Search this Thread

Old 12/1/11, 07:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video explaining why Ford went with 285's on the rear of the 2013

Old 12/1/11, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

It sounds like they know what they are doing...we will see soon enough.

(there is a complete overview of vehicle & engine, link is on svtperformance.com)
Old 12/1/11, 09:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by D1ck_Cheneyx
It sounds like they know what they are doing...we will see soon enough.

(there is a complete overview of vehicle & engine, link is on svtperformance.com)
Yes. I think some people forget that this car needs to be balanced in all areas- daily driver, drag and track. While the larger tires on the rear would be of benefit to the drag strip it would less suitable to other areas. It's a balancing act an auto maker must do. Once you have the car you can modify to fit your exact needs.
Old 12/1/11, 09:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
Yes. I think some people forget that this car needs to be balanced in all areas- daily driver, drag and track. While the larger tires on the rear would be of benefit to the drag strip it would less suitable to other areas. It's a balancing act an auto maker must do. Once you have the car you can modify to fit your exact needs.
Exactly, i want mine for street driving and occasional auto-cross. If you want a drag car throw some diffrent tires on and head to the strip. Either way just give us the price, release date and ill be there.
Old 12/1/11, 11:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
God he is a horrible speaker on camera. Why couldn't they have given the guy a couple takes! I feel bad if he's reading this, but he has to be making at least $200k; that many uhhs and umms is unacceptable when you're the prime representative at a major auto show....
Old 12/2/11, 12:17 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
God he is a horrible speaker on camera. Why couldn't they have given the guy a couple takes! I feel bad if he's reading this, but he has to be making at least $200k; that many uhhs and umms is unacceptable when you're the prime representative at a major auto show....
I'd rather he be a capable engineer than a public speaker so I'm fine with it and I think its better than some pretty face reading off the eyelid teleprompter.
Old 12/2/11, 12:29 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bob
I'd rather he be a capable engineer than a public speaker so I'm fine with it and I think its better than some pretty face reading off the eyelid teleprompter.
I dont care if he sounds like sloth from the goonies if the car is everything i hope it to be.
Old 12/2/11, 12:47 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought he did ok for off the top of the head type of discussion. No way he makes 200.
Old 12/2/11, 01:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
That's fair. He makes at least $100k though. I'm just saying, if they're going to go on camera and speak, they could use a little practice in doing so...
Old 12/2/11, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

It just sounded like he was trying to explain it simply without getting technical. always a challenge for an engineer. I think he did well, but this thread is about the new monster pony... I think those 285's will be fine given all the tech they put into the launch. It's so refreshing to see that ford's attack on handling carries over to the big boy as well. Can't wait to see this thing actually drive tho... It's all speculation until then
Old 12/2/11, 07:01 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Makes sense to me. Just buy some dr's and call it a day
Old 12/2/11, 10:16 AM
GT Member

Interesting. Should feel more like a Ford GT...I like that.
Ya know, based on his view/explanation of rear tire size, the trackpack
should have wider tires, right?
just sayin...
Old 12/2/11, 10:56 AM
GT Member

Maybe he needs a teleprompter. Read, and look right...to left....to right....and then to left again. Like, well you know...

I've seen Mr. Hameedi on youtube clips before. It's obvious he's a little uncomfortable on camera. I don't really care. He's definitely doing a better job than I'd do on camera.
Old 12/2/11, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlueDiamond
Interesting. Should feel more like a Ford GT...I like that.
Ya know, based on his view/explanation of rear tire size, the trackpack
should have wider tires, right?
just sayin...
The trackpack is geared for road racing and auto cross, not the drag strip. They have the Supersnake for that.

For a lot of purists out there, the mustang will always be a straight line car. However, you have to remember that Ford is pushing the mustang to be a world car. By and large the rest of the world cares about handling and road holding prowess. Not straight line performance.

I think you'll continue to see this type of evolution for this car.

At any rate, it's not really an issue anyway. If you're a drag racer at heart, it's not a huge imposition to put a bigger set of wheels and tires in the back.
Old 12/2/11, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

He did better than me and I'm an engineering VP - I hate doing presentations.

I only care about the tech from the technical guy, I really don't care how he speaks.

He's probably making 120 - 150k, though depending on his responsibilities it could vary quite a bit.

Anyway, some 305 drag radials will do wonders. Heck, I'll take the extra wheel torque and will be adding the drag radials to my car - they'll last a season based on my experience. So, $700/year for rear tires.
Old 12/2/11, 01:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I thought he did ok for off the top of the head type of discussion. No way he makes 200.
lets see, Big Three's 66,000 salaried employees make an average of $122,500..
I'm guessing $200k sounds about right

Last edited by cinque35; 12/2/11 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12/3/11, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
No way he only makes 200.
Corrected.
Old 12/4/11, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

You know what 285's didn't work on the 07 GT500 with 500hp and they sure as **** won't work with 650hp! End of story. Once again no traction till 3rd gear. The New ZL1 will have 285's front and 305's rear. It will be interesting to see how it compares

Last edited by 94gt; 12/4/11 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12/4/11, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 94gt
You know what 285's didn't work on the 07 GT500 with 500hp and they sure as **** won't work with 650hp! End of story. Once again no traction till 3rd gear. The New ZL1 will have 285's front and 305's rear. It will be interesting to see how it compares
Umm did you watch the video?? Have you done any reading on this subject?? I think this car with this much power will accelerate quicker and better composed then the previous models would. Taller first gear, taller rear gear and launch control will combine to make the car much more composed off the line.
Old 12/5/11, 09:49 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 94gt
Thats not entirely the fault of the 285's size, the first gen GY SC tires flat out sucked and Ford could still play with pinion and/or control arm angles. Besides going to a wider tire while still maintaining the same overall diameter doesn't really do that much for traction from a dig. The benefit is skewed more toward lateral road holding (contact patch is more a function of weight x air pressure) in this case.

Much of the gains from the 2010 to 2011 models has been a switch to the 2nd gen GY SC tires.

In order to get really good traction gains in forward acceleration you would have to go with a taller tire as well and/or reduce air pressure and/or run a softer compound.

If you check alot of German cars they skew tires sizes a bit more but they run really high air pressures in the rear to compensate. I've seen tire placards calling for as much as a 12 psi difference (like 29 in the front and 41 in the rear) so that they dont run into the problems Hameedi was refering to.

Quick Reply: Video explaining why Ford went with 285's on the rear of the 2013