Analyzing Ford's decision to quit the NHRA-- and how it impacts J

Search this Thread

Old 8/9/13, 10:50 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Analyzing Ford's decision to quit the NHRA-- and how it impacts J

Old news, but newer article . . .

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130808/NHRA/130809866

“We made a business decision as we evaluated the Pro/Nitro level in the sport this past year, reviewing our investment, the returns from activation, television ratings and overall product/technology relevancy,” Ford Racing director Jamie Allison said. “It is vital that we align our motorsports at Ford to closely match our global products, technologies and customer outreach, especially in this ever-changing automotive world.”

In other words, the money spent in drag racing is no longer coming back to Ford. And in a somewhat ironic twist in terms of timing, Courtney Force appeared on the cover of both Autoweek's “Performance Issue” and ESPN The Magazine's “Body Issue” soon before Ford announced its pullback.
Sponsorship for the four professional series -- Top Fuel Dragster, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle -- has become elusive, especially in Pro Stock, the “factory hot rod” class. Ford Mustang driver Larry Morgan recently compared Pro Stock to a country club where only the richest of the rich can survive. (Ford's pullout from the pro classes doesn't affect Morgan directly, as he only gets parts and pieces from the manufacturer and not sponsorship dollars.)

Pro Stock has seen short fields several times this year, and even the popular Erica Enders-Stevens has been unable to race full-time because of lack of sponsorship.
There have been full fields in Top Fuel and Funny Car, but there are other issues facing those classes, mainly the TV ratings. Recently, dragzine.com reported the NHRA's qualifying and eliminations broadcasts have reached a little more than 300,000 and a little less than 400,000 viewers, respectively.

By contrast, the site said Discovery Channel's “Street Outlaws” program earned 1.5 million viewers. But what can the NHRA do to attract more viewers? Opinions differ, though many in the sport have said NHRA leadership hasn't pursued younger viewers aggressively like NASCAR has, while catering to the older-generation fans.
Old 8/9/13, 10:54 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that came as a surprise ... They left WRC last year, NHRA after 2014 ... what's next?
Old 8/9/13, 11:28 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Really what do you guys expect. Is NHRA racing events selling any cars? Do any of the Force cars really look like mustangs anyways? I'm sure the little rally focus is helping sell the focus but that's about it. I can see this starting a trend with the rest of the manufacturers. Hell the drivers alone are probably making more than the gains Ford is seeing returned.
Old 8/9/13, 11:35 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Really what do you guys expect. Is NHRA racing events selling any cars? Do any of the Force cars really look like mustangs anyways? I'm sure the little rally focus is helping sell the focus but that's about it. I can see this starting a trend with the rest of the manufacturers. Hell the drivers alone are probably making more than the gains Ford is seeing returned.
"You guys?" I don't expect anything just posting an article. And I agree with you (and it seems FMC). Much better returns with the CobraJet Sportsman program.

And the Focus isn't in rally (WRC) anymore. It is the Fiesta, for what it's worth . . .

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 8/9/13 at 11:41 AM.
Old 8/9/13, 11:42 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stands at most races are more packed than NASCAR. And the crowd is pretty lively for Force Ford wins. Top Fuel does look like a Mustang. Its pro mod that looks douchey.

As for viewership, a lot of that has to do with espn's inconsistent coverage. They start late because of some poker game or girls basketball game, the time slot gets bumped, the finish gets cut off, and the DVR can't adjust to that. Hell they didn't even broadcast Sonoma qualifying - and that's a big race in the Western Swing.

Some of these things can't be quantified on a ledger for Mulally. That's the problem - he doesn't get racing - and the generational stickiness it develops. When the brand wins that is. Of all his business acumen - and I salute him, I think this is his fault because its his weak spot in a race bred industry. He's a flyboy. Can't relate to the importance of Ford wins on race day for Ford loyalists. And those happy customers do more word of mouth advertising than his ad budget could ever reach.
Old 8/9/13, 11:42 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
rally fiesta is better

Last edited by Flagstang; 8/9/13 at 11:43 AM.
Old 8/9/13, 11:51 AM

Please excuse my ignorance of mistaking a focus for a fiesta. Like it makes a difference. Geez :/
Old 8/9/13, 11:58 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Is NHRA racing events selling any cars?
Are any racing events selling any cars? This ain't 1960s ...
Old 8/9/13, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zastava_101

Why would Ford sponsor a high dollar team but to sell cars? They ain't making that much off of tshirts. It's to promote a brand to sell cars.
Old 8/9/13, 12:17 PM
Post *****

Why would Ford sponsor a high dollar team but to sell cars? They ain't making that much off of tshirts. It's to promote a brand to sell cars.
Yes, racing sells cars. Regardless of the era.
The key to any successful ad program is frequency. Repetitive placement. Seeing your brand splashed across race cars lap after lap, race after race, is another way to reach a segment of people that aren't seeing your other ads. It reinforces their loyalty and they talk about it amongst their friends. Which reaches new buyers too.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/9/13 at 12:19 PM.
Old 8/9/13, 12:29 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Why would Ford sponsor a high dollar team but to sell cars?.
It used to work that way. Not anymore - that's why Ford is pulling out pretty much all factory support. I think the only ones left is NASCAR and Australian V8 Series ... And with Falcon being killed after 2016, they will probably withdraw from the V8 Series too in the near future.
Old 8/9/13, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Yes, racing sells cars. Regardless of the era.
The key to any successful ad program is frequency. Repetitive placement. Seeing your brand splashed across race cars lap after lap, race after race, is another way to reach a segment of people that aren't seeing your other ads.
Yep but I don't see the gains in it much any more. NASCAR is all about teams and drivers. Not manufacturers. I'm sure a few years ago, chevy sold quite a few Monte Carlos directly because of NASCAR but not a Taurus. Lol. The intro of the Chevy SS will sell them. Sports sedan compared to the fuzion which does not say race inspired whatsoever. If ford would bring a V8 falcon or Mirauder or something like that back I could see the gains from the NHRA or NASCAR. Just saying it looks like Ford is just wasting money right now sponsoring race teams.
Old 8/9/13, 01:32 PM
Post *****

