Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Look for Mustang in Cup series in 2013

Old 1/29/11, 05:56 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Look for Mustang in Cup series in 2013

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...series-in-2013

Although Jamie Allison, Ford’s director of motorsports, stopped short of saying the Mustang will replace the Fusion as the automaker’s entry in NASCAR’s Sprint Cup Series in 2013, it’s abundantly clear Ford is leaning heavily in that direction.

Not a fan of this move if true . . .

I think it (has the potential) will dilute the 'Mustang' brand/image, etc . . .

Old 1/30/11, 08:58 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't worry Jason..it's not even a mustang it's a generic body with mustang stickers. No one will even notice or care.
Old 1/30/11, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Indeed, how many Fusion, Camrys, Avengers, or Impalas sell extra because they're in Cup?

/Answer=0
//Won't matter.
///Probably still won't watch it either way.
Old 2/4/11, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a die hard race fan, I think its a great idea, as long as it looks like a stang. The current cup cars all look the same, and have no personality.
Old 2/4/11, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YSUsteven
As a die hard race fan, I think its a great idea, as long as it looks like a stang. The current cup cars all look the same, and have no personality.
They all look the same because they are all the same.

They should just call it "Spec Nascar" and quit trying to fool anyone. That's why I watch World Challenge and CTSCC these days. That's Racing!!
Old 2/5/11, 12:39 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by houtex
Indeed, how many Fusion, Camrys, Avengers, or Impalas sell extra because they're in Cup?

/Answer=0
//Won't matter.
///Probably still won't watch it either way.
How many Renaults were sold last year because they won F1 championship?
How many Citroens were sold last year because they won WRC championships?
How many Audis were sold last year because they won LeMans?
How many Hondas were sold last year because they won Indy championship?

Answer = none.
Racing and sales aren't really connected anymore. It's not just with NASCAR, it's pretty much with any type of racing.
Old 2/6/11, 11:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
How many Renaults were sold last year because they won F1 championship?
How many Citroens were sold last year because they won WRC championships?
How many Audis were sold last year because they won LeMans?
How many Hondas were sold last year because they won Indy championship?

Answer = none.
Racing and sales aren't really connected anymore. It's not just with NASCAR, it's pretty much with any type of racing.
Well, that is true, but *specific* models aren't cited, so your argument is slighly not complete: In F1, WRC, LeMans, and Indy and NASCAR, those are manufacturers working on technologies that can help cars that they sell, such as variable valve timing, engine management computers, traction control, cooling, endurance, crash protection, etc.

In these cases, it may *very well be* that there are more of whatever car sold because of the technologies that were pioneered and/or perfected in racing.

But that doesn't mean a few extra Audi A5s or Honda Pilots or Toyota Camrys were sold specifically because they're in a race, like NASCAR, or NHRA.
Old 2/7/11, 03:37 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
In F1, WRC, LeMans, and Indy and NASCAR, those are manufacturers working on technologies that can help cars that they sell, such as variable valve timing, engine management computers, traction control, cooling, endurance, crash protection, etc.
So what "technologies" are the manufacturers working on in NASCAR? Better carburetors?
Old 2/7/11, 08:44 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
So what "technologies" are the manufacturers working on in NASCAR? Better carburetors?
I'm waiting to see a 4 barrel show up on one of hte new 5.0's.

Old 2/7/11, 09:55 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
everyday restrictor plates
Old 2/7/11, 08:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Not long for carbs, methinks:
http://www.nascar.com/news/110121/fu...der/index.html

While they delayed the FI to 2012, looks like they're gonna get that soon.

I dunno how they're gonna prevent non-detuning of the car for 'restrictor' races, but I'm sure they'll cross that bridge.
Old 2/9/11, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

This is great! I'm not sure if anyone saw the Challenger that's going to be used in the Busch Series (sorry...I refuse to call it 'Nationwide') the front clip actually looked like a production Challenger, albeit, with no real grille or headlights, but a Challenger, nonetheless.

I'm sure they're not going to take all that COT research and allow the manufacturers to run full production chassis (though they should, just like the Aussie V8 Supercars series), but hopefully they'll at least allow them to graft the front end of their respective muscle cars on.

The Mustang that they've been parading around, on the other hand, did NOT really look like a Mustang front clip:

That just had a flat 'grille' section, where the headlight and grille stickers went.

Maybe in two years, it'll be the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger in NASCAR, and the Toyota...FT-86?

JR
Old 2/12/11, 06:39 AM
GT Member

Mustang to Cup 2013

From Jayski:

Ford asks NASCAR to approve Mustang for 2013: The Ford Motor Co. has informed NASCAR it would like to race the Mustang in the elite Sprint Cup Series beginning in 2013. "We have declared our interest to NASCAR that we would like to see the Mustang in Cup," Jamie Allison, director of Ford's North American Motorsports program, told The Associated Press on Friday. The approval process to replace the Fusion with the iconic muscle car could take all year, and depends on the Mustang being competitively equal to the sedan models entered by rival manufacturers Dodge, General Motors and Toyota. Ford's motive is to get a car on the track that resembles one that can be purchased off a showroom floor. "We are driving to make sure that the car we race is more consistent and more in context with the cars we sell," Allison said. "They have to look like the cars we sell." Ford, which is seeking its 600th win in the Cup Series in the season-opening Daytona 500, will continue to race the Fusion this season and next.(Associated Press)(2-12-2011)
Old 2/12/11, 06:53 AM
Cobra Member

Not long for carbs, methinks:
http://www.nascar.com/news/110121/fu...der/index.html

While they delayed the FI to 2012, looks like they're gonna get that soon.

I dunno how they're gonna prevent non-detuning of the car for 'restrictor' races, but I'm sure they'll cross that bridge.
McLaren Electronics will provide the common ECUs (locked) just like they do in F1. There's going to be no way for the teams to tamper with them.