Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

DEI to buy Yates?

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/07, 08:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
DEI to buy Yates?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6751928?MSNHPHMA

That would put Roush (Fenway) pretty much the the only comtetitive Ford team in NASCAR....as if they arent already....I'm telling you...this manufactuer thing will never last. Pretty soon, it will be like the IRL where everyone runs the same manufactuer.
Old 4/28/07, 09:00 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks.
Old 4/29/07, 06:12 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6751928?MSNHPHMA

That would put Roush (Fenway) pretty much the the only comtetitive Ford team in NASCAR....as if they arent already....I'm telling you...this manufactuer thing will never last. Pretty soon, it will be like the IRL where everyone runs the same manufactuer.
The article reads that DEI could align with Ford. Imagine Dale Jr. in a Ford (sticker car)?! Hey . . . his dad drove a Ford Thunderbird briefly in '82 & '83.
Old 4/29/07, 07:24 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
The article reads that DEI could align with Ford. Imagine Dale Jr. in a Ford (sticker car)?! Hey . . . his dad drove a Ford Thunderbird briefly in '82 & '83.
There are credible rumors that at the end of the 2007 season GM will cut back their NASCAR program to 1 team, most likely Hendrick. GM's contracts with all their NASCAR teams expire at the end of the 2007 season.
Old 4/29/07, 08:50 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may have to go buy some red if DEI switches to Ford.
Old 4/29/07, 11:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dale sr's first car was a Ford also, I think a 56 Pink one????
Old 4/29/07, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jacostang
Dale sr's first car was a Ford also, I think a 56 Pink one????
Lol, yup..they thought it was going to be red....then it dried
Old 4/29/07, 10:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Scene:
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/20..._daily275.html

Doug Yates says RYR is 100% loyal to Ford. So if this goes down (I'm startingto hope it does), it would be DEI switching to Fords (fingers crossed) or the two teams would remain with their manufacturer engines and sharing other resources (which I call unlikely).

I can see why both sides are here. Neither's had particuarly good luck competeing with the Monster Hendrick and Gibbs organizations lately, and while Toyota's suffering now their money will mean success eventually. These teams have to grow or die, and a merger would (hopefully) make them competetive. In addition to that, neither team is the favorite son of their manufacturer right now, but their combined team would definitely turn some corporate heads.

Can you imagine the size of the brick that GM fans would collectively poo out were Jr. to swap to Ford??
Old 4/30/07, 08:10 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Scene:
I can see why both sides are here. Neither's had particuarly good luck competeing with the Monster Hendrick and Gibbs organizations lately, and while Toyota's suffering now their money will mean success eventually.
According to the rumors, GM's financial analysts have studied their NASCAR program and have concluded that GM's money would be better spent elsewhere. GM is rumored to be spending about $200m / year on NASCAR and fear that Toyota is going to spend double that amount.

Even the pro NASCAR people at GM are upset that the cars all look the same and have nothing to do with production cars. In addition there is virtually no ability for the manufacturers to use and promote new technology in NASCAR.

The rumors go on to say that not only will GM limit its NASCAR program to only 1 team ( Hendrik ) but GM will not make any parts available to other teams which will force DEI and the other Chevy teams to go elsewhere.
Old 4/30/07, 08:23 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by V10
According to the rumors, GM's financial analysts have studied their NASCAR program and have concluded that GM's money would be better spent elsewhere. GM is rumored to be spending about $200m / year on NASCAR and fear that Toyota is going to spend double that amount.

Even the pro NASCAR people at GM are upset that the cars all look the same and have nothing to do with production cars. In addition there is virtually no ability for the manufacturers to use and promote new technology in NASCAR.

The rumors go on to say that not only will GM limit its NASCAR program to only 1 team ( Hendrik ) but GM will not make any parts available to other teams which will force DEI and the other Chevy teams to go elsewhere.
The only flaw I find with this rumor is the development of GM's new R07 engine program. If Hendrick is to become the sole GM team (with no customer engine packages as well) then it does not make a lot of sense that Gibbs, Hendrick, Hall of Fame Racing, and RCR (not sure if RCR have run the new engine, but they were scheduled) have used GM's new engine.

