Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Stupid, Stupid NASCAR . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/06, 07:21 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Stupid, Stupid NASCAR . . . .

So . . . let's change the Busch Series Cars to Mustangs, Camaros, & Chellengers . . . . BUT use V6 engines?!?!?! (I'm not opposed to V6, heck they used to run V6's, but why in the hell would they use REAL RWD cars and a V6 combo and FWD V8 in Cup. Dumb, dumb, dumb . . . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...rry&id=2686104
Old 12/5/06, 08:15 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe it really is that complicated, or maybe its too early for me, but that doesn't seem to make any sense.

Although..... Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers? That might be fun. Maybe' we'll see some Dtech 35 action in the Mustang (or would they stick to the Cologne... that will be interesting to see)
Old 12/7/06, 10:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
They need to do something because the the whole thing just plain sucks!!!!!!
Old 12/7/06, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry because the Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers will look 99% the same except for the stickers saying make and model. The whole car of tomorrow and making the cars 100% the same has gone way too far.. let's just quit fooling ourselves, rename NASCAR to IROC and call it a day!
Old 12/8/06, 08:08 AM

Thats just about right! Take all the stickers off and they all look the same and now with Toyota in the mix..Well NASCAR got what they wanted...MONEY!! Its a shame thats its come to this.
Old 12/8/06, 08:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

NASCAR was cool, once. Now the only thing seperating it from quasi sporting events like pro wrestling is that they still actually bother to make the guys in NASCAR actually compete to win. Why bother?

Why stop with mere total disregard for the shape, layout, or drivetrain of the car represented in the races? We know from wrestling that it doesn't actually have to be "real" to attract viewers, especially not a goodly portion of the people who watch NASCAR anyway. The powers that be would likely do just as well to simply stage the races telling people on what lap to crash, when to lead, when to pit, and wether or not to win at this point. Heck, it's so much like wrestling on asphalt by this point that I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody jump off the retaining wall and hit a car with a chair.

On a more serious note. This sounds to me like NASCAR trying to cash in othe fact that a rather large portion of the great Tran Am cars of yore are going to see a modern day production revival by the end of the decade. I understand the attraction for the France's, but unfortunately for the enthusiasts of the world this series, and the cars within them, would likely resemble the classic Trans Am series so revered by the fiathful in much the same way Mickey Mouse resembles a real mouse.

But of course, a real Trans Am revival utilizing production based cars with production based drivelines would be too much to ask I suppose. No doubt, it's nothing that the France's would ever be likely to aspire to.
Old 12/8/06, 08:19 AM

You are so right, just thyink how many times the Caution flag comes out for what??? It just seems that the commentators know when this stuff is going to happen!! Like Talladega and Daytona waiting for the "Big One!!"

The Trans Am series would be cool to see again, like it once was!!
Old 12/8/06, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the cars have to use similar templates for it to be competitive. I want close racing, not watching someone win by 10 laps or more.
Old 12/8/06, 01:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by neil07gt
the cars have to use similar templates for it to be competitive. I want close racing, not watching someone win by 10 laps or more.
My problem with this is that good racing has existed since long before they emplyed the cookie-cutter method NASCAR uses now. And IMO, NASCAR racing isn't very good, especillay not when viewed in terms of what the age of parity was supposed to bring.

I see amazingly good racing where these goofy ideas of parity aren't involved all the time. WRC, classic Trans Am, classic NASCAR, Grand Am Cup, SCCA runoffs...the list goes on. Nah, the whole parity thing has far more to do with trying to keep costs down, with little success I might add, than anthing else.
Old 12/8/06, 09:26 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt
If the cars are all the same, parent companies don't really have to engineer a performance car at all do they? Wheres the sport in that?

Racing shouldn't just be a competition of drivers, but also of builders and engineers. A good driver is only 1/2 the equation when it comes to good racing. Good cars are just as important. With different cars people can see the positives and negatives of each one and Automakers will actually have to put money and effort into BUILDING better vehicles. If these vehicles are production based than any advancements made for the sake of racing would trickle down to consumer vehicles would they not?

I personally don't see how a V8 RWD Monte Carlo with a cookie cutter body that happens to win a race translates into making the real FWD Monte Carlo any better of a buy. Plus if said MC wins a race, can you really brag about the performance of the Monte Carlo? Uhhh no.

If all the cars were actually cars that started as BIWs or whatever from whatever company the race team is aligned with racing would be way cooler. God I wish I had SPEED so I could watch Grand Am races