Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Dodge Magnum/Charger

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/04, 05:22 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand the Dodge Magnum and/or Charger is replacing the Dodge Intrepid.

Aerodynamically, the Magnum is a poor replacement for the Intrepid. About as aerodynamic as a brick.

I wonder how much a NASCAR Magnum/Charger body will look like the stock.

I always thought it was odd how Ford and Dodge race 2 door versions of cars that we can only get in 4 doors (Taurus and Intrepid), while Chevy actually uses a 2 Monte Carlo.
Old 7/21/04, 05:57 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Disregard my earlier comments above. I had not read the post about the charger coming back to NASCAR.

Well that solves that aerodynamic problem.

Now all we need is for Ford to bring back the 2 door Ford Torino.

Otherwise Ford will be the only company running a NASCAR model based on a 4 door sedan.
Old 7/23/04, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be wrong, but the Charger IS a four door model, albeit an excellently disguised four door...
Old 7/23/04, 04:33 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

I could be wrong, but the Charger IS a four door model, albeit an excellently disguised four door...
How dare you correct the all powerful and all knowing moderator of the "Ford & Mustang Motorsports" Forum :angry:

Just kidding

You are correct (see quote below taken from the other dodge charger topic link) I just quickly glanced at the picture and thought it was a 2 door.

Ok, well Chevy needs to get on the bandwagon and replace the Monte Carlo stickers with Impala stickers

The full-size Charger, which will be sold as a four-door sedan, is a closer match to the Ford Taurus and Chevrolet Monte Carlo — the only three other vehicles competing in NASCAR’s top-tier Nextel Cup next year.

Though the Ford Taurus is expected to be phased out in the next four years, Kennedy said “as long as Taurus is around, it will be our car.”

Pat Suhy, GM’s engineering group manager, said the Monte Carlo would not change for the 2005 racing season.

Dodge’s new design comes as NASCAR is pushing DaimlerChrysler, GM and Ford to build race cars that look more like the production cars they sell to the public. The move represents a return to a founding tenant of the 50-year-old sport.

But with NASCAR imposing more safety requirements — such as roll bars and bulky steel-caged cockpits — “they’ve really taken away the manufacturer’s ability to build race cars that look like street cars,” Suhy said.

Manufacturers are left to distinguish their cars mainly with front and back end panels, he said. The full-size Charger, which will be sold as a four-door sedan, is a closer match to the Ford Taurus and Chevrolet Monte Carlo — the only three other vehicles competing in NASCAR’s top-tier Nextel Cup next year.

Though the Ford Taurus is expected to be phased out in the next four years, Kennedy said “as long as Taurus is around, it will be our car.”

Pat Suhy, GM’s engineering group manager, said the Monte Carlo would not change for the 2005 racing season.

Dodge’s new design comes as NASCAR is pushing DaimlerChrysler, GM and Ford to build race cars that look more like the production cars they sell to the public. The move represents a return to a founding tenant of the 50-year-old sport.

But with NASCAR imposing more safety requirements — such as roll bars and bulky steel-caged cockpits — “they’ve really taken away the manufacturer’s ability to build race cars that look like street cars,” Suhy said.

Manufacturers are left to distinguish their cars mainly with front and back end panels, he said.