Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

CUP: Yates Talks Fuel Injection

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/10, 07:38 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
CUP: Yates Talks Fuel Injection

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...uel-injection/

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON FUEL INJECTION EVENTUALLY COMING TO NASCAR?

"First, I think it’s something we need to do. I think NASCAR needs to move beyond the carburetor and get into a little bit more advanced engine technology.

We’ve been working on it for awhile at the request of NASCAR, but there are still more questions than answers today. It’s something that we need to be smart about. We need to make sure that when it does roll out that everybody understands it and it’s fair for everyone. There are cost implications to it as well, so we need to manage that, especially in these difficult times that we’re going through.

But for me as an engine guy it’s exciting. It’s something new and I think for a person that has young sons that may get into the business, it would be a shame if they’re working on carburetors 20 years from now.

So I think it’s exciting, but, hopefully, NASCAR takes their time and understands that in the grand scheme of things six months doesn’t really mean a whole lot. The biggest thing is that the ball is in NASCAR’s court. They have to select a manufacturer supplier for the system and then from there we need to get together as engine builders and engine suppliers and do our diligence and make sure we roll it out properly."

HOW MUCH CONVERSION WORK IS INVOLVED, ESPECIALLY WITH A NEW ENGINE?

"I think the time is right. It does add another dimension in that it would be nice if we had the FR9 out for a season before we had the challenge of tackling this one, especially since it may take a new intake manifold to go along with this change.

I think the biggest thing is if NASCAR can just go slow and make sure we do all of our homework, then we’ll see what the future brings."