That being said, I suppose GM (under current contract(s)) could inform certain teams who is going to use what engines.
Old 4/30/07, 09:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Moosetang

Can you imagine the size of the brick that GM fans would collectively poo out were Jr. to swap to Ford??
The poo heard 'round the world
Besides Rousch Ford doesn't have a top-flite team, IMO, while Chevy has a couple. The defection could really help Ford out and Jr has always needed a capable teammate. Not too sure Rudd or Gilliland would be that teammate though
Old 4/30/07, 10:00 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

The only flaw I find with this rumor is the development of GM's new R07 engine program. If Hendrick is to become the sole GM team (with no customer engine packages as well) then it does not make a lot of sense that Gibbs, Hendrick, Hall of Fame Racing, and RCR (not sure if RCR have run the new engine, but they were scheduled) have used GM's new engine.

That being said, I suppose GM (under current contract(s)) could inform certain teams who is going to use what engines.
It's being developed under the GM's current NASCAR program. There are those in GM who want the program to continue on fully funded.

The decision on GM's future NASCAR program will be made in the next few months. Supposedly everything is on the table:
1. continue as they are now spending $200M / year and support several teams.
2. Pull the plug entirely on NASCAR
3. Scale back the program to 1 or 2 teams.

Again, all of GM's NASCAR team contracts expire at the end of the season. It looks like RCR, DEI, etc. are exploring their options in case GM pulls the plug on them.
Old 4/30/07, 10:47 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by V10
It's being developed under the GM's current NASCAR program. There are those in GM who want the program to continue on fully funded.

The decision on GM's future NASCAR program will be made in the next few months. Supposedly everything is on the table:
1. continue as they are now spending $200M / year and support several teams.
2. Pull the plug entirely on NASCAR
3. Scale back the program to 1 or 2 teams.

Again, all of GM's NASCAR team contracts expire at the end of the season. It looks like RCR, DEI, etc. are exploring their options in case GM pulls the plug on them.
I wouldn't mind seeing option #2 if others would follow, but I don't see that happening (at least with Toyota). It's basically a 'spec' series anyway.

Peter DeLorenzo has been stating for almost two years that one of the Big 3 would be pulling back, or pulling the plug. Looks as if he may in fact be correct.
Old 4/30/07, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

GM would be a fool to let Dale Jr. get away. He's by far the most popular driver. Perhaps this is merely a negotiation tactic for DEI to get a better offer for renewing GM's contract. I think we'll always see both Budweiser and GM behind Dale Jr.
Old 4/30/07, 11:16 AM
Cobra R Member

i cant see it happening, however i hope that DEI switches to ford in this deal. honestly when it comes down to it, its all in the money. if they have the ability to make more money they will go to whichever manufacturer will get them there. I still dont think that you'll see jr drive anything but a chevy anytime soon. but there is the chance. it would be so sweet to put a truex sticker on the side of my car. He is such a better driver than dei is allowing him to be right now. AND hes from jersey!!!
so we shall see, i think something is going to happen to yates soon. i mean there was a lot of talk about robby gordon buying into part of it as well.
Old 4/30/07, 01:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neil07gt
GM would be a fool to let Dale Jr. get away. He's by far the most popular driver. Perhaps this is merely a negotiation tactic for DEI to get a better offer for renewing GM's contract. I think we'll always see both Budweiser and GM behind Dale Jr.
They would, however it would be great for Ford, meaning if Jr. stays at DEI. Over the years I have been around Nascar the one thing I always felt helped GM (Chevy) with the PR world was the personalities they have in their camp. Currently, Carl Edwards is probably the most "exciting" personality on the Ford side as the rest to me despite there talent, are boring.

Gonna be one of the most interesting silly seasons that I can remember.
Old 4/30/07, 01:52 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

How about Kenseth?
Old 4/30/07, 05:38 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Over the years I have been around Nascar the one thing I always felt helped GM (Chevy) with the PR world was the personalities they have in their camp. Currently, Carl Edwards is probably the most "exciting" personality on the Ford side as the rest to me despite there talent, are boring.
Shall we go through the list of drivers that Ford supported early in their careers only to have them stolen away, mostly by GM?
Old 4/30/07, 06:28 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by V10
Shall we go through the list of drivers that Ford supported early in their careers only to have them stolen away, mostly by GM?
That would be a substantial list. And one just passed #3 on the win list.
Old 4/30/07, 08:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs down

The last one that was toatlly supported by Ford was Casey kahne, sorry if I spelled that wrong but Ford sponsored him for all his jR. Career then he just ****ed on them and went with Ray and Dodge. If thats not a slap in the face I don't know what else is.. Jeff Gordon did the same thing!!!!

Quick Reply: DEI to buy Yates?