Motorsports All motorsports action here, regardless of manufacturer

2014 Rolex 24 at Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/14, 04:19 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Some Daytona 24 information. Here is a live stream of 4 teams and IMSA.com will have race stream coverage starting at 9pm. http://stream.speedtv.com/mobile/rolex24

There was a very bad accident around 5pm with the Gainsco DP driven by Memo Gidley and a Ferrari with Matteo Malucelli driving. Memo is conscious, but no word on Matteo.

EDIT. . . . word is Malucelli got out of the car, but I can't seem to confirm.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 1/25/14 at 04:31 PM.
Old 1/25/14, 04:25 PM
Post *****

Ford DPs looking good and the twin turbo sixers sound good!

At the beginning of the race Calvin Fish stated that in his talks with Jamie Allison (FMC) that Ford may be interested in a Mustang GTLM program! Which would mean that the Mustang could return to Le Mans! Wonder if it too would use the EcoBoost TT V6 from the DPs. Those engines are pushing past 600hp and use 70% stock components.
Old 1/25/14, 06:50 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm more than a bit irritated that I can't watch most of the race. I'd like to know just how many people actually have Fox Sports 2. I can understand not showing all 24 hours (i'm going to be furious if they don't show all 24 of LeMans), but to take it off air in most places for prime afternoon watching? That's ridiculous
Old 1/25/14, 07:31 PM
Post *****

The streaming on IMSA.com isn't the best . . . seems a bit overloaded. I switched over to stream.speedtv.com and it seems to be working better.
Old 1/25/14, 08:07 PM
NTTAWWT

I never could find the IMSA Stream, and the speed stream is all sketchy for me. Pauses for a sec, then runs at double time to catch up, then pauses again. Fox has really dropped the ball on this one. I'm going to be quite cross if they screw up LeMans this bad.
Old 1/26/14, 07:19 AM
Post *****

Agreed!

And the Ford's need a slight adjustment to their restrictors to better the Balance of Performance with the Corvette DPs. They just don't have the top end speed they need.
Old 1/26/14, 02:55 PM
NTTAWWT

Crazy ending! I'm not sure what to think about the Audi/Ferrari deal at the end.
Old 1/26/14, 03:07 PM
Post *****

I love the Lizards!! Probably my favorite ALMS team over the past decade, but the Level 5 Ferrari deserved the win, in my opinion. That was a racing incident pure and simple. They both had position, and I thought they raced clean.
Old 1/26/14, 04:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Agreed!

And the Ford's need a slight adjustment to their restrictors to better the Balance of Performance with the Corvette DPs. They just don't have the top end speed they need.
There was a last minute change to the rules a few weeks before the race and that gave the Cheater Chevy Teams an advantage over everyone in the field. Both announcers talked about it.... So now Nascar is involved in this series also?
Old 1/26/14, 04:23 PM
Post *****

Yup! NASCAR does own the series now. That being stated I will accept a little less parity as opposed to a spec series. It will be interesting to see if any adjustments are made prior to Sebring.

The Ford's were faster at The Roar, but not reliable. Though I'm not sure there was a direct connection.
Old 1/26/14, 04:26 PM
Post *****

And IMSA overturned their penalty on Level 5, so they were awarded the win. Good decision, in my opinion.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/le...ty-overturned/
Old 1/26/14, 07:40 PM
NTTAWWT

And IMSA overturned their penalty on Level 5, so they were awarded the win. Good decision, in my opinion.

Definitely a good decision. I like the Lizards too, but that was just a racing thing.

And that last caution was pretty crap anyway, I know they were concerned after the wreck early with a slow car, but that Porsche smacked the barrier, and got going again almost immediately.
Old 1/27/14, 08:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! They did the right thing there! But still stole the glory....
Old 1/28/14, 05:42 AM
Post *****

This is a GREAT article!!

The Way It Is/ A bumbling start
http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no418.html

I heard an earful from many people in the garage at Daytona and decided to sit down for a pair of thorough discussions about the teams' worries with Chip Ganassi's sports car team manager Tim Keene and Extreme Speed's director of operations Rob Hill. Ganassi's team races Ford V6 turbo-powered Riley Daytona Prototypes while Extreme Speed runs HPD ARX-03b-Honda P2 cars so Keene and Hill provide perspective from both sides of the TUSC's performance-balancing game.

"The most frustrating thing for us is the rules administration keeps giving us a very limited amount of time to respond," Keene commented. "They keep issuing new technical bulletins asking to make changes in an impossibly short space of time.

"We know this is a work in progress. But they're trying to balance the performance too much and make all the cars the same where we would rather see something that said: here's your low downforce number and here's your high downforce number and let us decide where we want to run in between those numbers. That's what we would like to see rather than the sanctioning body telling us we have to run this amount of downforce. You've got to allow the teams to play with it.
"I've had dinner with Robert Yates and his guys and they say it would be a lot easier for them to run with Hendrick and the other big teams if NASCAR would open up the rules rather than trying to make all the cars be the same. Yates believes they could more competitive at more tracks if NASCAR would allow them to play around a bit and I'm sure they're right from what I've seen here.

"The sanctioning body is trying to do our jobs for us, which is frustrating. It's up to us to balance performance, not them. There's got be some rules but we have too many. You've got to open up the box or window so it's not too small to get through."