Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Is it woth it?

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/09, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
My GT500 should be here soon and i am still playing with the idea of sending the car to Vegas to get the supersnake package installed at shelby. But everytime i look at pics of the new SS i start noticing how tacky some of the stuff is like the side scoops and the way they used the normal hood pins vs their Shelby GT hood pins. Really the car will never be raced or see much road time (i have my 06 GT for that). Would i just be better off with leaving the GT500 the way it is and just change unseen things like the exhuast and suspension, or go for broke and get the SS. I mean i could do stuff like SHR louvers and maybe try to get the SS chin spoiler and hood, for sure i will get the SS wheels. I just can not justify paying an extra 30 grand for a new supercharger and some minor mods that i could do myself for less, but at the same time knowing i have a Super Snake makes me reconsider since it would be modded and documented.
No way...first off I think the non SS GT500 looks so much better. The Alcoas are such an aggressive offset on the rears you can't go with wider tires, and going to a 9" rim with a car that has a 57/43 weight distribution and you go to a more narrow rim when you are fine with the non SS 9.5" that would accomodate a 275/35/19 beautifully and that hideous hood.

Sorry you see where I am going with this.

Just get one of the FRPP suspension packages, upgraded blower and software and call it a day. If you want to splurge get a nice set of HRE wheels in custom offsets so you can run wider rubber in the rear therefore equating to better traction and you will leave that SS in the dust.

Dave
Old 9/11/09, 05:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
The Alcoas are such an aggressive offset on the rears you can't go with wider tires...
+1. The 20" Alcoas allow 275 rear and 255 front max. Like Dave said, HRE, (real) GT, even Fikse rims would be a better choice.

Last edited by WaltM; 9/11/09 at 05:55 PM.
Old 3/3/10, 04:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Unless you have a new born son and you want to give him the car when he finishes college, stay with the base GT500 and deposit the 30k in Hip-Pocket National Bank. It's a nice car but far too expensive for what you are getting. That car is for folks with more money than brains.
Old 3/3/10, 07:20 AM

Like everyone else says do it yourself and save alot of coin.
Old 3/3/10, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Same thoughts here.. I've got the Shelby on order, but can't see the value in the SS upgrade. All the reviews I've seen mention how it gets more power and less traction... Bad combo IMHO. I'm going to look into pulley/tune and work on getting some fatter rubber in the back.

I seem to be one of the few that actually "like" the SS hood on the 2010 and will be looking for that as a one off piece down the road when Shelby offers it alone for sale. Rumors say end of year, but no price yet.
Old 3/3/10, 06:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
My GT500 should be here soon and i am still playing with the idea of sending the car to Vegas to get the supersnake package installed at shelby. But everytime i look at pics of the new SS i start noticing how tacky some of the stuff is like the side scoops and the way they used the normal hood pins vs their Shelby GT hood pins. Really the car will never be raced or see much road time (i have my 06 GT for that). Would i just be better off with leaving the GT500 the way it is and just change unseen things like the exhuast and suspension, or go for broke and get the SS. I mean i could do stuff like SHR louvers and maybe try to get the SS chin spoiler and hood, for sure i will get the SS wheels. I just can not justify paying an extra 30 grand for a new supercharger and some minor mods that i could do myself for less, but at the same time knowing i have a Super Snake makes me reconsider since it would be modded and documented.

If it's new Keep it as is Warrenty reason's etc and if you really want to make **** sure it's blessed by FORD cause if you take the car in for service and they see other you just may be declined ???