Notices
Black Black 2010+ Mustangs

Factory paint issues???

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/11, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory paint issues???

Being the new owner of a blk 5.0 I have discovered on many panels of the car, inside door jams and under hood that the paint did not cover as should of

Has anyone else had similar with there new 11'??
Old 2/8/11, 01:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
hmmmmm can you post a few pics of the issue?
Old 2/8/11, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
hmmmmm can you post a few pics of the issue?

+ 1 on the pics. I have no issues with the paint thus far.

I would take it to the ford dealer if it is that bad.
Old 2/8/11, 01:45 PM

Everything but the mirrors and bumpers has some kind of paint issue. The hood, fenders etc if you look really close with a light looks like the base coat didn't cover thick and the paint gun seemed to be "spitting". The dealer has already said they would paint the door jam, tho I later on discovered the other issues once there was a sunny day. Really don't want to have a brand new car repainted!!
Attached Images    
Old 2/10/11, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am extremely picky with paint and I see everything, and I see what you mean. The engine bay though, I doubt your going to get much resolution on it as I have not come across many car manufacturers that worry about the paint quality behind the panels and inside the engine compartment. The inside of my 07's engine area is very thinly painted as is inside the gas door and trunk interior. Anything on the door interiors or any external visible areas I would make them repaint. Naturally better pics would help us see the issues as it took me a while to see what you were talking about. I honestly don't think you will have any problem getting these addressed though, as they seem pretty obvious to me.

IMO you only have one option, let them repaint the car. I would not settle for less, I know you said you don't like the idea of it and I agree it should not have passed Ford QC like this but getting another car (the only other outcome I see) will be tough.

Last edited by vistablue mustang; 2/10/11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 2/16/11, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by vistablue mustang
I am extremely picky with paint and I see everything, and I see what you mean. The engine bay though, I doubt your going to get much resolution on it as I have not come across many car manufacturers that worry about the paint quality behind the panels and inside the engine compartment. The inside of my 07's engine area is very thinly painted as is inside the gas door and trunk interior. Anything on the door interiors or any external visible areas I would make them repaint. Naturally better pics would help us see the issues as it took me a while to see what you were talking about. I honestly don't think you will have any problem getting these addressed though, as they seem pretty obvious to me.

IMO you only have one option, let them repaint the car. I would not settle for less, I know you said you don't like the idea of it and I agree it should not have passed Ford QC like this but getting another car (the only other outcome I see) will be tough.
This.

There are two spots on my car that have thin coverage, both under the hood. Unless there is cracking or pitting which might cause future paint degradation into visible areas of the vehicle, I doubt you will get Ford to cover any of it.

Pretty much every car I've ever owned has exhibited some of this. Even my former Corvette Z06 had extremely thin paint under the hood. For 80,000 you'd think there would be more attention there.

I would say overall the paint quality on my 11 is very good though.
Old 2/16/11, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 2010 has what appears to be thin areas in both door jam areas. Looks cloudy. I try to not look at it.