Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Kvapil/Yates Sponsor Watch

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/08, 03:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, be interesting to see how this comes out. Sounds like its yet another 1-race deal, but every bit helps.

Last edited by Moosetang; 4/10/08 at 03:19 PM.
Old 4/10/08, 05:56 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to see Yates still hanging in there. I would really depress me to have Yates go out of business as have all those other loyal Ford teams.
Old 4/10/08, 07:49 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Old 4/10/08, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
That's what drives me the most nuts. They each have a top 10 and they're WELL in the top-35, sponsors with drivers who are already in the bucket should be beating the door down, but aren't.

Enter conspiracy theory: NASCAR's attitude toward the Yates team the last few seasons has been along the lines of "they're still here?" Now, they're going out of their way to tee-off Jack Roush. I'm starting to wonder if NASCAR is trying to push Ford out, and maybe the sponsors' reluctance is a symptom of this.
Your conspiracy theory holds a lot of weight as far as I am concerned . The NASCAR community caters to Chevy all the time .When you watch a race on TV , who do they talk about, interview,follow with a camera, or push in Nascar products, -- Chevy ! And , if they win the race or not, somewhere during the race you have to have it shoved up your butt , " No-one has won more races than Chevy." OK FINE ! There needs to be a remedy
for this . Instead of Jack Roush fuming about Toyota, like he does , Ford , Dodge , and Toyota needs to put their heads together and hand Chevy their back-sides week after week for a few years so we don't have to hear that nonsense anymore . When a Chevy is in the lead near the end of the race, have a Toyota or Dodge or Ford "draw a caution " like the Chevy drivers do when a Ford is winning a race ! And don't tell me you weren't suspicious of this activity ! When a Chevy is winning the race, is it my imagination, or does Nascar just let it Chevy run the last 30 laps UNINTERUPTED and hands them the win ? But if a Ford is in the lead, with 18 laps left, either a Chevy driver spins out , Nascar throws a caution for debri on the track or some other lame excuse to bunch up the field so a Ford has to struggle with re-starts to win . It's like watching Studio Wrestling ! The only good thing that happened last Sunday, was Jeff Gorden was 43rd., and Carl Edwards won ! HOW REFRESHING ! You can't tell me Nascar liked that outcome on Sunday . As far as I'm concerned, the France family all have Chevy bowties tatooed to their butt cheeks !
Old 4/10/08, 08:09 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Maybe Ford should exit NASCAR, they're not getting anything from it anyway.
Old 4/10/08, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

but then what am i gonna watch on Sundays other than mexican soccer.

And also, Ford quitting will be like saying "ok you got the best of me, im giving up". The last thing Ford needs is for people to think Ford is full of quitters.

And one last thing, do you really want to see Carl Edwards with Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota?

Yup, didn't think so.
Old 4/10/08, 08:49 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

What's gonna happen when Jack Roush is gone? He's 66 years old, I don't think he'll be involved in racing too much longer.
It's just a matter of time until Wood Brothers is gone and Yates will be gone too if they don't find sponsors.

I ended up watching Mark Martin driving Chevy, after that for me it wouldn't be too much of shock watching Edwards and Kenseth driving Chevy, Dodge or Toyota.
Old 4/11/08, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

That was shocking AND disgusting !

Originally Posted by Red Star
What's gonna happen when Jack Roush is gone? He's 66 years old, I don't think he'll be involved in racing too much longer.
It's just a matter of time until Wood Brothers is gone and Yates will be gone too if they don't find sponsors.

I ended up watching Mark Martin driving Chevy, after that for me it wouldn't be too much of shock watching Edwards and Kenseth driving Chevy, Dodge or Toyota.
Mark Martin and Dale Jarrett jumping ship ( like rats do ) didn't help Ford's cause at all. But when you reallize the rules in Nascar favor Chevy, and at every turn, Nascar rules against you , the " if you can't beat them, join them " mentality kicks in. So goes Mark Martin . At least Ricky Rudd was loyal enough to stay with Ford despite offers made to him in the past. But Dale Jarrett left for more money -- much, much more money ! !
Old 4/11/08, 09:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I understand why Mark left; he wanted to drive part time and Jack Roush was looking for a full time driver.

But Jarrett ... I remember when he signed with Toyota, he criticized Ford so much after finishing 21st in standings in 2006. Then in 2007 with Toyota he was 41st.

There are many other drivers I wish they stayed. Newman, Ku. Busch, Burton ...
Old 4/12/08, 12:37 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Kvapil's car does look great for this weekend.

Sadly, Gilliland won't have a sponsor.

Old 4/12/08, 12:57 AM

Jarret got sold a bill of goods by Toyota, which promptly abandoned (not literally) its Launch teams when Gibbs came aboard. Karma. Anyone who couldn't see that Toyota was waiting for a big-3 team to be their flagship is named Mikey Waltrip.

I think Martin could have tried harder to stay at Ford, hell he could have started his own team more easily than most. But he wanted a ride handed to him, he wanted it to be competitive from the start, and he wanted to write his own schedule. There's no way Yates or Woods could have handled that in their state, and there's no reason for Roush to with his lineup, so leaving was preordained.

There was a time when the TV crews would talk up unsponsored cars that were performing well as a kind of unofficial shot in the arm, car guys helping car guys. Now, when they do rarely mention Yates, they seem to be going out of their way to make the team look pathetic.
Old 4/12/08, 05:10 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
Jarret got sold a bill of goods by Toyota, which promptly abandoned (not literally) its Launch teams when Gibbs came aboard. Karma. Anyone who couldn't see that Toyota was waiting for a big-3 team to be their flagship is named Mikey Waltrip.

