26 on carpet, will spend about $15 on "structure" aka thin plywood most likely, and maybe $5 for glue... so probably will save about $100 over one of the kits. Money saved will go towards things I can't build
Old 12/24/14, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I have gotten a lot of comments on the car color. I really do like it... appreciate the compliments too!

Yep, I am aware of the kits. I spent $26 on carpet, will spend about $15 on "structure" aka thin plywood most likely, and maybe $5 for glue... so probably will save about $100 over one of the kits. Money saved will go towards things I can't build
Roger that.

Yea I have always liked the Grabber Blue color. I think its one of the best colors they ever offered on the S197 car and was disappointed when they dropped it. The plus is that it will just make your car more collectible in years to come. Mine is Race Red and lets face it, they're always going to offer red on the Mustang, lol.
Old 12/26/14, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Very nice thread, and car. You helped me decide on my suspension choice and I got to say I love how my car handles now, i did not think it would handle this good. I cant even feel the live axle anymore very impressed.

Also I was wondering how you like the brake lines, do you recommend it for a street car? I want a slightly more firm brake feel.
Old 12/27/14, 12:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Very nice thread, and car. You helped me decide on my suspension choice and I got to say I love how my car handles now, i did not think it would handle this good. I cant even feel the live axle anymore very impressed.

Also I was wondering how you like the brake lines, do you recommend it for a street car? I want a slightly more firm brake feel.
Thanks - glad you like the suspension as well. It does transform the car!

The brake lines add very little for street driving in my opinion. If you're on OEM pads, consider doing a swap to a slightly more aggressive pad that has more initial bite. It would improve brake feel more than SS lines in my opinion. But the SS lines do help a tiny bit for street driving and they are fairly cheap, plus very easy to install. Certainly not a bad thing to do.

Consider a full brake flush with high temp fluid such as Motul RBF600. It's perfectly fine for the street and I think it helps with the brake feel a bit too.
Old 12/27/14, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks - glad you like the suspension as well. It does transform the car! The brake lines add very little for street driving in my opinion. If you're on OEM pads, consider doing a swap to a slightly more aggressive pad that has more initial bite. It would improve brake feel more than SS lines in my opinion. But the SS lines do help a tiny bit for street driving and they are fairly cheap, plus very easy to install. Certainly not a bad thing to do. Consider a full brake flush with high temp fluid such as Motul RBF600. It's perfectly fine for the street and I think it helps with the brake feel a bit too.
Sounds good thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DMichaels Build Thread