Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Keselowski says rivals stole Ford employees, information

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/13, 08:45 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keselowski says rivals stole Ford employees, information

Keselowski says rivals stole Ford employees, information: #2-Brad Keselowski met with Ford Motor Co. employees in Dearborn on Thursday and signed autographs and answered questions. The defending NASCAR Sprint Cup champion also found time to chat with reporters and take a sharp jab at Chevrolet-backed Hendrick Motorsports and Joe Gibbs Racing, which runs Toyotas. Keselowski criticized Hendrick and Gibbs for "stealing away" employees and information from Ford Cup teams, including his own Penske Racing outfit and Roush Fenway Racing. Keselowski didn't mince words about Hendrick and Gibbs' recruitment techniques when he was asked by the media about the recent efforts of Ford teams like Penske and Roush coming together and sharing information. "There are little things you can do," Keselowski said of Ford-backed teams opening up lines of communication in an effort to improve performances on the track. "What keeps it from going too far is the fact that Hendrick and Gibbs have this nasty little habit of going to other teams and outbidding other people and taking those employees and stealing our information, and, when that happens, that puts walls up between the camps because you are giving up more than one piece of information  you are giving up two companies' information and trying to protect yourself against that, it forces you to put up walls.It doesn't necessarily lend itself to working together. But still, we are going to put in a valiant effort where we can and where it makes sense to put Ford in a position to have the best results possible."Keselowski cited two incidents where he claimed Hendrick and Gibbs  who between them run the likes of series points leader and five-time Cup champ Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin and Dale Earnhardt Jr.  lured away Ford team employees with big offers."Gibbs stole the Roush aero director and took all the information," said Keselowski. "And Hendricks took three employees from our Chase-winning team last year."(USA Today)(6-14-2013)
Old 6/14/13, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can't "steal" employees - They will go where the best money and chance for WINNING is. That's not stealing, that's making a better offer.

As far as information goes, you entice the employee to your stable and you get all the knowledge that they bring with them.

There is always an excuse as to why someone doesn't win.
Old 6/14/13, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

I get what Bad Brad is saying. It is difficult for race teams to compete with the high dollar teams like Hendrick and Gibbs. Those high dollar teams will use their money to lure crewman and drivers from less well financed teams. What is so ironic is NASCAR was so concerned about Roush dominating that they limited the number of teams Roush could own. Now, Roush does not have enough teams to come up with combinations to beat the mega dollar teams that can buy equipment and people to outsmart the NASCAR rule makers.
Old 6/14/13, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess you can turn it around and ask yourself:

If you were Rick Hendrick and wanted a winning team, would you spare any expense in recruiting the absolute best talent both in the pit and behind the wheel?

If you were considered a top talent in your field and Rick Hendrick offered you a great job on a proven winning racing team, would you not take the job and use all of your knowledge, talent, and experience to help your new team win?
Old 6/14/13, 01:34 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Cristoff
If you were considered a top talent in your field and Rick Hendrick offered you a great job on a proven winning racing team, would you not take the job and use all of your knowledge, talent, and experience to help your new team win?
It depends ... If my current team gave me a big break when nobody else wanted to, I would stay with that team even if I had a better job offer. And we're talking about Roush and Penske that these people work for, not some crappy teams.
I would never do to my boss what Kenseth did to Jack Roush. In fact, my current boss gave me a job when I was fresh out of college with no work experience and nobody would hire me. She took a chance with me when nobody else wanted to - just like Jack Roush took a chance with Kenseth. I had few much better job opportunities over the years ... I turned them all down. I would leave my job if I was starting a new business on my own, but I would not work for the competition.
Old 6/14/13, 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
It depends ... If my current team gave me a big break when nobody else wanted to, I would stay with that team even if I had a better job offer. And we're talking about Roush and Penske that these people work for, not some crappy teams.
I would never do to my boss what Kenseth did to Jack Roush. In fact, my current boss gave me a job when I was fresh out of college with no work experience and nobody would hire me. She took a chance with me when nobody else wanted to - just like Jack Roush took a chance with Kenseth. I had few much better job opportunities over the years ... I turned them all down. I would leave my job if I was starting a new business on my own, but I would not work for the competition.
The difference is that you are talking about the ultra-competitive world of professional sports. These people will migrate to a team that is proven to win - because to them winning is EVERYTHING.

Don't think for one second that Keselowski wouldn't jump ship to Hendrick Motorsports if he had the chance to. If you think that, you are just fooling yourself.

Last edited by Cristoff; 6/14/13 at 02:26 PM.
Old 6/14/13, 02:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't agree with that. There's still brand loyalty in NASCAR.

Before Gibbs got Kenseth, he tried to get other two Roush drivers (Edwards and Biffle) over the past years and both refused to leave Roush. Even now Biffle has an offer from Childress to replace Kevin Harvick in the #29 team, but he doesn't wanna leave.
Old 6/14/13, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

All that means is that the offer isn't good enough yet.

I restate - you cannot "steal" employees. No one forced them to go unwillingly. You make the offer good enough, loyalty disappears - it all boils down to the price.

Throw another 10 million at Biffle and I'll bet my life savings that he becomes Childress' ***** before you can blink.

Last edited by Cristoff; 6/14/13 at 03:57 PM.
Old 6/14/13, 04:30 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Now you're talking crazy money. I doubt those former Roush and Penske employees got that much raise in salary at Hendrick and Gibbs. Because Roush and Penske are not some low income teams. Roush is still the 2nd most expensive NASCAR team and Penske won the championship last year.
Old 6/14/13, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

The number was just an example, but the point is the same.

It may not have been 10 million, but it was enough to test and overcome their loyalty. Heck, It may not even have been money - it may have been simply a promise to be on a team that knows how to win.

