Notices
'10-14 Shelby Mustangs

Wheel configuration

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/15, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel configuration

What exactly is the functional purpose of the staggered wheel size on these cars ? I'm wanting to buy wheels/tires and I really would like to understand why we have 20s on the back. I am not interested in any aesthetic reasons only street/track handling. Thanks!
Old 6/12/15, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Better cornering. The shorter sidewall doesn't flex as much. This means the car responds better when you ask it to take a turn, as the car doesn't 'lurch' into it, it just goes into the turn, and 'bites' sooner than a taller sidewall.

Reduced wheel hop. The shorter sidewall won't torque up near as much. That will disallow the wheel hop you might get from a taller sidewall as the outer edge sticks, but the inner edge continues to be turned by the wheel... when the tension is at max, the tire will spring back into 'normal', and the wheel hop happens. You either want a burnout, or you want to *freaking leave*, but when you get both, wheel hop, and it just shakes the car and signifies nothing.

'Bout it really. Except the looks, which ya don't care 'bout.

The fronts are smaller for steering/clearance purposes.

It is NOT required to have a staggered setup. You can square it up if you want. It's a looks/performance thing.

Last edited by houtex; 6/12/15 at 09:19 PM.
Old 6/13/15, 01:30 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Staggered also means No front to rear tire rotation for longevity of your investment. I would go square. If the car is set up right suspension wise and more or less a street car and some track use. This is how I would roll. But it's your car and your investment.
Old 12/5/17, 08:59 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
Better cornering.
I know that's a theory, but the actual racers I see (racing on a track regularly) run like 18" wheels. I don't see racers using 20" wheels.

I do see people changing to 20" wheels in droves because they think they look cool... then complaining about the rough ride.

Personally I like 18" wheels better, because they ride SOOOO much smoother than the ultra hard walled 20" tires. I changed my GT Track pack car from 19" Pirellis to 18" PSS and like it so much better.
Old 12/5/17, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just realized I dug up an old thread... oops