Old 5/3/08, 11:15 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 5/3/08, 11:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
I'm happy for Yates drivers, but what the heck is happening with Kenseth? Ever since Robby Reiser left #17 team Kenseth is horrible. He's currently 22nd in standings and I don't think he'll be able to make the chase.
Chip Bolin just hasn't measured up, and Matt's caught some real bad luck (like today).
Old 5/4/08, 12:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Chip Bolin just hasn't measured up, and Matt's caught some real bad luck (like today).
Roush deserves whatever they get. They basically used Yates and threw them to the curb when they got what they needed from them. The information sharing between them allowed Roush to catch and pass Yates. Hopefully Jack gets what's coming to him.
Old 5/4/08, 10:59 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

What do you mean "to catch and pass Yates?"

Roush is front of Yates for a while.
Old 5/4/08, 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm talking a while ago when the teams started working together. Roush was behind Yates at one time. Roush really benefited from the partnership while Yates suffered.
Old 5/4/08, 07:58 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Yates had more success in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but it's not like Roush was a nobody. Mark Martin is one of 50 best drivers in NASCAR history and Jeff Burton was pretty successful too before Ku. Busch, Kenseth and Edwards came.
Old 5/4/08, 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

In horsepower maybe,

Originally Posted by kh765
I'm talking a while ago when the teams started working together. Roush was behind Yates at one time. Roush really benefited from the partnership while Yates suffered.
For a while you might remember that Roush had a sorry engine program a few years back. They were scattering engines every other race until Yates came to their rescue! But Roush has had a good chassis all along where Yates didn't. So it was thought by those influential that the teaming of them could help the Blue Oval in NASCAR -- Roush chassis and proven Yates horsepower. Roush made it work for themselves but Yates somehow didn't " connect the dots "or was too stubborn to change where it was needed most- their less-than adequate chassis.
Old 5/4/08, 08:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Yates had more success in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but it's not like Roush was a nobody. Mark Martin is one of 50 best drivers in NASCAR history and Jeff Burton was pretty successful too before Ku. Busch, Kenseth and Edwards came.
Roush was never a slouch by any means. They just become a super power in NASCAR recently. Mark Martin really made Roush for the longest time.

I'm just bitter about Roush partnering with Fenway.
Old 5/4/08, 09:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by red pony
For a while you might remember that Roush had a sorry engine program a few years back. They were scattering engines every other race until Yates came to their rescue! But Roush has had a good chassis all along where Yates didn't. So it was thought by those influential that the teaming of them could help the Blue Oval in NASCAR -- Roush chassis and proven Yates horsepower. Roush made it work for themselves but Yates somehow didn't " connect the dots "or was too stubborn to change where it was needed most- their less-than adequate chassis.
Great info.
Old 5/4/08, 09:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
It was pretty obvious at the time that Ford "suggested" the sharing of information and it is ironic and true that the weaker team Roush became the stronger team. The Yates team probably ponders this every time Edwards or the others win while they struggle for full time sponsors.
Old 5/4/08, 10:18 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

If Yates can keep Gilliland and Kvapil for longer time, Yates should be competitive again.
They had issues with Jarrett who was horrible after his championship and with Sadler, simply because he sucked (he's even worse now at Everham).
Old 5/4/08, 10:28 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Gilliland was in that nasty wreck Saturday that basically treated Carpentier like a pinata. It was unforutnate but Kvapil managed 16th right. I think Yates has a good future with these guys because they are really finishing well on a lower budget program. Success will bring money which will bring much more success.
Old 5/4/08, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by red pony
Roush made it work for themselves but Yates somehow didn't " connect the dots "or was too stubborn to change where it was needed most- their less-than adequate chassis.
Wasn't Yates stubbornness. Basically, Ford engineered the merger that created RoushYates engines, but did nothing on the chassis side. Roush, being a competitive guy, felt no compulsion to hand Yates all his chassis info.