You cannot deny that Hendrick Motorsports just knows how to get the job done consistently.
Old 6/14/13, 06:25 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Cristoff
You cannot deny that Hendrick Motorsports just knows how to get the job done consistently.
Of course. You have $$$ - you can buy smaller team's employees and you can cheat and be able to take the risk of getting caught.
Old 6/14/13, 06:59 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
while, technically speaking you cannot "steal an employee" - you can effectively steal said employees knowledge. I'm sure the employees of the teams are required to sign a non-disclosure and non-competitve agreement - basically stating that if they were to leave team A for team B, they wouldn't share team A's knowledge with team B. That's what is going on, though it cannot be proven. That's what he means by stealing employees.
Old 6/14/13, 07:04 PM
Cobra Member

Just like the Richard Petty days, money buys wins.
Old 6/15/13, 02:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Hendrick says Keselowski should show 'more class'

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hendric...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

BROOKLYN, Mich. (AP) -- Rick Hendrick defended his team's hiring approach Friday and said Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski should show ''more class'' after accusing Hendrick Motorsports of stealing information by poaching employees from Ford teams.
''Brad misrepresents the facts and spends a lot of time making insinuations and accusations about other teams when he should be focused on his own program and competing at a high level,'' Hendrick said in a statement. ''I hope he figures that out and begins representing himself and the sport with more class.''
Keselowski was at Ford headquarters in Dearborn on Thursday, when he said his Penske Racing team has been reluctant to share information with Roush Fenway Racing on their Ford cars.
''What keeps it from going too far is the fact Hendrick and (Joe Gibbs Racing) have this nasty little habit of going to our teams and outbidding different people and taking those employees and stealing our information,'' Keselowski said, according to ESPN.com.
Keselowski didn't elaborate when asked about his comments Friday.
''We were just talking about Ford and specifically the relationship between Penske and Roush, and how strong it was,'' Keselowski said. ''I just commented on, there will always be limitations to our relationships company to company because of those transactions.''
Joe Gibbs Racing weighed in with a statement of its own.
''We were surprised to read the recent comments and accusations made by Brad Keselowski,'' JGR said. ''Clearly those comments are misguided and irresponsible. Brad's candor is well documented, but he would do well to only speak to subjects on which he is properly informed.''
Keselowski was a developmental driver for Hendrick Motorsports before Hendrick granted him an early release to drive for Roger Penske. Keselowski has won a Nationwide title and the Cup championship since moving to Penske Racing.
But Hendrick said the outspoken champion is ''misinformed'' on his latest claim.
''The truth is that we hired one tire changer, who was a backup for Penske and whose contract was up,'' Hendrick said. ''We also brought over one mechanic from their Nationwide program and, when the Penske engine shop was closing, added a few of those people. What Brad left out was that his organization also hired one of our tire changers.''
This is just one of many verbal dust-ups between Keselowski and the Hendrick organization, which Keselowski often believes gets away with more than others. He also has been critical of Hendrick's research and development cycle.
He went on a rant after the Texas race in April when NASCAR confiscated parts from the Penske cars during a pre-race inspection, and while his comments were vague and open to interpretation, many believed he was alleging Hendrick cars get more leeway than Penske teams. Then came a rumor that it was Hendrick employees who snitched on Penske for having suspect rear suspensions. Hendrick's drivers have adamantly denied anyone from their organization tattled to NASCAR.
''Roger Penske and I are great friends and have raced together for years,'' Hendrick said Friday. ''We've always competed with the utmost respect, and I have immense admiration for his organization. You won't find anyone at Hendrick Motorsports who feels differently.''
Old 6/15/13, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
Of course. You have $$$ - you can buy smaller team's employees and you can cheat and be able to take the risk of getting caught.

Welcome to the 21st Century - Heck, Welcome to the 20th century...
Old 6/15/13, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Really? This has been going on in Nascar for 40 years...
Old 6/15/13, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to give Bad Brad a lot of credit for bringing up the issue of how the big teams like Gibbs and Hendrick try to create a monopoly by buying up all the talented people they can from other race teams. The press is always relaying the tales Hendrick and Gibbs tell of how their teams work harder than the other teams. It was good of Keselowski to enlighten the general public of how the mega dollar teams operate and try to weaken their competition by taking away key people. Remember how Hendrick to Jeff Gordon and Kasey Kane away from Ford.
Old 6/16/13, 05:38 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
I have to give Bad Brad a lot of credit for bringing up the issue of how the big teams like Gibbs and Hendrick try to create a monopoly by buying up all the talented people they can from other race teams. The press is always relaying the tales Hendrick and Gibbs tell of how their teams work harder than the other teams. It was good of Keselowski to enlighten the general public of how the mega dollar teams operate and try to weaken their competition by taking away key people. Remember how Hendrick to Jeff Gordon and Kasey Kane away from Ford.
Yeah . . . It was FMC at fault for the situations with Gordon and Kahne, not Hendrick. And I would think most people who understand business would know that teams (or businesses) always look for talent from the competition. That's what non-compete clauses are for . . . but they may not be applicable in NASCAR.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 6/16/13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 6/16/13, 09:12 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I agree that Ford was at fault for losing Gordon and Kahne - they simply waited too long to move them to the Sprint Cup from the Nationwide.

However, I do agree that Hendrick has special treatment from NASCAR. I remember the last time Edwards was fighting Johnson for a championship and how every time Johnson needed a caution - he got one. Not to mention how many times Chad Knaus was suspended and financially fined for cheating.
Old 6/16/13, 04:56 PM
GT Member

The black helicopters are circling.

Quick Reply: Keselowski says rivals stole Ford employees, information