Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Restrictor Plate Racing

Old 5/2/05, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Sorry people, frustration mounting, rant coming.

Is it me or are the restrictor plate races more boring than ever? I fail to see the excitement in watching my driver bust his butt to stay up front all day, only to get out of line one time and get caught in a 25 car wreck. It's stupid and I refuse to watch another restrictor plate race. I was not even really watchin yesterday but would just generally glance over while cleaning the garage. I started really paying attention right before the big one when DW started talking about the volcano erupting. All I can say is these races are BS, the drivers don't like them, the fan that wants to see actual racing does'nt like them. The only people I know that like them are the casual fans that don't really know whats going on anyway. I wish NASCAR would either change the motor, by that I mean make them smaller for super speedways or remove the plate. I don't think removing the plate is a good idea because they would be just two fast as proven by Rusty Wallace last summer(http://www.rustywallace.com/schedule..._03_news1.html). So what should NASCAR do? Remove these races from the schedule and replace with different tracks (Please no more 1.5 mile tracks)? How about NASCAR going back to it's roots by adding a couple of half mile dirt tracks?

OK rant over...

PS: For those of you that do not know but and don't want to surf the Rusty page he posted a lap last June at 228 without the plate and said they could probably get to 235 with a testing session or two.

Book
Old 5/7/05, 06:53 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I agree. The racing at Atlanta and Darlington is (at least for me) much more enjoyable than watching the 'Plate' races.
Old 5/7/05, 07:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I agree, I'm looking forward to Darlington this week and then I get to be in Richmond next weekend for that race. Can't wait.
Old 5/7/05, 09:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes I am going to Dover in June, I love that place I go every year. I might get to puul a double again this year and hit Richmond, I did both last year and had a blast.
Old 5/7/05, 10:48 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess the only problem is that everyone (well most people) recognize there is a problem with restrictor plate racing but no one can come up with a solution.

My thought, like your idea, is to race V-6 engines at the current restrictor plate races. The draw back is that the engine development cost would sky rocket; unless, all races were required to use V-6 engines.

I love V-8s but maybe its time NASCAR switched to V-6s. Just my uneducated opinion.
Old 5/9/05, 05:15 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by AFBLUE@May 7, 2005, 12:51 PM
I guess the only problem is that everyone (well most people) recognize there is a problem with restrictor plate racing but no one can come up with a solution.

My thought, like your idea, is to race V-6 engines at the current restrictor plate races. The draw back is that the engine development cost would sky rocket; unless, all races were required to use V-6 engines.

I love V-8s but maybe its time NASCAR switched to V-6s. Just my uneducated opinion.
Wonder how many old Busch Series V6 blocks are still lying around?!
Old 5/9/05, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I oersonaly am a fan of the .5 mile tracks like bristol since I love to seem them beaten and banging (like they said in Day's of thunder "Rubbin's racin'.") I personaly just think they should just get rid of the stricker plates and make them run a smaller carb on the plate races. As for the 1.5 mile tracks get rid of them. Nothing is better than a half mile showdown.
Old 5/12/05, 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

They don't want to take Daytona off the schedule... it's the 'Super Bowl' of Cup racing.

The answer is simple. Level the banked turns in all 4 corners so the drivers would have to lift when entering a turn. Then the car with the superior setup would be able to strut their stuff while the entire field could be 'plate free'... I'd say 12-14 degrees of banking ought to do it.

Pup (From eveyone's favorite NASCAR fantasy league, PitPup.Com...)
P.S. Beware of shameless, self-promotion!
Old 5/13/05, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats not a bad idea.
Old 5/17/05, 07:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personnally I find NASCAR boring for the most part, way too many ovals on the schedule. More road courses would make it more interesting.
Old 8/6/05, 09:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone here ever been to an old Busch v-6 race?? It's HORRIBLE on the ears. Sounds just like a herd of GIANT MOSQUITOS buzzin around for a looooong time.

I cheered when the v-6s were gone, and feel the same now. We use rev limiters on todays passenger cars. Why not just put rev limiters on the regular 8s and let em lose??

The Ford engines don't run well with the plates on em. If you take notice, almost EVERY SINGLE plate race is won by Chevy. Their engine is just more efficient and can generate more power with the smaller flow. The DEI engines are especially good for whatever reason. I always wondered if there was some cheating going on there cause of the way they can just walk everyone else on the plate tracks. Just seems kind of strange to me.