Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

McMurray out at Roush at end of 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/08, 09:50 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McMurray out at Roush at end of 2008?

McMurray out at Roush at end of 2008? #26-Jamie McMurray will be driving for another team next year, according to one report Sunday citing unidentified sources. McMurray finished 10th Sunday.(Hamptonroads.com), hearing Crown Royal could stay with Roush Fenway Racing, teaming up with Greh Biffle [who is expected to re-sign with Roush] in 2009. No word if Roush Fenway Racing would field a fifth team in 2009 or drop down to the mandated max of four Cup teams, which will go in effect for the 2010 season.(6-2-2008)
Can't say I'm surprised.
Old 6/2/08, 01:27 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Yeah, it doesn't look too good for him. Especially with Kvapil 105pts ahead of him and Gilliland only 19pts behind.
Old 6/2/08, 01:41 PM
Cobra R Member

I was actually thinking about that Sunday. Seeing how bad he's run this year, I don't see him sticking around when they have to cut down to 4. I guess they might make the move early. McMurray had a lot to live up to at Roush. He was really the only driver they've brought in from the outside. All the rest of his stable has been developed at Roush. McMurray simply hasn't been what everyone expected him to be after he ran so well filling in for Sterling Marlin his first year.
Old 6/2/08, 01:52 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

He started pretty good last year.

But only 1 win in 3 years with Roush ... Sometimes I really miss Kurt Busch in that #97/#26 Ford. He's been struggling with a Dodge.
Old 6/2/08, 02:16 PM
Cobra R Member

I miss the 97 in general. Panske as a whole has been struggling. although they are getting a lot faster over the past couple weeks. hopefully long pond will treat kurt right.

Mcmurray, i dont know if its totally him. I mean when he is strong, he is right up there. and look at biffle for a couple years he was in a really tough situation just now starting to come back to his own.
Old 6/2/08, 02:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Biffle had some great years with Roush. He was a champion in both Craftsman and Nationwide series and back in 2005 finished 2nd in Sprint series. And for the past few season he won at least 1 race each season.
Old 6/3/08, 10:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Sometimes I really miss Kurt Busch in that #97/#26 Ford.
I miss Chad Little in the 97 John Deere.
Old 6/3/08, 12:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I miss Jeff Burton in the Exide Batteries car...
Old 6/3/08, 01:14 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by codeman94
I miss Jeff Burton in the Exide Batteries car...
I would rather have Carl Edwards in that #99.
Old 6/3/08, 07:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, it was time for Jeff Burton to leave. He and Roush both needed the change. Carl Edwards is one of the most talent guys on the circuit now.
Old 6/6/08, 03:50 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

McMurray denies reports of leaving Roush: Jamie McMurray, driver of the #26 Crown Royal/IRWIN Tools Ford Fusion, will make his 200th career Sprint Cup start this weekend at Pocono. McMurray met with reporters this morning, and quickly dismissed a report from earlier this week that said he was leaving Roush Fenway Racing at the end of the year.
WHAT ARE YOU DOING NEXT YEAR?
McMURRAY "The same thing that I'm doing this year: the Crown Royal, #26, with Roush Fenway."
WHY DO YOU THINK [REPORTER] THINKS OTHERWISE?
"I don't know. I'm not a speculator."
THERE IS PLENTY OF SILLY SEASON SPECULATION GOING ON. ARE YOU PUTTING OUT ANY FEELERS?
"No, I have not."
HAVE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES?
"Not that I am aware of."
HAVE OTHER TEAMS INQUIRED ABOUT YOU?
"Not that I'm aware of. It's hard to answer questions because anything I answer will lead to the next question, and there's not really anything to talk about. I don't know where he got his story, and so it's certainly drawn attention to something that - it's, I don't know how you can say it, it's like whenever there's not anything to talk about, and you tell the truth, you feel like you need to add to the story so you can make people believe you. But, there's not anything to talk about."
DO YOU WANT TO BE THERE NEXT YEAR? "Yes."
DO YOU WORRY ABOUT IT? "No."
ARE YOU HAPPY?
"Yes. Certainly, we want to run better. I'm at an incredible organization, and we have all the cars and people that are capable of running to win every weekend. So, the move from Ganassi to here I really hoped was going to be able to put me in the chase every year, and that we'd contend to win races on a regular basis, and our performance hasn't been as good what's expected - whether it's from me, the race team or the sponsor. So, you want to continue to get better, and the car of tomorrow has brought some new challenges. The first four or five races we didn't run bad, but we just seemed to have bad luck or freaky things would happen to us, and it just put us in a really bad position. But the last four or five weeks have been pretty good, and you just try to continue and build on that. The thing about racing is that if you run well for four weeks everything's great, and if you run bad for two it seems like you need to go find somewhere else to drive, they say. Everything is fine here. I don't really know what the basis of his story was."
HAVE YOU TALKED TO JACK ROUSH OR GEOFF SMITH ABOUT IT?
"Well, when all of it came up, we just all talked and I never asked to get out of my contract and they never said that they were going to release me from my contract. There was never any discussion of any of that. So, we just were all trying to figure out where it came from." (Ford Racing PR)(6-6-2008)
Old 6/6/08, 03:59 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like McMurray. Wish he had better sucess than he has so far.
Old 7/25/08, 02:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

