Bernie Ecclestone doubts America will embrace Formula 1

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/11, 02:13 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bernie Ecclestone doubts America will embrace Formula 1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96787

Bernie Ecclestone doubts that Formula 1 will become a big success in America even with two grands prix in the nation from 2013. The world championship returns to the United States next year after a four-season absence, racing at a new purpose-built course in Austin, Texas, where construction was recently restarted after financial and organisational issues. A deal has also been completed to race on a street track in New Jersey the following year.
But asked in an interview with Al Jazeera whether he thought this would allow F1 to become 'big' in America, Ecclestone expressed doubts.
"We've got a maximum of two races in America and when you consider the country is as big as Europe and we've got several races in Europe, it's difficult," he said.
"If we had a lot more races there and a lot more television it would be okay.
"It's a bit like the rest of America in that they want to see a profit before they start something and it's not easy to do that."
F1 last raced in the US from 2000 to 2007, when it used the specially-constructed road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Old 12/17/11, 07:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
He is very intelligent .
Old 12/17/11, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
No, he's not. He's a money grubbing jerk who only wants to get his, and screw anyone to do it. His fee for the Austin course, JUST TO LET THE RACE BE THERE, was $25 (or 30, depending) million. And the taxpayers are going to cover that, because it's a 'revenue generator'. Right.

I expect that deal to suck... er, sorry mods, I mean 'siphon with a large amount of vaccum'... so hard that chrome will fly off a trailer hitch from 100 yards.

What Bernie needs to understand is that we simply DO NOT care about follow the leader type racing, technologically advanced cars that are so good they can **** near not need drivers anymore... no, we want *racin'*.

Well, I do anyway. I want decent racing, with opportunities to pass at any time in the track... not the first two laps, then it's how long the car lasts. The driver, and the crew, pretty much are on autopilot after that.

Unlike IndyCar and Nascar, where wrecks happen due to drivers *actually racing*.

Not that I want wrecks, mind, and especially not like the horrific ones that take out drivers permanently, but it *is* part of racing. If stuff isn't breaking, you're really not racing.

And F1 hasn't been racing in *years*.

I'm all for them showin' up, but I am in agreement: It sucks in America because it's not good enough *entertainment*.

That goofiness regarding 'profit before it's feasible...' I'm sure you really know about that, Mr. $30milliontoracehere.

Oh, and by the way... it'd help if you guys put it on channels I don't need to pay extra for. You can't generate interest if NOBODY CAN SEE IT.

/Want to go to the Austin one ONCE. Then I'd be over it.
//But I ain't rich, so it ain't happenin'.
///Boy... I guess I'm kinda pissed about it. Huh. Never really knew that about myself...

Last edited by houtex; 12/17/11 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12/17/11, 09:05 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

^+1.
Old 12/18/11, 09:15 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
yeah, I hate Eccelstone. He's only in it for the money, and I think it's absolutely ridiculous that he got that much just for allowing a race.

I thought (aside from Vettel winning every race) this season was pretty exciting. I really like the adjustable wing, it's allowed them to actually pass people instead of breaking early to not hit cars.
Old 12/18/11, 12:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
We had the F1 Race here in Phoenix and blew it, the course was foul.....
Old 12/18/11, 12:31 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rally > f1
Old 12/18/11, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
pretty much anything > f1
There. Fixed that for me.
---
I must correct something about my original post... he IS intelligent... but only in how to screw people for maximum monetary benefit. That's not up for debate. It's how racing works here he sucks at... and so does anyone who wants F1 to work here and keep trying to bring it here... it just simply... won't work.

/ok, really done with the soapbox, promise...
Old 12/18/11, 05:45 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by houtex
he IS intelligent... but only in how to screw people for maximum monetary benefit.
How's he any different than let's say Brian France from NASCAR or any other sports owner?