Old 10/6/08, 07:20 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah like 20 years ago
Old 10/6/08, 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll only be interested in NASCAR when they actually start racing stock cars. What a wild concept...
Old 10/6/08, 08:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lost interest when #3 died.
Old 10/7/08, 10:54 AM
GT Member

NASCAR has become the WWE of auto racing.
Old 10/7/08, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

nonono the professional wrestling of motorsports is monster Trucks. however i agree, smith was forced down and NASCAR is just sitting on the side making home depot/subway and gibbs happy. plus there are much better headlines in "stewart breaks winless streak" then "rookie who is barely keeping pace anywhere else pulls the upset on stewart" It puts me in a perdicament because first off nascar seems to be handing the chase to johnson again this year, and i usually want anyhting but a chevy to win the race week in and week out, but at the same time it would have been nice to see the race to go to someone who could use some press.
Old 10/7/08, 12:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese302
nonono the professional wrestling of motorsports is monster Trucks.
Old 10/7/08, 06:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Indystang
I quit watching Nascar 2 years ago. I got sick of them throwing yellows for no reason just to make close racing. People that want to see this type of bogus stuff arent real race fans. If one team is kicking butt then nascar needs to say "you boys need to get to work" instead of evening up the playing field by manipulating races and outcomes. They let earnhardt push and shove everybody around in the 80s and as long as everyone was allowed to do it that was ok. Petty won 200 races because he worked hardest and was a great driver too. Thats what racing is all about except in nascar. Its all about the money and having millions of so called fans now. Its just a big dog and pony show as far as I am concerned. Thanks for allowing me to vent here. Glad to see I am not the only one feeling that way. Great question!!!!!!
what he said ... i cant imagine being a fan without even being able to recognise the makes without #`s .. most fans today dont cheer for ford -chevy-dodge or the other brand .. the just cheer for a driver or #.. they lost me a long time ago ..
Old 10/9/08, 06:58 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Nascar cat fight today. I'm sure it was just a couple of peacocks posturing. I bet no one even needed an ice pack.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 10/10/08, 03:42 PM
Cobra Member

To me, what NASCAR has done is to make the cars just a generic piece of sports equipment like a football or a basketball. Nobody watching basketball or football cares who makes the *****, they are just concerned with the teams and players. So NASCAR tries to make it all about the drivers and teams as celebrities and making big bucks on Officially Licensed NASCAR merchandise.

But that's where NASCAR has got it wrong. Auto racing is not like those other sports, and the rivalry between car manufacturers and resemblence of the race cars to real life cars were very large parts of the appeal of stock car racing to me.

Last edited by Vermillion06; 10/10/08 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10/10/08, 06:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
more crashes less racing is what I want to see
Old 10/10/08, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I lost interest after the C.O.T.
In my mind they should have stuck with what a person could buy off of the dealership floor. It gives it that personal touch VS generic. Manufacture stickers don't do it for me.
Old 10/10/08, 09:37 PM
Post *****

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I know they preach safety, but could we actually get something that resembled and actual "stock" car. Please!!!
Old 10/10/08, 09:50 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I actually like COT. Back in the 1960s when NASCAR cars were stock cars there was barely any competition. There was one race that Ned Jarrett won by being 14 laps ahead of 2nd place finisher.
Old 10/10/08, 09:54 PM
Post *****

It's just that it is rapidly becoming an American version of formula one. Cars are indistinguishable except for paint. You definitely can't drive on Sunday and buy on Monday. Way too much invested in a handful of personalities. To me last Sunday really messed things up between me and Nascar. Nascar selected Tony Stewart as the winner. Believe me I'm no DEI or Reagan Smith fan at all, but he didn't lose that race, it was taken from him, then to add insult to injury they place him 18th. I've got a real problem with this. Can we save 3 hours and a lot of tires and gas and Nascar can just email me the winner they selected.
Old 10/10/08, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I like it when the manufactures have to be more involved to win.
It makes better cars for us. Design and concept, Wind tunnels. All that made for more competition and a better car.
What’s the manufactures incentive if all they have to do is supply a motor.
Racing has always been a test ground for better things.
I think they should eliminate the COT and start using lights for night racing, wipers for rainy days, fuel injection and get rid of restrictor plate racing. They should let real world cars race with modification.
I love Nascar racing, Night or day. Rain or shine.
This isn't what it has originated from the way it is now.
I’m sorry I don’t want to see a driver’s race only. I want to see a manufactures race and a driver’s race, working side by side to win.
It’s like watching a parking lot go round and round.
Dale senior had a passion for his race car because it was a Chevy.
Dale Jarrett and Mark Martin had a passion for they’re race cars because they were fords.
The King Richard Petty loved his race cars because they were Mopars.
Not just motors in a box to look cool.
Old 10/11/08, 05:03 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
It's just that it is rapidly becoming an American version of formula one. Cars are indistinguishable except for paint.
Take off the paint on F1 cars and I can tell them apart. There is a good bit of difference from a Sauber vs. Renault, McLaren vs. Honda, Ferrari vs. Toyota, etc. Heck, a person can tell them apart with their eyes closed as each engine makes a distinctive sound. I used to love walking into Indy and hearing the cars and their different tunes. Take off the paint on the COT and they are EXACTLY the same.

And Zoran . . . you bring up a race that happened 40 years ago!! Nothing wrong with keeping the rules tight, but better representation of manufactuer's automobile is not too much to ask (as well as air jacks, fueling rigs, fuel injection, etc.)

Dale Jarrett and Mark Martin had a passion for they’re race cars because they were fords.
Until Toyota . . err . . MWR offered Dale $20 million to drive for their team. . . .
Old 10/11/08, 09:28 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It's just that it is rapidly becoming an American version of formula one. Cars are indistinguishable except for paint. You definitely can't drive on Sunday and buy on Monday. Way too much invested in a handful of personalities. To me last Sunday really messed things up between me and Nascar. Nascar selected Tony Stewart as the winner. Believe me I'm no DEI or Reagan Smith fan at all, but he didn't lose that race, it was taken from him, then to add insult to injury they place him 18th. I've got a real problem with this. Can we save 3 hours and a lot of tires and gas and Nascar can just email me the winner they selected.
I agree with you 100%. What happened last week at Talladega is the reason why I opened this topic.
Old 10/11/08, 09:34 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Take off the paint on F1 cars and I can tell them apart. There is a good bit of difference from a Sauber vs. Renault, McLaren vs. Honda, Ferrari vs. Toyota, etc. Heck, a person can tell them apart with their eyes closed as each engine makes a distinctive sound. I used to love walking into Indy and hearing the cars and their different tunes. Take off the paint on the COT and they are EXACTLY the same.
Yeah I'm guilty of not really watching much Formula 1 at all. I assume a person that really knows can tell them apart exactly so that was not such a good example. But I think we all agree that COT makes all makes exactly the same except for stickers and motors. Heck before you know it they'll have one engine, because the big 3 plus Toyota won't have the money to put into this kind of racing development. I really think they have all factor account in the race. Manufacturer, driver, crew chief, pit crew. Make it where a manufacturers trophy is really worth something. A real bragging rights. Please make the cars at least look more like real cars. How about Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers, oh and a Solaris.
Old 10/11/08, 09:38 AM
Post *****

I've also got a real problem with teammates spinning out, sitting in the infield until the caution comes out, and then driving away like nothing happened. There is too much chicanery going on. And Nascar supports it for closer races, but also to see their chosen ones win. It's getting to be like the NBA or WWE. I guess France has a short list at the beginning of the race of who he will help to the finish line. They try as hard as they can, but they just can't seem to get Jr. to follow through with Nascar's plans.
Old 10/11/08, 09:56 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I've also got a real problem with teammates spinning out, sitting in the infield until the caution comes out, and then driving away like nothing happened. There is too much chicanery going on. And Nascar supports it for closer races, but also to see their chosen ones win. It's getting to be like the NBA or WWE. I guess France has a short list at the beginning of the race of who he will help to the finish line. They try as hard as they can, but they just can't seem to get Jr. to follow through with Nascar's plans.
It could be worse.

I remember one F1 race when Ferrari gave orders to Rubens Barrichello to stop before the finish line (he was leading at that moment) and let Michael Schumacher win. And few years later (Barrichello wasn't with Ferrari anymore) Ferrari said how all their drivers are equal to them.

Quick Reply: Anyone else sick of NASCAR?