McMurray to RCR? hearing that Jamie McMurray, currently the driver of the #26 Crown Royal/Irwin Tools Ford for Roush Fenway Racing, will be the driver of Richard Childress Racing's 4th team, to be sponsored by General Mills and supposedly will be the #33 Chevy. No word if Roush will run the fifth team in 2009 or drop down to four teams a year early. RFR will need to drop to four teams after the 2009 season.(7-25-2008)
Old 7/25/08, 02:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
McMurry the next Skoal Bandit?
Old 7/25/08, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=kh765;5577459]I was actually thinking about that Sunday. Seeing how bad he's run this year, I don't see him sticking around when they have to cut down to 4.

Rumor has it Roush Fenway will drop to 4 teams however they will also take over Woods Brothers and move someone over there. That move has already started with the removal of Stradder. They want, with Fords help, to revamp that team.
Old 7/25/08, 02:51 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Roush have to drop to 4 teams by the end of the next season, those are NASCAR rules.

But I always though that that team will go to Yates since Yates wants to open another team.
Old 7/26/08, 08:31 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

UPDATE: On Friday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, owner Jack Roush was quick to defend his driver, Jamie McMurray -- right after he said he would not allow any of McMurray's four Roush Fenway Racing teammates to be pilfered from his team -- while pointedly omitting McMurray. "Jamie is important to me," Roush said. "But today, Jamie is not the driver that's been productive, to the extent that the other four are. I look forward to, and certainly expect, great things from Jamie, but the productivity has not been there at this point." McMurray, whose current contract runs through the end of 2009 and who last won in the 2007 Pepsi 400 at Daytona -- 37 races ago -- is 22nd in the standings, with only three top-10 finishes this season in the #26 Ford.(NASCAR.com)(7-26-2008)
UPDATE 2: [Tony] Stewart said that Ryan Newman is just one of three drivers on his short list [for the 2nd team, the #4 Chevy]. Presumably, Martin Truex Jr. and Jamie McMurray are the other two. And Stewart is battling car owners Joe Gibbs and Richard Childress, who are both also looking for drivers. McMurray's future with car owner Jack Roush has been up for debate the past several weeks, and the speculation has become intense that Roush would be releasing McMurray. But apparently sponsor Crown Royal is pushing Roush to keep McMurray in the fold, and as tough as good sponsors are to find, that could well end that whole debate. McMurray has been mentioned as being on Childress' short list for his new fourth team. But Childress now appears to be back in the market trying to sign Truex. A Childress-Truex deal was in the works earlier this year, until Teresa Earnhardt, who owns DEI, said she would hold Truex to the option year on his current DEI contract for 2009.(Winston Salem Journal)(7-26-2008)
Old 7/26/08, 12:00 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

UPDTE 3: Jamie McMurray squelched reports on Saturday that he may be on his way out at Roush Fenway Racing. "If you guys want to print the truth, the truth is I'll be there with Crown Royal [as a sponsor]," McMurray said after his qualifying lap at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. "It's 100 percent." McMurray's name had been connected with the fourth car at Richard Childress Racing. Sources close to the situation said RCR made a run at him, but couldn't get him out of the final year of his contract at Roush. "Richard is looking for a driver and I'm somewhat flattered to have my name on the list that another owner would want you," McMurray said. "But I will be in this car and not at Richard Childress Racing."(ESPN.com)(7-26-2008)