Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Congrats Carl Edwards

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/10, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The fact is there is a huge flaw in these cars and NASCAR is just hoping and praying that they get the thing off the back of the car before someone else goes flying...The big wing renders the roof flaps inept at high speeds..
Old 3/8/10, 09:49 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're working on a spoiler which will replace the wing.
Testing should start later this month and they should start using it before the Chase.
Old 3/8/10, 10:22 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
P.S. On the 100+ laps down thing:
This is something that DW has mentioned offhand at times: letting guys that far down come out and run around is inherently dangerous. First, their cars obviously aren't up to snuff or they wouldn't be in that situation. Second, you've got a guy in that car who was hoping to make a bid for the win just sitting there and stewing while a race happens without him. And all this so he can bump up a couple spots in the final order. NASCAR should have a cutoff of X number of laps down (double digits) after which a car is automatically retired from scoring and barred from returning to the track.
Agreed. I know they have a minimum speed threshold, but there also needs to be a limit on laps down. I know why they do it. Because some other guy might wreck with 100 to go and you can still pass him in the standings if he never goes back on the track, but something still needs to be done.

Originally Posted by jacostang
The fact is there is a huge flaw in these cars and NASCAR is just hoping and praying that they get the thing off the back of the car before someone else goes flying...The big wing renders the roof flaps inept at high speeds..
Agreed x 1,000,000

Originally Posted by Red Star
They're working on a spoiler which will replace the wing.
Testing should start later this month and they should start using it before the Chase.
They need to hurry up before one of these cars goes into the fence and parts go into the grandstands.
Old 3/8/10, 12:17 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Agreed. I know they have a minimum speed threshold, but there also needs to be a limit on laps down. I know why they do it. Because some other guy might wreck with 100 to go and you can still pass him in the standings if he never goes back on the track, but something still needs to be done.
I know back in the day if a car was behind that far and they knew that they couldnt advance anymore the team would actually have the driver take it to the garage for the rest of the day. No need to tear up a car if you are going to stay in the same spot.

They need to hurry up before one of these cars goes into the fence and parts go into the grandstands.
I believe Talladega Carl Edwards went into the catch fence and parts went into the stands already.
Old 3/8/10, 01:16 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
This is what they wanted. NASCAR may feign outrage over what happened yesterday, but I can guarantee they are high fiving behind closed doors. NASCAR is on a downward spiral, just look at the huge number of empty seats in the stands at races that were sold out a couple of years ago. Stuff like this draws free media publicity, and creates a rivalry that people will tune in to see what happens next (much like pro wrestling). It had become an orchestrated soap opera.

Heck, they admitted it, and even encouraged it last month..

Jan 2010, NASCAR is relaxing some of its rules this season, and encouraging drivers to show more aggression and emotion, in large part to answer a growing fan sentiment that the series had gone stale. "There's an age old saying in NASCAR that 'If you ain't rubbing, you ain't racing,' " NASCAR president Mike Helton said on Thursday. "I think that's what the NASCAR fan, the NASCAR stakeholders all bought into, and all expect."

"We will put it back in the hands of drivers, and we will say 'Boys, have at it and have a good time,' " vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said on Thursday.

Fans were incensed that the rough and tumble series they once loved had been molded into boring, follow-the-leader racing, and their favorite drivers had become too vanilla. It wasn't until last autumn -- when Hamlin waged a monthslong feud with up-and-comer Brad Keselowski, and Tony Stewart and Juan Pablo Montoya intentionally wrecked each other in the season finale -- that NASCAR finally saw the lift the emotions and personalities can deliver to the series.

Sounds to me like they got exactly what they wanted, if you are encouraging the behavior how can you punish someone for doing it? If they want a soap opera, why not go all out? Instead of driver introductions, have them all come out and have a s**t talking session before the race like wrestling. Then set up a boxing ring next to the winners circle with 3 round matches after the race for the ones that are pissed off at each other from on track incidents. Then have the winner box a kangaroo that's dressed up in a cape and tights.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/8/10 at 02:11 PM.
Old 3/8/10, 01:47 PM

I agree with that also! I am waiting to see the NASCAR (Hipocrits) Officials and see how they handle this one.
Old 3/8/10, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

BK was just asking for it. But an old school fist fight would have been better

I defend Carl Edwards

And yes those wings have got to go
Old 3/8/10, 04:28 PM
Post *****

So if Edwards robs a bank and shoots the teller, he's still all good, huh?

Teller had it coming. That's Carls money. He deserves it.
Old 3/8/10, 04:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
So if Edwards robs a bank and shoots the teller, he's still all good, huh?

Teller had it coming. That's Carls money. He deserves it.
If Carl Edwards was standing in a bank when a teller walked up, put a gun to his head, and demanded that Carl put all his money in the vault, then yes.
Old 3/8/10, 04:39 PM
Post *****

Spy photos of Nascar's COF...Car of the future...
Old 3/8/10, 04:53 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Which one is Ford? The blue one?
Old 3/8/10, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess you don't follow NASCAR very often?

What Edwards did to Keselowski today is nothing compared what Keselowski has been doing to him (and other drivers) in both Sprint and Nationwide series for the past 2-3 years.

How long have you been watching NASCAR?

