Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

David Ragan to Front Row Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/12, 11:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Go Snake
You all are underrating the abilities of David Ragan. If you look at last season, you will see none of the Roush drivers had a really good year. The Roush cars were frequently very fast during the first third to half of most races and then just faded towards the end of each race. In order to have a good 2012 season, the Roush team has to figure out how to have their cars fast at the end of the race when it counts. No disrespect to Roush, but that was what prevented Biffle, Kenseth, and David Ragan from winning more races in 2012. The problem is Roush does not have enough teams to provide feedback to quickly improve the performance of their cars. Hendrick has had the advatage of being associated with more GM teams to maintain an advantage.
I'm not under rating him I'm under rating the ride. Some guys for what ever reason just don't get to have the career others have. Take in point Ricky Craven, Casey Mears, Casey Atwood and Dave Blaney to name a few. The 3rd or 4th ride at roush for the most part hasn't been kind to the drivers who drove them. Burton had some wins, but Benson and Mcmurray didn't have much kuck and same for Reagan. That said if the car isn't up to par then doesn't matter the talent..look at Gordon and Stewart until the turn around. Did you think Jarret forgot how to drive, no the cars sucked. Labonte forget, Bush forget no the cars sucked. It takes talent and more.
Old 1/20/12, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Only Zoran, NASCAR, and the sportscasters would say the Ford drivers had a good year during 2011. So the Ford drivers won a few token races and a few placed near the top of the points. The Ford drivers threw away about 15 races they should have won. They qualified well and were extremely fast early in the races and then faded late in the race. Watch the Homstead race again and you will see how much steering input the Roush drivers had to use to stay up front. Then look at Tony Stewart and you will see how he came from the back and passed cars like they were standing still. Tony should have been up on the wheel but was barely turning his steering wheel as he blew thru the field. The Roush teams need to get their cars to handle like that. I have much greater expectations for the Ford teams than you Zoran. True, the Daytona 500 was a big win for the Wood brothers but was only one win.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 1/20/12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 1/20/12, 08:03 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by skunk21
The 3rd or 4th ride at roush for the most part hasn't been kind to the drivers who drove them.
True, but you gotta fight not to be the 3rd or the 4th ride at Roush.
I mean, look at Carl Edwards. When he came to Roush he was the 5th driver (behind Kenseth, Biffle, Martin and Ku. Busch). In his first full time season (2nd season overall) he finished 2nd in standing. Now he's #1 at Roush because he proved himself. Unlike Ragan ...
Ragan got awesome ride from the beginning. After all, over the past few seasons he drove the same car that Mark Martin drove very successfully for 19 years before that. And what does he have to show? One win and only one Top 20 in standings over the past 5 years.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 1/20/12 at 08:05 PM.
Old 1/21/12, 12:59 PM
Cobra Member

Smile

Just because a ride is fast one year does not mean the ride will be fast the next year. Also, there are crew changes each year and different drivers have different styles that require different setups to suit their style. Now that David Ragan is with a smaller team he may have more input as how to run each race . As I said before, David makes very few errors on the track and has valuable experience on all the tracks. He is poised to win this year. I expect he will win one or two restrictor plate races and maybe win one each at Dover and Charlotte . He could also win at Chicago .

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 1/21/12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 1/21/12, 01:25 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Just because a ride is fast one year does not mean the ride will be fast the next year. Also, there are crew changes each year and different drivers have different styles that require different setups to suit their style.
Excuses, excuses.

Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle and Matt Kenseth all came to Roush teams that had 0 wins before that. Busch managed 14 wins before he left, Biffle has 16 win and Kenseth has 21 wins.
Edwards came to #99 team that Jeff Burton used to drive for. Burton drove 9 seasons for #99 team and won 17 races. Edwards took over in 2005 and has won 19 races since.
Ragan came to #6 team that Mark Martin used to drive for. Martin drove 18 seasons for Roush and won 35 races. Ragan took over in 2007 and has won only 1 race since.

Out of all Roush drivers who drove full time in NASCAR over the past ~10 years or so - David Ragan has the worst statistics. Heck, even Jamie McMurray managed to win 2 races over his 4 seasons with Roush.
Old 1/21/12, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Smile

No excuses for David. Just a statement of race team situations. David will surprise alot of people in 2012 by winning .
Old 1/21/12, 02:04 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I hope so, but I don't see that happening.

Ragan wasn't able to win with the best equipment (Roush), I don't see how's he gonna win with below average equipment (Front Row).
Old 1/21/12, 02:08 PM
Cobra R Member

restrictor plate races mean crap IMO save for daytona at that is only because it means something. Those races have produced more single winners than any other, look through both of the tracks history. I hope he gets a win in the 2012-13 season. sad you cannot face the fact that he isn't a top tier driver, and never will be. I'm hoping Biff can get back on track and I'm not worried about Matt or Carl.
Old 1/21/12, 10:31 PM
Cobra Member

Biffle will do OK if he tightens his car up more before the race starts. His car appeared to get too loose by the end of the race.
Old 1/25/12, 08:10 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

