Notices
Black Black 2010+ Mustangs

Streaks with almost every product or wash

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/12, 05:20 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streaks with almost every product or wash

I know I must be doing something wrong but just can't figure it out. I have used
Ultimate quik wax
Ultimate quik detailer
Quik detailer
Gold class wash then dry
Ultimate Wash and wax then dry
Optimum no rinse wash
Nxt 2.0 wax

All of these products minus one leave a streaky haze on the car that can be seen when in direct sunlight. Some worse than others. All products are put on in the early morning in a garage Before the AZ sun gets a chance to do its thing. All are used properly and wiped off long before it has any chance to dry.

Nxt2.0 is the only product that leaves a perfect shine but using it every week is a hassle. When drying after the wash I have used different types of top quality microfiber as well as the HD guzzler towels.

I just bought the onr hoping this would finally be the answer but when I pulled the car in the sun you could see where I used the pat method which left a hazy towel design and where I did the no pressure towel drag that left streaky haze.

On the onr I do wonder if adding more product to the water will help, 2 ounce per 2 gallons instead of 1 like it says. If I can just get this product to work I would be happy.

I did the clay bar last month, no help.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Ghost.223; 7/26/12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 7/26/12, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had some streaking issues with the Meguiars 'Ultimate' and 'Quik' products. None with the Tech wax... but you have to make sure you wipe to the same level of 'dry'. Sometimes the streaks are quite obvious as you go and you can wipe some more and they go away.
Old 7/27/12, 09:54 AM

Black is a very difficult color to not show streeks. Wow, big news here. Anyhow, can't help with the cleaner, but you might try using a small electric leaf blower instead of wiping with a cloth or whatever you use. I've done this for years.
Old 7/27/12, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I blow mine, too. If the leaf blower dies, I'll get another one just for the cars. Can't stand seeing drips from behind the trim moldings 4 hours later.
Old 7/27/12, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

I have had many black cars and always had some issues with streaking when I waxed them, but for some reason it seems worse with my Mustang...not sure why....
Old 7/27/12, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Been using Meguiars products for years with the NTX 2.0 being my wax of choice for the last year or two. Recently I picked up a bottle of Mother's Reflections and gave it a try. Let's just say the NTX 2.0 has since been retired. I am sold on Mother's. Went on easy, came off even easier. Supposedly it lasts longer too but time will tell.
Old 7/27/12, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

The biggest problem I see from taking care of any car is the when mixed matched products are used. Pic a company like Mothers or Meguiars and use the item for the issue and not to use one with the other if you get my meaning. Since most or not all companies products are meant to be used in conjunction with each other. So I would not use a Mothers wax and the Meguiars Instant detailer. I have seen the issues you speak of from doing just this.
Old 7/27/12, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ghost.223
I know I must be doing something wrong but just can't figure it out. I have used
Ultimate quik wax
Ultimate quik detailer
Quik detailer
Gold class wash then dry
Ultimate Wash and wax then dry
Optimum no rinse wash
Nxt 2.0 wax

All of these products minus one leave a streaky haze on the car that can be seen when in direct sunlight. Some worse than others. All products are put on in the early morning in a garage Before the AZ sun gets a chance to do its thing. All are used properly and wiped off long before it has any chance to dry.

Nxt2.0 is the only product that leaves a perfect shine but using it every week is a hassle. When drying after the wash I have used different types of top quality microfiber as well as the HD guzzler towels.

I just bought the onr hoping this would finally be the answer but when I pulled the car in the sun you could see where I used the pat method which left a hazy towel design and where I did the no pressure towel drag that left streaky haze.

On the onr I do wonder if adding more product to the water will help, 2 ounce per 2 gallons instead of 1 like it says. If I can just get this product to work I would be happy.

I did the clay bar last month, no help.

Any thoughts?
Sound like you have a swirl mark problem, for which none of the products mentioned above will help.

Might wanna do the following process and see if it helps (always avoid direct sun on the surfaces):

1. Wash the car with your choice of shampoo, I use Ultimate Wash and Wax

2. Clean the surface with a clay bar kit, until it feels like glass (smooth)

3. Here is the step that might help, take out the swirls marks using either Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or something less aggressive like Meguiar's SwirlX Remover.

4. When finished use something like Meguiar's Ultimate Polish to bring out a deep glossy shine

5. Follow up with a good coat of wax, black coloured cars will do best using Merguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Wax or you can stick with the Ultimate Line and use their Ultimate Wax (which will never turn white even of applied over the plastic trim)

6. Finish up by giving a light coat of Ultimate Quick Wax (best product Meguiar's has come up with in my opinion)

Takes me about 4 to 6 hours to complete this process but it really is worth it here are some pics of the results of this process:

Last edited by CR_Stang; 7/27/12 at 01:54 PM.
Old 7/28/12, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
I had some streaking issues with the Meguiars 'Ultimate' and 'Quik' products. None with the Tech wax... but you have to make sure you wipe to the same level of 'dry'. Sometimes the streaks are quite obvious as you go and you can wipe some more and they go away.
I will try a buffing type wipe after the drying wipe next time I wash and see how that does.

