Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Pontiac takes 1-2-3 Win at Rolex 24

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/05, 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(This is a repost from GMinsidenews originally posted by Ming)

Sunday, February 6, 2005
SunTrust Racing victorious in Rolex 24

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The No. 10 SunTrust Racing Pontiac Riley survived the competitive twice-around-the-clock challenges in history to capture the 43rd anniversary of the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Sunday at historic Daytona International Speedway.

The No. 10 SunTrust Pontiac Riley, driven by Wayne Taylor, Max Angelelli and Emmanuel Collard, were swapping the lead with the No. 20 CITGO Howard Boss Motorsports Pontiac Crawford in the final hours off the season-opening Rolex Sports Car Series race.

With about two hours remaining, the No. 20 car, driven by Tony Stewart, Jan Lammers and Andy Wallace, were put behind the pit wall with transmission problems. After about 20 minutes of repairs, the team was able to return to the track in the fourth position, 14 laps behind the leader.

But there was no catching the No. 10 SunTrust Racing team, which Taylor is the car owner and resides in nearby Altamonte Springs, Fla.

The SunTrust Racing victory was the second straight victory in the Rolex 24 for a Pontiac-powered car and the first overall Rolex 24 victory for Riley Daytona Prototype chassis.

Finishing in the overall second position was the No. 4 Howard-Boss Motorsports Pontiac Crawford with drivers Butch Leitzinger, Elliott Forebes-Robinson and Jimmie Johnson. Rounding out the podium was the No. 20 Howard-Boss Motorsports Pontiac Crawford of stewart, Lammers and Wallace.

"We're going to keep doing it until we win it," Wallace said.

FULL Article Here: http://www.whowon.com/sResults.asp?Sanctio...&StoryID=142758

Old 2/6/05, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm not really sure how much "Pontiac" there is in those cars. The chassis aren't Pontiac and the engines are really Chevy SBs. About the only thing Pontiac is name on the side.
Old 2/6/05, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Ah who cares? The LS series is used in Pontiac, Chevy, and Cadillac. What's the big deal if the put a Pontaic name on it? That Rolex Pontiac sure is beautiful though and it sounds nice as heck with that LS motor in it.
Old 2/6/05, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the Crawford looks pretty good, but the Riley is a little homely. I was hoping for better results for Paul Newman's car. This was very likely his last professional race.
Old 2/6/05, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah Ford didn't do so well in the Prototype class. Maybe next year.
Old 2/7/05, 01:13 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I think the Dyson Ford would of had a better showing if it didn't get rammed into on the 1st caution. I wonder if the "Cammer" engines are a little underpowered, or the chassis of the Multimatics just aren't up to speed.