Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACS purchases ALMS Ford GT

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...hases-ford-gt/

ALMS: ACS Express Purchases Ford GT
Written by: John Dagys
01/17/2010
Chicago, IL

ACS Express Racing is poised to enter the American Le Mans Series this season. SPEEDtv.com has learned that the California-based squad has purchased a Doran-built GT-R from Black Swan Racing with the intention of moving into the highly competitive GT class.

The Mike Davis-owned team has enjoyed a long heritage with the Blue Oval. From campaigning Ford Mustangs in Trans-Am in the ‘90s to a move to World Challenge GT in 2005 with a Saleen SR, and most recent success with its self-developed Mustang Cobras, in which Mike’s son Brandon claimed the 2009 World Challenge GT title, it came as no surprise the team’s next program would also be with a Ford.

Initially developed as a project for racing entrepreneur Oliver Kuttner, the first Doran Ford GT-R debuted in 2008 in the hands of Robertson Racing. Enjoying moderate success with the husband-and-wife pairing of David and Andrea Robertson, plus veteran GT racer David Murry, the Dick Barbour-run team worked closely with Kevin Doran throughout the year to make further development to the mid-engined super car.

Most of the car’s success, though, came last year, when further off-season improvements yielded solid results. Murry put the car on pole at Petit Le Mans and posted an impressive run in the end-of-year Asian Le Mans Series rounds in Okayama, Japan, where the silver bullet led the GT2 class for over 30 minutes.

A second GT-R, fielded by Black Swan Racing, made its debut at Lime Rock in 2008 and completed the season with modest results. But after losing its partnership with Falken Tires, the Tim Pappas-owned squad was forced to sit out 2009 while it searched for additional funding.

It appears Pappas will return for this year, but not with the Ford GT-R, as it’s been sold to Davis for ACS’ campaign. While without the extensive amount of race and testing miles of the Robertson example, the ex-Black Swan car boasts aerodynamic developments that were undertaken by the team during the second half of 2008. Davis said he expects to take delivery of the car next week.

ACS has yet to announce further specifics of its ALMS program, including drivers, and the future of its World Challenge GT program. SPEEDtv.com will have more on this developing story over the next few weeks.
Old 1/18/10, 04:56 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Very interesting. Although I would rather see a Mustang in GT2 as opposed to the Ford GT which, in my opinion, is a little long-in-the-tooth. However, I wouldn't mind seeing Brandon behind the wheel in ALMS!!
Old 1/19/10, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how long a car is ACO legal after production stops. The last street GT was built 4 years ago. Also, I'm not excited about the prospect of a championship-contending World Challenge team becoming a field-filling ALMS team. Anyone seen Lou Gigliotti lately?

That said, I think the Robertson Racing car showed that the Doran GT does have some potential with the right drivers behind the wheel. Unfortunately, only 1/3 of their lineup was the right driver. Brandon+ another fast driver+ Michelins might just be interesting.