Because this..."For some reason it always seems to be everyone elses fault but Carl's with alot of people. Today clinched it for me. I don't wish him harm at all, but he needs to take a look at things and see why he's involved with these things far more than anyone else.

I watched it live. It was blatant and on purpose. No denying it. I watched the interview afterward because I wanted to see what he'd say. He didnt' deny it. He just said he didn't mean to flip the guy. So I can infer that he did mean to wreck him. Lucky he didn't seriously hurt or kill somebody"... is what I saw. Did you not see the previous lap where Carl almost took himself out on the wall just to "get back" at BK? In last years Talladega's race where was BK going to go? Beneth the yellow line? C'mon...."Carl tried to force him below the line but he couldn't go because that would cost him his position. He did not turn up into him."

Anyway I didn't think this post would turn out like this...Anyone for a beer and a 'dog?
Old 3/8/10, 05:55 PM
Post *****

Which one is Ford? The blue one?

Yeah. They still got to put the stickers on them so you can tell who's who.
Old 3/8/10, 06:25 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Orphan
How long have you been watching NASCAR?

Because this..."For some reason it always seems to be everyone elses fault but Carl's with alot of people. Today clinched it for me. I don't wish him harm at all, but he needs to take a look at things and see why he's involved with these things far more than anyone else.

I watched it live. It was blatant and on purpose. No denying it. I watched the interview afterward because I wanted to see what he'd say. He didnt' deny it. He just said he didn't mean to flip the guy. So I can infer that he did mean to wreck him. Lucky he didn't seriously hurt or kill somebody"... is what I saw. Did you not see the previous lap where Carl almost took himself out on the wall just to "get back" at BK? In last years Talladega's race where was BK going to go? Beneth the yellow line? C'mon...."Carl tried to force him below the line but he couldn't go because that would cost him his position. He did not turn up into him."

Anyway I didn't think this post would turn out like this...Anyone for a beer and a 'dog?
2002 or so.

It seems to me that when Keselowski wrecks everyone else, "it's racing accident. It happens".

Yet when somebody does that to him - that driver should be suspended for attempted murder.

Carl did it on purpose, he didn't deny it and nobody thinks that it was accidental.

All I'm saying it - What goes around, comes around.
Carl didn't wreck Burton or Kenseth or another clean driver. He wrecked Keselowski who's currently the dirtiest driver in NASCAR.
Old 3/9/10, 05:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
he didn't do anything that hasn't been done a 1000 times. The result was just a little different than normal
Old 3/9/10, 07:51 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
See y'all want to bring up when they got together back in the spring race at Taladega well here is an exerpt from NASCAR.com about that lil episode............

The two drivers have a muddled past, with Keselowski having turned Edwards and sent his car airborne and into the catchfence at Talladega Superspeedway last spring as they both raced for a win. Edwards said after that incident that it was at least partially his fault for coming down on Keselowski, and that Keselowski merely did what he had to do to win the race. Edwards seemed to blame the horrific wreck, which caused some injuries to fans in the stands, more on restrictor-plate racing than the driving of Keselowski.

Pemberton indicated that Edwards more or less admitted in the post-race meeting with NASCAR officials that he intended to wreck Keselowski, but that he did not mean to send him airborne. Keselowski's car ended up landing upside down, nearly crushing in the driver's side of the roof, and was completely destroyed in the aftermath.

Earlier, Edwards spoke briefly with the media and attempted to explain his thinking.

"Brad knows the deal between him and I," Edwards said. "The scary part was his car went airborne, which was not at all what I expected. At the end of the day, we're out here to race and people have to have respect for one another and I have a lot of respect for people's safety.

"I wish it wouldn't have gone like it did, but I'm glad he's OK and we'll just go on and race some more and maybe him and I won't get in any more incidents together. That would be the best thing."

So from what I read Edwards really cant get "revenge" for that episode.

Last edited by BoogieNights; 3/9/10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 3/9/10, 09:12 AM
Post *****

2002 or so.

It seems to me that when Keselowski wrecks everyone else, "it's racing accident. It happens".

Yet when somebody does that to him - that driver should be suspended for attempted murder.

Carl did it on purpose, he didn't deny it and nobody thinks that it was accidental.

All I'm saying it - What goes around, comes around.
Carl didn't wreck Burton or Kenseth or another clean driver. He wrecked Keselowski who's currently the dirtiest driver in NASCAR.

I had to lol at the attempted murder remark Zoran. That was funny.

No one can explain rationally why they are a fan of a person or a team or on the other hand why they are not a fan. It just is. I'm certainly not criticizing you for being a fan of his or anyone for that matter. It's a race. So in that regard its just a game. Entertainment. Like football or maybe even wrestling to some degree. I was just expressing a view same as you but I'd never mean anything personal by it. And I'm pretty sure you know that after the years we've both been here.

Old 3/9/10, 10:50 AM

Edwards gets probation!!! Yeah!!

http://www.nascar.com/

Last edited by jacostang; 3/9/10 at 10:51 AM.
Old 3/9/10, 04:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

seems rational
Old 3/9/10, 05:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd never make it in nascar. Anybody 'rubs' me and bends my car - much less puts me into a wall - and I'm pulling a gun on the sob!

Quick Reply: Congrats Carl Edwards