ModSpace to Sponsor Front Row Motorsports Fords: Modular construction provider ModSpace will partner with Front Row Motorsports in the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series for a multi-race primary sponsorship and season-long associate sponsorship of the #38 Ford, driven by David Gilliland. The #34 Ford, driven by David Ragan, will also carry an associate sponsorship from ModSpace for the full season. The new motorsports partnership expands an existing business relationship between the Berwyn, Penn.-based company and Front Row Motorsports owner Bob Jenkins. ModSpace is currently working with Jenkins' quick-service restaurant company to build new Taco Bell/Long John Silver's locations. The new motorsports partnership will help with another type of "building" - the continued growth of Jenkins' Sprint Cup team, which is coming off the best season in its young history. The first appearance of the #38 ModSpace Ford is scheduled for the April 14 race at Texas Motor Speedway. ModSpace is a leading provider of modular buildings, portable storage and services for temporary or permanent space needs. Building on more than 40 years of experience, ModSpace serves a diverse set of customers and markets - including commercial, construction, education, government, healthcare, industrial/energy and special events - through an extensive nationwide branch network throughout the United States and Canada. ModSpace has constructed buildings for renowned clients ranging from the Professional Golf Association (PGA) to General Motors, IBM and the U.S. Army. For more information on the company and its projects, visit ModSpace.com.(Front Row Motorsports/Breaking Limits)(1-25-2012)
Old 1/25/12, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good news, they must be doing well to be able to sponsor a cup car....
Old 1/31/12, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Question

I wiil go on record as predicting David Ragan as the winner of the Daytona 500. David just has a way of finding his way to the front at that track. David has the ability of keeping out of wrecks and saving his car for the end. He is one of the few drivers who knows how to work the traffic at Daytona. Anyone else have an idea of who will win the 500 ?
Old 1/31/12, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

I wiil go on record as predicting David Ragan as the winner of the Daytona 500. David just has a way of finding his way to the front at that track. David has the ability of keeping out of wrecks and saving his car for the end. He is one of the few drivers who knows how to work the traffic at Daytona. Anyone else have an idea of who will win the 500 ?
Stewart would be a strong runner imo. I always like my guy Kenseth, he is another great restrictor racer. I don't like the 2 car pack but sadly its here and will come down to the best 2 car runners. who is leading the 2 car pack at the time is the biggest factor or if they switch, what lap they do it and who is running around them to steal it will paly into it. much harder now to guess. Hendrick cars will be there this year for sure so the Fords really need to step it up.
Old 1/31/12, 11:20 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Most likely either Gibbs or Hendricks car.
Old 2/1/12, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

This year NASCAR has worked to change and tweak some parameters on the cars to prevent continuous two car drafts. Drivers are no longer allowed to communicate with one another. The driver who looks for any drafting partner will do better than a driver looking for his team mate. The driver looking for any chance of moving forward will win the 2013 Daytona 500.
David Ragan is not known as a reckless and crashing type of racer, so he will find partners to move to the front. Therefore, I look for David Ragan to win the 500.
Old 2/1/12, 12:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Daytona is probably his best chance to get a win or Top 5 since he's been pretty good there over the years.
Old 2/1/12, 12:52 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
David Ragan is not known as a reckless and crashing type of racer, so he will find partners to move to the front. Therefore, I look for David Ragan to win the 500.
He's also not known as a winning type of racer.
Old 2/8/12, 11:32 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

MHP to sponsor Front Row: Sport supplement company Maximum Human Performance (MHP) will bring its message to NASCAR fans for the first time, joining Front Row Motorsports as a multi-race, multi-year partner in the team's Sprint Cup Series campaigns. MHP will be a primary sponsor for multiple races in both 2012 and 2013, including the upcoming Budweiser Shootout exhibition race on David Ragan's #34 Ford and the season-opening Daytona 500 on David Gilliland's #38 Ford. MHP will also be the official sport supplement line of Front Row Motorsports and an official sponsor of the #34 and #38 pit crews. Company experts will work with the team's pit crew coach and trainers to develop nutritional and fitness plans to improve and maximize the performance of the over-the-wall crew throughout the season. "This is really going to be a unique program," said Front Row Motorsports owner Bob Jenkins. "Sponsors, of course, help make your race programs better across the board via funding, but this is a case where they're also going to make our pit crews healthier, stronger and faster. Everyone knows that a couple seconds on pit road can make a huge difference on the track. This partnership is focused on getting our athletes in the best shape possible to deliver maximum performance when it matters most." Fairfield, NJ-based MHP was launched in 1997 by bodybuilder Gerard Dente to develop premier science-based, research-driven sports supplements to help athletes achieve their greatest physical potential. The product line is used by world-class athletes, pro bodybuilders, powerlifters, strongmen and fitness enthusiasts alike. Products are sold in vitamin/supplement retail stores and online at www.MHPStrong.com.(Front Row Motorsports / Breaking Limits)(2-8-2012)
Old 2/8/12, 09:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad they found a sponsor!
Old 2/23/12, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

David Ragan played it wisely in his qualifying race. He got laps in and kept his car in one piece. He should be ready for the 500. As far as I know, all the FRM teams made the Daytona 500. Maybe one of the FRM drivers will win the 200000 dollar halfway award. Looking forward to seeing David Ragan in Victory Lane.