Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Report: Ford evaluating Focus ST for World Touring Car Championship

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/11, 05:57 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Report: Ford evaluating Focus ST for World Touring Car Championship

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/29/f...-championship/

According to Autosport, Dearborn is considering sending the Focus ST touring car up to the World Touring Car Championship. To that end, they've reportedly retained the services of the same Arena Motorsport that fields the car in the BTCC and which has, in its considerable history, run teams in A1GP, Formula Three, Le Mans and even Fomula One – scoring a podium finish under the Onyx Grand Prix banner with Stefan Johansson behind the wheel and Ford power under the hood at the 1989 Portuguese Grand Prix, just behind Gerhard Berger and Alain Prost.

The last time Ford competed in the WTCC was in 2005. But while the World Championship may not currently race in America, don't think that American automakers aren't interested in the series. The Chevrolet Cruze currently dominates the standings its factory drivers Robert Huff, Alain Menu and defending champion Yvan Muller currently holding the top three slots in the standings. Ford, it would seem, is eager to take a slice of that particular pie.
Old 6/30/11, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this Focus ST a lot better than the "Focus" that's being run in Nascar.

It is pretty surprising to me that a Chevy Cruze is at the top of the WTC boards, but I've watched a few of the races and they are doing very well!
Old 6/30/11, 02:02 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin38
I like this Focus ST a lot better than the "Focus" that's being run in Nascar.

It is pretty surprising to me that a Chevy Cruze is at the top of the WTC boards, but I've watched a few of the races and they are doing very well!
Chevy has a big, well-funded WTCC team and has had a couple years to make their Cruze into a killer. Would likely take Ford a season to reach parity even with a big effort.
Old 7/1/11, 01:54 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, Chevy's success in WTCC didn't come as much of a surprise to me, considering the fact that Seat reduced their WTCC budget and Chevy was able to get Muller. Chevy is running WTCC with no competition.