Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

Americans in Paris, Nascar goes to Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/13, 06:10 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Americans in Paris, Nascar goes to Le Mans

I thought I had posted about this in the past, but can't find the thread/post if I did . . .

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/fe...s/viewall.html

The story goes that Le Mans organizers were attempting to spice up their game. In mid-1975, they approached Bill France Sr., doyen of NASCAR, about an "exchange of classes" between Le Mans and the 24 Hours of Daytona. France owned Daytona Speedway, and even then, what we now call the Rolex 24 was of international importance. "Big Bill" was in many ways the ultimate traditionalist and ran NASCAR with an iron fist. Yet he should be viewed as an innovator, too. Road racing was hardly new to NASCAR: Events held at natural road courses like Riverside and Watkins Glen had been a part of NASCAR's diet for years, although ovals were--and remain--its staple.

The product of this Franco-American negotiation was called the Grand International class, and its trial balloon was scheduled for Le Mans in June 1976. Two teams were selected by NASCAR: Owner/driver Herschel McGriff and son Doug would drive their Wedge-powered, Olympia Beer-sponsored Dodge Charger, and perennial privateer Junie Donlavey would bring a Ford Torino to be shared by Richard Brooks and **** Hutcherson. NASCAR and the Le Mans race organizers paid the expenses for the teams and transportation.
Attached Images   
Old 1/3/13, 08:34 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice find.