Initially, the difference wasn't too bad. But as money poured into the sport the 3+-car teams got a huge edge in testing and R&D, leaving 2-car teams in a hole. Since he couldn't expand while running poorly, Robert Yates hoped to get the chassis shop back in shape by bringing in Ford guys from outside NASCAR. Doug, however, has gone a different route by buying old Roush cars and leaning on Ford to lean on Roush to help Yates Racing get competitive again. He's helped by NASCAR forcing Roush to shut a car down, as Ford Racing doesn't want to lose that car from its umbrella so they're hoping to build Yates up to 3 cars eventually.

I can't really blame Jack much, he got handed a sweet deal and has pretty much been kept Ford in it while NASCAR has made sweet love to Toyota and GM. Ford should have done more to help Yates (starting with not pissing away Kasey Khane) but they seemed content to have Roush be the de-facto factory team for too long.
Old 5/4/08, 11:29 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford should pay more attention not just to Yates, but to other Ford's NASCAR teams.

Anymore remember Wood Brothers? Team that had some of the best NASCAR drivers such as Curtis Turner, Marvin Panch, Fireball Roberts, Parnelli Jones, Junior Johnson, Fred Lorenzen, Cale Yarborough, David Pearson, Bobby, Donnie i Davey Allison ...?
They're dying right now, even with Bill Elliott.

How about not being able to keep great drivers like Kurt Busch and Jeff Burton?

What's gonna happen once Jack Roush is gone (let's face it, he's 66 years old). Does that mean end of Ford in general in NASCAR? Just like Toyota was able to buy Gibbs, why can't Ford buy a good team?
Old 5/5/08, 12:25 AM

Well, the 50% sale to Fenway Sports Group was Roush's way of preserving his team beyond his own involvement. Whenever Jack decides to get out, the FSG guys aren't going to let his team languish. Just look what they've done for the Red Sox over the last few years.
Just like Toyota was able to buy Gibbs, why can't Ford buy a good team?
Careful, you give them ideas and we'll wake up the next day with MWR in Fords *shudder.*
I don't think the answer is to try and buy an existing team, as we saw with the DEI almost-switch Ford Racing can't match GM or Toyota for insanely massive expenditure. And, to return to the MWR example, buying a super-star team often does jack squat for the rest of the brand. To me, the Key is to pressure/force Roush to build up the competitiveness of Yates and Woods. When Roush cuts a car loose, that car and its immediate team should be sold/transferred to Woods or Yates. Roush's standout Gong Show development drivers should be pointed to Yates and Woods if Roush doesn't have an opening. And they should try to make Boris Said's situation more permanent, like by merging Sobe/NoFear with Woods.
Old 5/5/08, 01:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
I don't think the answer is to try and buy an existing team, as we saw with the DEI almost-switch Ford Racing can't match GM or Toyota for insanely massive expenditure. And, to return to the MWR example, buying a super-star team often does jack squat for the rest of the brand. To me, the Key is to pressure/force Roush to build up the competitiveness of Yates and Woods. When Roush cuts a car loose, that car and its immediate team should be sold/transferred to Woods or Yates. Roush's standout Gong Show development drivers should be pointed to Yates and Woods if Roush doesn't have an opening. And they should try to make Boris Said's situation more permanent, like by merging Sobe/NoFear with Woods.
I really like your ideas. The Wood Brothers are in dire straits right now. I'm afraid they could be out of the sport in the next couple years if they don't get some serious help. The only way they make races is by using past-champions provisionals. I don't know if Boris would be well served to join with Wood Bros or not. I think he has the talent to drive full time in Sprint Cup, but I don't know if that would be the best opportunity for him. That being said, the Ford teams do need to work together because there are precious few Ford's left in the Sprint Cup.
Old 5/5/08, 09:24 PM

I think a Woods alliance with Boris would work well because they wouldn't have as much pressure on him to be a performer from the get-go, especially since he has a pretty dedicated sponsor in Sobe/NoFear, and because they're in the most dire need of expansion period. It would give Woods the testing/R&D resources they'll need, and Boris the time he needs to get his full-schedule legs.
Old 5/5/08, 09:41 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Did Boris Said ever drove full season?
Old 5/5/08, 10:20 PM

Nope.
Old 5/6/08, 02:03 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer