Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Anyone else sick of NASCAR?

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/08, 07:41 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else sick of NASCAR?

It's obvious, Gibbs and Hendrick get whatever they want.
This has been happening for a while now.
Today whenever Johnson went a lap down they kept calling cautions (especially when Chad Knaus insisted) and I still can't believe that they gave a win to Stewart and not to Smith.
Old 10/5/08, 07:44 PM
GT Member

I guess if the rules say you cant go below the line then you cant go below the line. The whole last lap thing is not existant. I was actually glad to see Tony win although i'm sure thats not going to be a very popular opinion.
Old 10/5/08, 07:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

The rule also say that if the driver is pushed below the line then he can make a pass below the line.

Smith was pushed today by Stewart, if Smith didn't move below the line he would've hit Stewart.

Same thing happened last year in February during Truck race when Benson, below the line, passed another driver and finished 2nd. He was allowed to keep that 2nd place.

Here is some info from Jayski:

Below yellow line at Daytona/Talladega OK on last lap? This was posted back in Feb 2007 about the Truck Series race at Daytona. The 'rule' was metnioned at the end of ABC's broadcast, but NASCAR ruled otherwise.
Drivers throughout the Craftsman Truck Series garage were still talking about last week's [Feb 2007] three-wide finish at Daytona International Speedway. While they admitted the finish was good for television, most wondered why NASCAR allowed Johnny Benson to drive below the yellow line - Daytona's out of bounds line - to jump from third to second in the final 200 yards. Benson wasn't penalized because "if you can see the checkered flag on the last lap, anything goes," according to NASCAR spokesman Owen Kearns.(Augusta Chronicle)(2-24-2007/10-5-2008), no word on the exact ruling, problems with the ruling? take it up with NASCAR, contact info on my Racing FAQ/Contact NASCAR page.
AND from an AP story: Tony Stewart ended his frustrating winless season Sunday by earning his first Sprint Cup Series race at Talladega Superspeedway when NASCAR ruled Regan Smith's last-lap pass was illegal. Smith was in second and trailed Stewart for the final three laps around Talladega, and the rookie made one desperate attempt to grab his first career victory by ducking inside of the two-time champion to attempt a pass. Stewart blocked, Smith dove below the yellow out-of-bounds line at the bottom of the track to make the pass, and beat Stewart to the finish line. NASCAR reviewed the move - a driver is allowed to make the pass if officials believe he was forced under the line - and declared it illegal. Smith thought he was within the rules on the pass, and went with Dale Earnhardt Inc. president Max Siegel to defend himself to NASCAR. "I knew I was only going to get one shot at him," Smith said. "I knew where I was going to make my move. I don't know. I was always told that the rule is if you get forced down there, then you are the winner of the race and on the last lap, anything goes. That's what I was going with. I got forced down there, man, I had a nose inside of him and I could have piled up the whole field."(Associated Press)(10-5-2008)
Old 10/5/08, 08:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
It was a total bogus ending today. I am losing interest in it. Nascar favors certain teams.
Old 10/5/08, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Smith only made that move out of desperation. if it wasnt the last lap he never would have done that. you can say Stewart forced him down but that was Stewarts line. Its like in basketball if a guy is driving the lane you jump in front of him the foul is on you. You just cant jump in front of someone and then complain they pushed you over. I'm pullin for Edwards in the chase. No need to hate on Tony though.
Old 10/5/08, 08:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 5SPD07GT
You just cant jump in front of someone and then complain they pushed you over.
Yeah you can. In many cases is called an offensive foul.
Old 10/5/08, 08:26 PM
GT Member

in order for it to be an offensive foul you have to be set, establish your position. Smith was not established, he ducked in there at the last moment. i didnt make the decision, Nascar did, i'm just trying to provide an explanation. no offense, i think we both can agree the season can't end soon enough
Old 10/5/08, 08:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

If Smith didn't go below the line, he would crash Tony, correct? And it would it been Tony's fault since Smith already started passing him and then Stewart tried to block him. Driver's can't block when there is someone next to them, which is what Stewart did today.

I'm not blaming Tony for anything, I'm blaming NASCAR for their decision to give a win to Tony.
Old 10/6/08, 01:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They didn't just take the win away from Smith, they dropped him all the way to 18th...
Old 10/6/08, 04:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mobster
They didn't just take the win away from Smith, they dropped him all the way to 18th...
Really? Wow, i hadnt heard where they officially placed him. That sucks
Old 10/6/08, 04:57 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
If Smith would have passed high as opposed to low (knowingly taking a chance with the Yellow Line rule) there wouldn't be an issue. My observation was Smith's nose wasn't far enough along side on Tony to establish position. He had room to lift and fall back behind.

But nonetheless i am ready for some sort of BIG change in NASCAR . . . don't think I'll be getting it.
Old 10/6/08, 07:38 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Well in the future Smith will know that you either pass on the high side there, or be prepared to wreck Tony. I knew the rule about not passing below the yellow line, but I thought there would be some leeway for a force out. Did anyone, anyone of us really ever think while we were waiting for an official decision that Tony Stewart would not get the call over Smith. Not because he deserved it, but because he was Tony Stewart.

BTW, nice bonehead move Carl. Bumpdrafting on the left half only of your teammate's bumper in the middle of the turn. Maybe you should have done as Harvick said and stayed in the back of the lead pack like you were all race. Evidently you weren't ready to race it up front at Talladega.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 10/6/08 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10/6/08, 12:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
the yellow line is the biggest BS rule in nascar. It needs scrapped.
Old 10/6/08, 02:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I quit watching Nascar 2 years ago. I got sick of them throwing yellows for no reason just to make close racing. People that want to see this type of bogus stuff arent real race fans. If one team is kicking butt then nascar needs to say "you boys need to get to work" instead of evening up the playing field by manipulating races and outcomes. They let earnhardt push and shove everybody around in the 80s and as long as everyone was allowed to do it that was ok. Petty won 200 races because he worked hardest and was a great driver too. Thats what racing is all about except in nascar. Its all about the money and having millions of so called fans now. Its just a big dog and pony show as far as I am concerned. Thanks for allowing me to vent here. Glad to see I am not the only one feeling that way. Great question!!!!!!
Old 10/6/08, 03:27 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Im sick of it, smith shoulda won, if he wasnt alongside, he was far enough up to have wrecked tony if he had stayed, and 18th is complete BS!
Old 10/6/08, 03:39 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
I think it's Time to Take an Anti Celebrity Stance. The Rich Get Richer an us Poor Schmucks are Footing the Bill! Instead of Watching Nascar go to the Local Racetrack and watch Amateurs or better yet race yourself. Instead of watching Professional Football, Baseball Etc. Get out and Support your Local High School or College Team! Boycott the Wall street Fatcats! Support your own Main Street! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

BOO RAH!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/6/08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10/6/08, 05:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was BS too .. Smith was almost past Stewart's rear wheel ... and Tony came down on him ... how can you block somebody that is already 1/4 car length NEXT to you! I can see blocking ... but that was not blocking ... Smith was FORCED down by Tony and did a good job preventing a wreck.
Old 10/6/08, 05:06 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Smith should've wreck him.
Old 10/6/08, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My thoughts exactly...
Old 10/6/08, 06:30 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
+2. You've got to wreck him.

By making this decision thats what Nascar has ensured that will happen next time. Next time the the driver in Smith's position won't budge.

I haven't looked at the article but evidently they are giving him 18th basically because passing below the yellow line and not giving the position back will result in a black flag or pass through penalty. Evidently thats where Nascar felt he should be placed. Total BS.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 10/6/08 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else sick of NASCAR?