Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Toyota's a coming . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/05, 02:31 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
From foxsports.com . .

Rumblings in the garage have Toyota testing the Busch Series waters next season before jumping to Cup in 2007, the first year all teams could be running NASCAR's new engines. Those engines will be constructed on common platforms but still will maintain manufacturer identities. Toyota's possible entry into the Busch Series also might accelerate the learning curve for Honda, which could be racing in the truck series as early as 2006. The Big Three U.S. automakers have expressed concern that if Toyota and Honda are given the specifications of this new engine now, the Nextel Cup Series soon could resemble the IndyCar series, meaning Detroit would be severely outspent and unable to compete. ...
That's fine . . I have no real problem with any of the above. EXCEPT . . ."Those engines will be constructed on common platforms but still will maintain manufacturer identities. " :notnice:

So now we'll have common body templates AND common engine. I knew this was coming in some form or another. It has been rumored for well over a year. I guess I keep hoping that it won’t come to fruition.

Say what you want to about the ‘Rolex’ Grand-Am series, but that cool thing is that they are 6 different engine manufactures (Lexus, Pontiac, Ford, BMW, Infiniti, and Porsche), and each is based on production engines in some form. Why not take these engines and use them in NASCAR?!

NASCAR has all but pushed the “car” fan out of the sport.
Old 2/7/05, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What platform is Toyota going to use for NASCAR? Camry? Solara? Avalon? I know they race the Tundra's in the truck series.
Old 2/7/05, 06:04 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I assume (and from other articles I've read) that it will be the Camry.
Old 2/8/05, 06:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

and it would look like poo compared to other cars.....not to mention the Magnum that's is running this year in the cup is just fugly
Old 2/8/05, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think the current Camry SE is a bad looking sedan, though I think the Solara would make for a better looking racing body.

Oh well, the new Charger is the king of fugly
Old 2/9/05, 10:16 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<_<