Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Jarrett Goes to Toyota . . .

Search this Thread

Old 5/14/06, 05:46 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Jarrett Goes to Toyota . . .

from jayski.com (other sources)

I guess if Bill Elliott can leave Ford so can Jarrett.

Jarrett announcement this weekend? OFFICAL Jarrett to Waltrip/Toyota: hearing that #88-Dale Jarrett could make his announcement going to Toyota/Michael Waltrip Racing as soon as this weekend at Darlington Raceway. Waltrip is scheduled to make a live announcement on Speed Channel's NASCAR Live, Saturday, May 13th at 12:30pm/et...maybe....(5-12-2006)
OFFICIAL: it was announced on Speed Channel's NASCAR Live at 12:32pm/et that Dale Jarrett, current driver of the #88 UPS Ford for Robert Yates Racing will drive a Toyota for Michael Waltrip Racing in 2007, no word on sponsor, car number, etc. AND see a transcript of the announcement at FoxSports.com: SPEED Q&A: Waltrip's Toyota team signs Jarrett to two-year deal
UPDATE: Michael Waltrip, owner of Michael Waltrip Racing, Incorporated, announced today that former NASCAR champion and three-time Daytona 500 winner, Dale Jarrett, is joining the organization to drive the team's second Toyota entry in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series beginning in 2007. "When we began building Michael Waltrip Racing, I knew the key to success was bringing in quality people," Waltrip explained. "Ty Norris has been instrumental on the business side, just as Larry Carter and Bobby Kennedy have been on the competition side. By hiring Dale, we have yet another example of the importance we are placing on securing first-rate individuals for our program."
"Dale's resume speaks for itself," continued Waltrip. "To have a NASCAR champion on our team is another significant piece of the puzzle that pulls together our vision. I know his knowledge and experience will be invaluable for a start-up team with a new manufacturer and will allow our organization to grow and succeed at a faster pace." Jarrett is a well-known veteran of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series. He established himself as a perennial championship contender in the mid-90s, finishing in the top-10 in championship points for seven consecutive seasons and winning the series title in 1999. Jarrett has 32 career NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series victories, including the aforementioned three Daytona 500 wins and two in the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. His resume also includes being named to NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers list.
"My tenure at Robert Yates Racing has been extremely important to me, my family and my career," Jarrett said. "We accomplished a lot together during the past 12 years and I am thankful to Robert and everyone at RYR and Ford Motor Company for the opportunities they afforded me and the success we have all shared. This was a very difficult decision. I feel this is a great opportunity for me to take on a new challenge and what they are building at Michael Waltrip Racing fits my plans for the future."
"My decision to join Michael Waltrip Racing is based solely on a competitor's perspective," Jarrett continued. "What Michael has pulled together is impressive and I want to be a part of it. The Daytona 500 might seem far away, but for a race team it is right around the corner. Michael's team is building cars now, their core management team is in place, the competition department is established and sponsors are locked up. From that perspective, it doesn't feel like I am going to a brand new team."
"Toyota's strategic entry into NASCAR has been equally impressive," said Jarrett. "The mark they have made in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in the last three years is reason enough to want to be part of their entrance into the Cup Series." Waltrip is the first of the three Toyota team owners to solidify their 2007 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series drivers.(MWR PR)(5-13-2006)

Ford furious with Jarrett's defection: Ford officials are none too pleased with the apparent loss of Dale Jarrett, who will announce his decision to join Michael Waltrip Racing later this weekend (live on SPEED, Saturday at 12:00pm/et). All but two of Jarrett's 32 career Cup wins have come behind the wheel of a blue-ovaled automobile, as did his 1999 Winston Cup title. In addition, Jarrett's father, Ned, won both of his Cup titles as a Ford factory driver, and Dale Jarrett Ford is one of the largest Ford dealerships in the country, located in Monroe, NC about one hour north of Darlington. Priority number one for the suits in Dearborn? Making sure the rest of their camp stay put, in particular Jarrett's current teammate Elliott Sadler.(FoxSports), actually Ned Jarrett drove a Chevy for most of the 1961 season when he won his first championship.(5-13-2006)
Old 5/14/06, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isn't his toyota's sponsor RedBull

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/25/red-bull-sponsors-nascar-toyota-team/
Old 5/14/06, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

now toyota has 2 washed up drivers, whoopie!
Old 5/14/06, 07:56 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 199
No, Red Bull is a seperate team.
Old 5/14/06, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
No, Red Bull is a seperate team.
i don't get it,, u mean there seprate teams, but they also use the toyota camry?
Old 5/14/06, 01:55 PM
Post *****

Yes . . .there will be three teams that will run Camry's next season.

1. Red Bull Racing (with Red Bull Sponsorship)
2. Bill Davis Racing (not sure of Sponsorship)
3. Michael Waltrip Racing (not sure of Sponsorship)
Old 5/14/06, 02:08 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

This sucks. I'm just glad its not anybody from Roush. After losing Kurt Busch last year, I don't think we can afford to lose another driver (even though McMurray sucks now).
Old 5/14/06, 05:27 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a Jarrett fan but I don't really care for this move. My mom lives just minutes from his Ford dealership. Just curious how that is going to work. Dale Jarrett Ford, and DJ driving a Toyota. I think he is making a big mistake. All I can think is that they must have offered him a lot of money.
Old 5/15/06, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Penke and Ganassi go with Toyota, too.