Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Kenseth declines to discuss future...to Gibbs? Penske?

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/12, 05:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenseth declines to discuss future...to Gibbs? Penske?

Kenseth declines to discuss future...to Gibbs? Penske?: #17-Matt Kenseth declined to discuss his future with Roush Fenway Racing before Sunday's race at Sonoma, where there was rampant speculation he's been talking to other race teams. Kenseth acts as his own agent, and has been with Roush his entire career. But his #17 Ford has limited sponsorship, and team owner Jack Roush has been paying out of his own pocket to ensure Kenseth runs a full season. "You know I don't talk about my contract," Kenseth said. "I'd like to have something to tell you, but I don't have anything to talk about right now. Until I have something to announce, I don't talk about it."
Everybody else was talking, though, and Kenseth's name this weekend was linked to both Joe Gibbs Racing, a Toyota team, and Penske Racing, which is moving from Dodge to Ford in 2013. Kenseth is a longtime Ford driver. JGR team president J.D. Gibbs declined to discuss any possible negotiations with Kenseth. JGR not only has room for expansion to a fourth car, but Joey Logano's status as driver of the #20 is currently unresolved. Logano is in the final year of his contract. "I'm not allowed to talk," he said.
Roger Penske was not at Sunday's race, but senior vice president of Penske Corp., Bud Denker said the team is not talking to Kenseth and is content with AJ Allmendinger in the #22. "Our expectations are that AJ will be in the car and Todd (Gordon) will be the crew chief next year," Denker said. "So we are not talking to Matt, that's confirmed." The Penske move to Ford has led to talk the organization could be a potential home for Nationwide Series champion Ricky Stenhouse Jr. or 2011 Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne, who are both in long-term contracts with Roush but are stymied because of sponsorship woes.(ESPN/Associated Press)(6-24-2012)
Old 6/26/12, 02:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

It figures! Ford teams running up front and Ford has to pay the bill instead of the sponsers! With sponsers so few and far between, it doesn't help that Hendricks and others got some of the best sponsers out there ( I was going to say best money can buy, but I don't know that!) With no sponsers, how long can Roush-Fenway last?!
Old 6/26/12, 09:28 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Its like Bud Moore and Yates situation all over again ...

Roush is one of the top teams in NASCAR, Kenseth is the points leader, and they still can't find sponsors ... Unbelievable.
Old 6/26/12, 05:38 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I'm really hoping for Penske, would burn to see him wearing a bowtie after all this time.
Originally Posted by Synyster_Vengeance
Its like Bud Moore and Yates situation all over again ...

Roush is one of the top teams in NASCAR, Kenseth is the points leader, and they still can't find sponsors ... Unbelievable.
Utterly confounding. I really wish there was at least ONE competent NASCAR reporter who could explain what's going on.
Old 6/26/12, 09:51 PM
GT Member

im confused how roush consistently cant find sponsorship for winning drivers