I think Martin could have tried harder to stay at Ford, hell he could have started his own team more easily than most. But he wanted a ride handed to him, he wanted it to be competitive from the start, and he wanted to write his own schedule. There's no way Yates or Woods could have handled that in their state, and there's no reason for Roush to with his lineup, so leaving was preordained.

There was a time when the TV crews would talk up unsponsored cars that were performing well as a kind of unofficial shot in the arm, car guys helping car guys. Now, when they do rarely mention Yates, they seem to be going out of their way to make the team look pathetic.
Actually, the brief time I watched the race last weekend the Fox guys were giving a good deal of air-time to the Yates teams speaking on how well they were doing and how secure in the Top 35 both teams were at present time. It was stated that they were surprised neither team was sponsored despite how well the teams have performed this year.

Also watched an interview with Doug Yates this past week and he stated they have had plenty of offers for sponsorship, but not at the level the team wants/expects. He didn't say how long the teams could run without sponsorship, but it didn't sound like they would be forced to close shop any time soon.
Old 4/12/08, 07:55 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

NASCAR still has bad feelings towards Ford. The core of it is that back in 1969 NASCAR felt it gave the store to Ford by letting Ford run the Boss 429, which was clearly the ultimate engine of the old era.

In NASCAR's mind Ford turned around and slapped them in the face by pulling out in 1972. GM stepped in and saved NASCAR at the start of the new era by providing parts and behind the scenes support for many teams. GM also helped by running 4 brands at times to create some
"manufacturer" interest. This literally saved NASCAR's rear end when times were tough in the late 70s and early 80s.

When Ford returned with factory support in the 1980s, NASCAR flat out told Ford "We don't want you back unless you're in it for the long haul and play by our rules."

While I can understand the roots of NASCAR's animosity to Ford, it's been 35 years since Ford pulled out and Ford has been back, playing the part of NASCAR whiping boy, for over 20 years. It's time for NASCAR to "get over it" and treat Ford as an equal to GM.
Old 4/12/08, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Actually, the brief time I watched the race last weekend the Fox guys were giving a good deal of air-time to the Yates teams speaking on how well they were doing and how secure in the Top 35 both teams were at present time. It was stated that they were surprised neither team was sponsored despite how well the teams have performed this year.

Also watched an interview with Doug Yates this past week and he stated they have had plenty of offers for sponsorship, but not at the level the team wants/expects. He didn't say how long the teams could run without sponsorship, but it didn't sound like they would be forced to close shop any time soon.
In that case I'm suitably impressed. I didn't see most of last week and on previous occasions their coverage was nowhere what you described. I hope they stick to it.

I figured the white cars were a choice by Yates, as I postulated in an earlier post he probably figures running week-to-week sponsors would do him no favors trying to attract a full-time deal.
Old 4/12/08, 01:13 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Wouldn't be better to have some sponsor, even if it's not at Yates level, than to have no sponsor at all?
Old 4/12/08, 10:52 PM

Nice run by both cars after they were set back hugely when a caution caught them making green-flag stops. Gilliland battled back onto the lead lap and ended up 14th, Kvapil could have used a lucky dog and without it ended up 24th. No word on sponsor interest or if Drive One will stay on Kvapil's car beyond this week.
Old 4/12/08, 11:20 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Was I the only Ford guy who wanted for Mark Martin to win today?
Old 4/13/08, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star
Was I the only Ford guy who wanted for Mark Martin to win today?
At the end I was at the "Anybody but Johnson" stage, for sure.
Old 4/13/08, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by V10
NASCAR still has bad feelings towards Ford. The core of it is that back in 1969 NASCAR felt it gave the store to Ford by letting Ford run the Boss 429, which was clearly the ultimate engine of the old era.

In NASCAR's mind Ford turned around and slapped them in the face by pulling out in 1972. GM stepped in and saved NASCAR at the start of the new era by providing parts and behind the scenes support for many teams. GM also helped by running 4 brands at times to create some
"manufacturer" interest. This literally saved NASCAR's rear end when times were tough in the late 70s and early 80s.

When Ford returned with factory support in the 1980s, NASCAR flat out told Ford "We don't want you back unless you're in it for the long haul and play by our rules."

While I can understand the roots of NASCAR's animosity to Ford, it's been 35 years since Ford pulled out and Ford has been back, playing the part of NASCAR whiping boy, for over 20 years. It's time for NASCAR to "get over it" and treat Ford as an equal to GM.
+1 as far as Nascar needs to "get over it ". But there's one inconsistancy to what you said -- not that it lacked any amount of fact. But back in 1957 , Chevy pulled out of Nascar. And they were NEVER played " Whipping Boy " by Nascar in the years to follow ! Why ? Politics and BIG MONEY ! The advertising campaign Chevy put out in the 60's was the envy of the industry ! If you are 45+ years old , you might remember Sunday night prime time shows like Bonanza that show-cased Chevy products in their commercials . Nascar , like a hungry orphan, wanted Chevy for the exposure and favored them like a " Fair - Haired Boy " -- then , and now -- for the same reason . ADVERTISING ! Throw around enough money and you will get all the attention and favors! Corrupt politics. I view any year Ford won a champianship as a year Ford beat Chevy at their own game .

Last edited by red pony; 4/13/08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 4/13/08, 07:46 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by red pony
+1 as far as Nascar needs to "get over it ". But there's one inconsistancy to what you said -- not that it lacked any amount of fact. But back in 1957 , Chevy pulled out of Nascar...........
All manufacturers pulled out in 57-58, in an agreement to stop racing.
But all of them kept some level of back door racing programs until the early 60s when Ford went public with its racing program.

If I remember correctly, Pontiac never admitted to having a racing program in the late 50s & early 60s, although everybody knew they were givng lots of $$ and special parts to their teams.

Quick Reply: Kvapil/Yates Sponsor Watch