Had a blower for years with a silver car but with black it's instant water spots so I no longer use it. Course all these products worked perfect with silver as well.

If I really have to I could finish with a coat of nxt or reflections as mentioned above but I hope just a little buffing after drying takes care of it.

Car is 2 months old, gotta figure it out

Last edited by Ghost.223; 7/28/12 at 12:30 PM.
Old 7/29/12, 01:26 PM

I have been using Turtle Wax Ice POLISH for years. Hi gloss shine and if it streaks, just use a damp rag and rebuff. You can go over the black areas and no issue.
Old 7/29/12, 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

This weekend I used the Show Car glaze (7) followed by the Tech wax. Noticeable difference.
Old 7/29/12, 04:21 PM
GT Member

Just to make sure you guys are using these polish and waxes every wash right?
Old 7/30/12, 09:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ghost.223
Just to make sure you guys are using these polish and waxes every wash right?
I do all the steps I described once a month. I do wash the car every week but I only use the Ultimate Quick Wax after the wash.

During weekdays I might use, Ultimate Quick Detailer to keep the dust off and if it gets too dirty before the weekend I will use the Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere (dry car wash) and that will keep the hydrophobic layer in optimum condition

Remember if the polish and waxing is done right, it should only need maintenance for the next four to six weeks
Old 7/30/12, 09:22 AM
GT Member

I also keep these in hand, hopefully I will never have to use them

http://youtu.be/x3SAgJGfnM0

they are from www.automotivetouchup.com, you just look for the color code of your car
Old 7/31/12, 05:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Always use sheepskin mits as well. One for the paint only and one for just you wheels. Never use the MIT that washes your wheels on the body. Use two buckets to wash, one for soap and one with just water to the rinse the mit after you wash a section.
This will reduce the amount of surface scratching and swirl marks. Wash it in the shade. Use quality soap, polish, wax, and blackbox. Oh yeah, and detail the trim first with armor all. The polish won't stick as much if you accidently get it on the moist rubber/plastic trim.
Old 7/31/12, 09:52 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wash with Mothers Gold wash, using a foam gun and quality sheepskin mitt (that ONLY washes the black painted surfaces !), and flood rinse with separate hose nozzle. Each hose has a filter screen in it to help reduce grit. I dry with a high quality heavy microfiber that gets flushed with clean water often. All this is done in the shade.

Back in the garage I blow the water out of the gaps with compressed air unitl no more is present. Dry with clean microfiber. Wait and hour (maybe), and apply Meguiars Ultimate quik wax. This removes any streaks from drying and deepens the black color just a bit, also adding a layer of protectant.

I was getting "hazing" of my waxes until someone gave me the tip to use them very sparingly. That is the clue. A little goes a long way.

As a baseline, the car is washed, clay barred, then Blackfire Wet Diamond is applied. This is done maybe every six months. I don't have any steaks unless the wax is too heavy. Go light - very light.
Old 8/1/12, 10:57 AM
Cobra Member

Used Jax Wax Liquid Wax for the first time over the weekend and it is the first wax I have used on the black Mustang that did not streak, plus goes on real easy and comes off just as easy without leaving residue. According to their web site you can even use it in the sun, wax the whole car at one time and it will not streak and will still come off easy. Might not last as long as others, but i actually like waxing my car so thats no big deal. Car looked great after I got done and when I pulled it out into the sun, no streaks like I have been getting.
Old 8/2/12, 11:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Its black, so you're gonna have to Invest in some non over the counter waxes and shampoos. You will see the difference immediately. I use Blackfire wet Diamond as a last step product and it shines amazing an no streaking. Also it goes on and comes off super easy, even if it sits on for a while.

Also get yourself a good shampoo and quality microfibers

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 8/2/12 at 11:06 PM.
Old 8/3/12, 05:18 PM
GT Member

Okay did the extra buff after drying and it shined up real nice. Nice to know I won't have to wax every wash to get a nice shine.
Old 8/27/12, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I use Turtle Wax Black Box kit on my 88 GT. The paint is >20 years old but you'd never know it by looking at the car! I don't typically use the detailer mist after the wax. It tends to leave streaks if you use too much. It works best if you spray a small amount on a microfibre towel and then wipe the car. I wouldn't spray it on the car & then wipe; too easy to use too much and have it dry or streak.

For drying, use a chamois. I use a synthetic one: the Absorber. It works better than any other I've tried.

I use a california car duster to keep the dust off.

Quick Reply: Streaks with almost every product or wash