It used to work that way. Not anymore - that's why Ford is pulling out pretty much all factory support. I think the only ones left is NASCAR and Australian V8 Series ... And with Falcon being killed after 2016, they will probably withdraw from the V8 Series too in the near future.
USCR will have factory support and Ford specific bodywork for the MSR racing team next year utilizing a 3.5 Ecoboost.
Old 8/9/13, 01:36 PM
Post *****

The stands at most races are more packed than NASCAR. And the crowd is pretty lively for Force Ford wins. Top Fuel does look like a Mustang. Its pro mod that looks douchey.

As for viewership, a lot of that has to do with espn's inconsistent coverage. They start late because of some poker game or girls basketball game, the time slot gets bumped, the finish gets cut off, and the DVR can't adjust to that. Hell they didn't even broadcast Sonoma qualifying - and that's a big race in the Western Swing.

Some of these things can't be quantified on a ledger for Mulally. That's the problem - he doesn't get racing - and the generational stickiness it develops. When the brand wins that is. Of all his business acumen - and I salute him, I think this is his fault because its his weak spot in a race bred industry. He's a flyboy. Can't relate to the importance of Ford wins on race day for Ford loyalists. And those happy customers do more word of mouth advertising than his ad budget could ever reach.
Blame everyone but the NHRA . . . doesn't seem like you! And Alan gets racing just fine.
Old 8/9/13, 01:38 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Blame everyone but the NHRA . . . doesn't seem like you! And Alan gets racing just fine.
What do you think NHRA should do different?
Not sure why you say the latter based on his recent history of turning his back on racing fans.
Old 8/9/13, 01:51 PM
Post *****

What do you think NHRA should do different?
Not sure why you say the latter based on his recent history of turning his back on racing fans.
Well . . . in my opinion adjust engine specifications to allow more diversity. This was always a contention and FMC always seemed to suffer. And I think returning Pro Stock back into a more "stock" looking appearance would be another option.

Alan was a big proponent on NASCARs looking more "stock" and I'm told (via some Indianapolis contacts I have) would like the same engines used in the Rolex Grand-Am series to be allowed in NASCAR. But we all know what a rumor is worth . . . and speaking of which there is also the rumor that Alan wants to be back in IndyCar. Seeing a trend? He wants FMC racing efforts to mirror production based engines to better tie into product, development, and marketing efforts.

But alas racing in general seems to be going the way of boxing, horse racing, and even baseball.

And I have no idea why Toyota dumps money into Funny Car. Marketing and advertising be damned! A Camry nose on a hemi based big block seems even more screwy than the NASCAR Camrys.
Old 8/9/13, 02:02 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Well . . . in my opinion adjust engine specifications to allow more diversity. This was always a contention and FMC always seemed to suffer. And I think returning Pro Stock back into a more "stock" looking appearance would be another option.

He wants FMC racing efforts to mirror production based engines to better tie into product, development, and marketing efforts.
Good points.

Agreed the cars should look more like what's available.
I'm not much on NASCAR but when I do watch, I can never tell what car is what brand. The labels seem awfully small. Like Al says, these days its about promoting the teams & "stars" :cough:

I was liking the Sportsmans Series but they aren't showing those this year (if the class still exists).
And I've never seen the Cobra Jet on tv.

Would like to see production based engines ramped up for racing.
Old 8/9/13, 03:07 PM
Post *****

Sportsman still exists but it is not in "regular" NHRA broadcast. That is the Cobra Jet class.

http://blogs.hotrod.com/ford-drops-n...hip-69017.html

And FMC is the only manufacturer that uses and actual production Fusion grill in Cup . . .

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 8/9/13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 8/9/13, 04:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Ford may stick with V8 series, after all Nissan's in there without having a production RWD V8 sedan. And there's already been some whispering of letting a Mustang-based car in after the Falcon is retired.

As for what else Ford is in: Ford's still going to be supporting Rally, though their focus is on Rallycross. They still support the Grand Am prototypes, and if the Grand Am-ALMS merger goes well we may see Ford back at LeMans. And just this year, Ford signed on as official sponsor of Formula Drift.

Ford's not pulling out of motorsports, they're just focusing on different motorsports than they have in the past.
Old 9/6/13, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The stands at most races are more packed than NASCAR.

ROFLMAO

Well, I guess if you put 500 people into stands that are only supposed to seat 400 then it would be more "packed" than a NASCAR event. A typical NHRA National Event will see around 20,000 people show up over the entire weekend. That's hardly comparable to the 150,000+ that show up for most Sprint Cup races.

If you really want to put this in perspective, the Dallas Auto Show had over 380,000 people show up with less than 15,000 going to see the NHRA race at the Texas Motorplex less than half an hour away.

Quick Reply: Analyzing Ford's decision to quit the NHRA-- and how it impacts J